PDA

View Full Version : 4 vs 5 day work week

TTM42
01-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I recently posted about the pros and cons of a 4 vs 5 day work week. People said that you save money and gas and time doing it 4 days instead of 5 and I just don't see how thats possible. If you work 4 10 hr days your still going to have to do the driving that your going to have to do on the 5th day and your still going to use the same amount of gas and plus working 10 hr days runs a worker down more than 5 8 hr days, especially myself being 43 yrs old. Im thinking worker productivity would go down with the longer days, can anyone shed any light on anything Im missing?

weeze
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
i agree. i think some of them might live several miles from where they work so if they drive 15miles to get to a neighborhood then only working 4 days would keep them from having to drive 30miles more per week. (back and forth from the neighborhood) in other situations like mine yards i mow are less than 3-5 miles from where i live so it's not a big deal. some are a bit farther but some are closer as well. the closest is 1mile away and the farthest is maybe 10miles away.

TTM42
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, keep them coming please.

Mahoney3223
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
do you have employees

4 seasons lawn&land
01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I dont know how you could keep up with a full 5 day week that is full of mowing and maintenance. What if it rains?

TTM42
01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Im working on finding good employees now, that will be another thread I start :) Like I said in my previous post, I just don't see how you can save any money or time doing a 4 day vs 5 day work week, if anyone can prove me wrong then Id like to know.

weeze
01-26-2012, 06:11 PM
if you have a tight route then it shouldn't be any different. you would spend the extra 2hrs x 4 days burning just as much gas as working 1-8hr day and you would be paying any employees the same amount of money either way.

TTM42
01-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking as well

agrostis
01-26-2012, 07:15 PM
You are going to burn the same amount of gas. So what. I would much rather work 4 x 10. It make's for a happier employee. That is going to save you money in the long run.

sealcutter
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
I recently posted about the pros and cons of a 4 vs 5 day work week. People said that you save money and gas and time doing it 4 days instead of 5 and I just don't see how thats possible. If you work 4 10 hr days your still going to have to do the driving that your going to have to do on the 5th day and your still going to use the same amount of gas and plus working 10 hr days runs a worker down more than 5 8 hr days, especially myself being 43 yrs old. Im thinking worker productivity would go down with the longer days, can anyone shed any light on anything Im missing?

Is this something your are considering to do or you just want to debate it? I can think of 2 good reasons for us. But truth be told this last season we were cutting 5,6, and 7 days a week depends. For me I think it would be the added wheel time.

TTM42
01-26-2012, 08:52 PM
This is something that I am considering doing, like I said, Im just looking for input to make a decision

weeze
01-26-2012, 08:56 PM
You are going to burn the same amount of gas. So what. I would much rather work 4 x 10. It make's for a happier employee. That is going to save you money in the long run.

it depends. to some yes because they love the idea of a 3-day weekend. to others it sux because they have to work longer hrs and have less time at the end of each day for things outside of work. to some people life outside of work is something they do every day not just on the weekends. others are workaholics and want to work 15hrs a day. i guess it depends on what type of workers you have.:dizzy:

sealcutter
01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Like I said it would be wheel time for us. Time spent going back to the same area you came from the day before. Like Jason said if you tight you are ok but if your work is spread out it makes sense to hit what is close when you are in the area. So it save you time and gas on no return trip the next day.

landscaper22
01-26-2012, 09:06 PM
it depends. to some yes because they love the idea of a 3-day weekend. to others it sux because they have to work longer hrs and have less time at the end of each day for things outside of work. to some people life outside of work is something they do every day not just on the weekends. others are workaholics and want to work 15hrs a day. i guess it depends on what type of workers you have.:dizzy:

Haha! That's basically it! It would be more of an employee perk to me. I could care less, but I will say that when it is 100 degrees I sure don't like to work 10-11 hours in that heat. I would rather stretch it out over 6 days and get off by 2-3 in the afternoon. My energy is gone by that time in the heat.
As far as saving money/gas, you would still have to cover the same area and service all the same accounts so it should be the same. Like someone mentioned, the only thing is, if you have a shop a distance from your house it would save you one trip, and your employees could save fuel by not driving to work that one day.