PDA

View Full Version : Sod Removal

JHill321
01-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I want to offer Sod Removal along with my other services. What should I charge? I have my own sod cutter so no need to rent. Would I charge by the square feet? How much a square foot? I would just be removing the old sod, taking it away and rakeing up the yard. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Patriot Services
01-26-2012, 05:25 PM
How many requests for removal only have you had? :usflag:

Hughes Landscaping
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Would you be installing new sod once you remove the old sod? I charge between $1-$2 per sq ft and that incudes prep (tilling and raking).

JHill321
01-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Would only be Removing the old sod hauling it off and tilling and raking. No new sod installation.

Patriot Services
01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
A hundred bucks per 1000sq ft. Provided you have a place to dump. slightly more if you have to pay disposal fee.:usflag:

JHill321
01-26-2012, 06:42 PM

ed2hess
01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I find that there is NO need to do any tilling when doing resod. Simply use a big bagger to cut the old grass down to soil. Then replant. All that tilling get a lot of fluff under the new sod and then you have to roll it down. I simply run a WB over new sod.

Patriot Services
01-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Ed makes a good point. If you set the cutter shallow you can just remove the grass and leave most of the good soil behind. This should give you enough material to rake level. Tilling should only be done for severly compacted soil or if you are incorporating better organic matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Ed makes a good point. If you set the cutter shallow you can just remove the grass and leave most of the good soil behind. This should give you enough material to rake level. Tilling should only be done for severly compacted soil or if you are incorporating better organic matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with this too. I am not a big fan of removing more of the soil horizon than needs to be removed. This is where alot your good live supporting materials are so why would you remove it all?:hammerhead: plus it is more work. Hit is with the sod cutter just enough to remove the old turf....rake out debris ....install new sod.

Patriot Services
01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Another reason I don't like tilling yards is you "find" things. Shallow irrigation, cable tv, dog fences and other shoddy contractor issues. If your really unlucky you find the house main electrical feed 2 inches down.
Posted via Mobile Device

JHill321
01-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Makes alot of sence. How deep should I set the cutter? Most sod is about 2 inches thick right? an inch 1/2 should be ok to remove the old turf? I deff dont want to be tearing up and wires or cutting into any pipes.

Patriot Services
01-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Start with the blade against a flat surface like the driveway. Each machine is a little different. Experiment and you will find the sweet spot. I didn't change mine all season after I set it. Mine is a BG 4 wheel. Ryans and Classens handle a little different.
Posted via Mobile Device

JHill321
01-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys.