PDA

View Full Version : Bid Sheets The Old Fashion Way

Mlawonn
01-26-2012, 09:41 PM
So, as February is around the corner, I am going to start writing bids. However, I have been reading on some unusual ways to bid on this site...(lots of weird services..no wonder why they go out of business LOL)

I was going to do it the old fashion way: carbon copies

3 copies:

1, I keep, 2 get sent to the potential client. If they like it, they sign both, and then send one back.

Is this too old fashioned for people? I am more tech savy, but thats what I have been told.

RLS24
01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
if you're doing commercial bids or anything thats more than "Weekly Lawn Maint includes mowing, trimming edging and blowing - $30" then I would have something to take notes on when you look at the place, and then go home and prepare something typed up thats a little more professional. Especially for commercial accounts, you want to go into a lot of detail about what you're gonna do there, and having a professional presentation with them is everything. I do like the 3-part form idea for a quick lawn maintenance or simple landscape job estimate though!

Mlawonn
01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
if you're doing commercial bids or anything thats more than "Weekly Lawn Maint includes mowing, trimming edging and blowing - $30" then I would have something to take notes on when you look at the place, and then go home and prepare something typed up thats a little more professional. Especially for commercial accounts, you want to go into a lot of detail about what you're gonna do there, and having a professional presentation with them is everything. I do like the 3-part form idea for a quick lawn maintenance or simple landscape job estimate though!

Alright. I have bid sheets with carbon copies already made up...like you said, it has the weekly lawn maintenance info etc, monthly cost and seasonal cost all broken down.

With that being said, are you saying that I should use these for quick bids and use software for more detailed jobs? I've done it both ways...written bids on carbon copy sheets and used excel for a proposal/bid sheet.

More input please :)

grass-scapes
01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Alright. I have bid sheets with carbon copies already made up...like you said, it has the weekly lawn maintenance info etc, monthly cost and seasonal cost all broken down.

With that being said, are you saying that I should use these for quick bids and use software for more detailed jobs? I've done it both ways...written bids on carbon copy sheets and used excel for a proposal/bid sheet.

More input please :)

Ask yourself this....
Would you rather have a contractor working on your house who:

A. Writes down with a pen on carbon paper a price on a form with no specifications for your job.

B. A formal, printed quote with complete specifications, terms, payments, insurance documentation, referrals on company letterhead.

Same price.

Mlawonn
01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Ask yourself this....
Would you rather have a contractor working on your house who:

A. Writes down with a pen on carbon paper a price on a form with no specifications for your job.

B. A formal, printed quote with complete specifications, terms, payments, insurance documentation, referrals on company letterhead.

Same price.

See, what you are not understanding is:

Insurance information is already pre-printed on the sheet, there is a large area for specifications (price, tasks, how many services etc), and there is a broken down area for monthly/yearly payments.

Im not a moron :hammerhead: but that's the way I learned it from a lawn service who has been in business 40 years. Was wondering your opinion

Thanksman
01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
So, as February is around the corner, I am going to start writing bids. However, I have been reading on some unusual ways to bid on this site...(lots of weird services..no wonder why they go out of business LOL)

I was going to do it the old fashion way: carbon copies

3 copies:

1, I keep, 2 get sent to the potential client. If they like it, they sign both, and then send one back.

Is this too old fashioned for people? I am more tech savy, but thats what I have been told.I do it the way you mentioned. Unless I feel that it shopuld be handeled a different way

grass-scapes
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Insurance information is already pre-printed on the sheet, there is a large area for specifications (price, tasks, how many services etc), and there is a broken down area for monthly/yearly payments.

Im not a moron :hammerhead: but that's the way I learned it from a lawn service who has been in business 40 years. Was wondering your opinion

and thats what you got.....

And then, after you became adamant that you were doing it right, even after asking opinions, your very next post shows you really don't know what you want to do.

grass-scapes
01-27-2012, 12:45 PM

And how do you expect one to understand when you don't really give all the facts. I do lawn care because I am not a psychic.....