PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Blades Should I be Running?

dobronos
01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Right now my Scag Turf Tiger with 52" Advantage deck has high lift blades on it. While talking to the guy at the Scag dealer he recommended that I get rid of the high lift blades, because they create too much turbulence under the deck that can damage the cut and deck. He said I should get gator blades or standard blades instead. He also said that I could run two different blades. I could run one high lift blade on the side of the discharge and two of the same blades (gator or something else) on the middle and left side. What do you guys think and what do you run personally? It is the advantage deck, so if someone does have a model with the same deck, your input would be great. I do want something that will lay down a nice stripe too and I have heard that high lift usually do the best at striping. I don't know which direction to go.. Thanks - Mike

weeze
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
there's nothing wrong with high-lift blades. that is what most guys on this site use on their mowers. you could try some g6 fusion gator blades though if you wanted. the g6 blades are high lift as well. they just have the gator part and a sail rather than only a sail like normal high lifts.

dobronos
01-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks! and does anyone else have any imput!? - Mike

orangemower
01-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Why do you have to change them? Is there a problem with the cut quality? Being where you live, I'd leave the high lifts on. I use them all but year round. The only time I change is during leaf clean up where I put gator blades on. I haven't tried it, but I think I'm going to try a gator blade on the discharge side with high lifts on the others. I have a 61" deck on my Scag and it seems that the gator blades chop up the grass blades too fine and leave small clumps here and there. With all high lifts, it leaves a windrow if the grass is tall and the grass blades don't get cut into small pieces. I'm thinking that the gator blade will help some on chopping them up better without leaving a blanket of grass laying.

Landrus2
01-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Just keep them sharpened all you got to do on your side
After market blades or good blades you will notice they don’t last as original blades

dobronos
01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Okay, and the reason im asking is because i have never cut grass with the turf tiger. i just recently bought it, so I don't know how the blades will cut.. -Mike
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
It will cut great the way it is on the types of grass you're cutting. Don't let the dealer tell you different. Wait patiently until you can cut grass with it. You'll be very pleased by the finish cut you get with the mower. Besides that, you can swap blades in minutes if you feel the stock blades are not cutting well enough. I'd sit back and wait until the time comes to see what the mower will do.

mowerbrad
01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Depending on your soil type, high lift blades can actually cause premature wear on the deck and components. You will notice the heavier wear in sandy soils where the high lift blades will actually pick up more sand and basically sand-blast the deck. Since high lifts move so much more air than low lifts, they are much tougher on the deck.

So if you are in an area with sandy soil, I you may benefit from switching to lower lift blades, at least when it is particularly dry out and dust is an issue.

dobronos
01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
This really helps me out! Thanks! -Mike
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
What conditions are you mowing in on a daily basis? Like Brad said, is the soil sandy at all? If not and the lawns are all top soil then the high lifts should do well. Otherwise you should go to a lower lift blade. The biggest problem I've found is that the less air flow you have, the less it throws the clipping to disperse them which leads to clumping.

dobronos
01-27-2012, 11:38 PM
I just cut areas with top soil, so no sandy conditions. -Mike
Posted via Mobile Device