PDA

View Full Version : What kind of protection from ticks are most of you using??

fireman1000
01-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I've had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Twice and infected with lyme with this last infection. It almost killed me both times. I must mow to help pay bills but wondered what everyone has used with the best results to keep the ticks away.

KS_Grasscutter
01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I had a very minor case of Lyme disease this last summer, that stuff is real serious I am glad I didn't get it real bad.

I guess my only advice is try not to walk through tall grass or brush if you can avoid it. Also throw your clothes in the washer right when you walk in the house, and hop in the shower. Thoroughly check in your hair and other areas they can hide and latch on.

Oakleaf landscape
01-26-2012, 11:02 PM
That's my girlfriends job. But seriously, I require everybody to wear long pants and boots. If we are in tall grass or brush we wear long sleeves as well. Just make sure to check yourself over after days of work like that.

ashgrove landscaping
01-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Check your self every night!! And have the ol lady check you. I've had lyme for 7 years and I now have to be on a regimen of high doses of advil when symptoms flare up with possible antibiotics every year. It sucks.

grassman177
01-26-2012, 11:05 PM
yup, tick check at the end of the day, or even at lunch. very thoroughly.

other than pure deet, the strong stuff, i cant offer an answer.

that sucks though, at least you are still here. my mom got lyme once, very sick. i have the benefit of being a hairy dude and i feel them crawling on me very easily

PK Mows
01-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Ugh, I hate ticks. Had over a thousand seed tick bites last summer from when I was rebuilding my deer blinds. Went through about 15 bottles of that Benedryl gel. Bites up and down both legs and on my sides, itched like no tomorrow. I got home and was getting undressed and thought the things were dirt they were so thick. Ended up using the dog's flea and tick spray to get the things off me. Horrible things.

grassman177
01-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Omg, that is intense
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanksman
01-27-2012, 07:49 AM
fleas and ticks, ugh I hate them

ralph02813
01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
I've had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Twice and infected with lyme with this last infection. It almost killed me both times. I must mow to help pay bills but wondered what everyone has used with the best results to keep the ticks away.

I bought a hair clipper last year, I have the 1/4 head on it, use it every week, drop my close in the basement when I get home, and get right into the show - check check check.
I got lime about 20 years ago.

orangemower
01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
How do you know if you have/get lime disease?

4 seasons lawn&land
01-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Geez. You guys in TN have some bad ticks. I just pull them out and get checked for lyme once in a while. You can have it but not know it.

orangemower
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Geez. You guys in TN have some bad ticks. I just pull them out and get checked for lyme once in a while. You can have it but not know it.

How do you know if you have it then? Do you have to get a blood test each month? That's a little over the top if ya ask me. Also, if you already have lime, can you get bit by another tick and get it again?

4 seasons lawn&land
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
once in a while to me is once a year. I would dare to say no one on lawn site is qualified to answer your questions. Ask the doc.

orangemower
01-27-2012, 11:30 AM
once in a while to me is once a year. I would dare to say no one on lawn site is qualified to answer your questions. Ask the doc.

I understand the guys on here are not doctors. I'm asking these questions to the guys that HAVE it or know of someone that has it and knows what those answer are. Guys with first hand experience with the disease. I could always google it. :rolleyes:

I was told by a few people that you can have it and it not affect you right away. They said it could take months or more before it shows it's face.

I was tested back in August and the doctor said it was neg. The way I've been feeling for the last few months makes me think they missed it or something. I'd like to know the first hand experiences from the guys on here that HAVE it and what they are feeling like from it and what they have to deal with on a daily basis from the disease.

orangemower
01-27-2012, 11:39 AM
One thing I do is keep my hair cut super short. I use the lowest setting on my trimmer and shave it down to stubs. This makes it much easier to feel if you have one on your head. I also will check myself over good right after I was in tall grass or weeds/brush so they can't get far. Every time I found a tick was from it crawling and I could feel it.

When I was a kid (8-10) I woke up one Saturday morning and went out and turned on the tv. I was sitting there and happened to feel something on my head. When I touched it, it was a huge bump. Turned out to be a tick that was the size of a dime!

TJLANDS
01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Ugh, I hate ticks. Had over a thousand seed tick bites last summer from when I was rebuilding my deer blinds. Went through about 15 bottles of that Benedryl gel. Bites up and down both legs and on my sides, itched like no tomorrow. I got home and was getting undressed and thought the things were dirt they were so thick. Ended up using the dog's flea and tick spray to get the things off me. Horrible things.

that looks more like chiggers ,

ralph02813
01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
How do you know if you have/get lime disease?

Well most of the time you get some kind of rash which tends to be bulls eye shaped. I saw nothing, but I woke up one morning late June, and I couldn't stop shaking I was so cold - problems was I was soaked from sweat I went to the cllinic right away - they had seen so much of it that they gave me the antibotic right then and there, did a blood test and confirmed it the next day.

orangemower
01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the answer Ralph. You say they seen so much of it. Was it the symptoms that they saw like yours that lead them to the belief you had lime disease?

PK Mows
01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Chiggers are bad, but nope, it was seed ticks, baby ticks. They covered me and you could see them, little brown spots so thick it looked like dirt. At first I didn't think they were ticks cause I'd never had them so bad. But put one on your fingernail and the little bugger would walk around looking for something to latch onto. My Wife saw them on my side and started pulling them off with tweezers, then I found them on one ankle. Jumped out of my clothes and found I was covered with the things. got in a hot shower and tried washing them off, that didn't work. Filled the tub with hot water and tried scrubbing them off, that didn't work. Had the Wife get the flea and tick spray for the dog and she started spraying while I used a scrub brush, that got them off. Itched for weeks and weeks, I was taking 2-4 baths a day using some oatmeal powder stuff. Miserable time. Doctor gave me steroids and that helped, but the itching was unforgettable.

The plus side is that seed ticks don't typically carry any disease. Ticks pick up diseases from other animals, then pass them on that way. Usually if you find a seed tick on you, you're the first thing its bit. Also you tend to find more than one on you at a time since a whole mess of 'em would have hatched in that spot. So, itching was the only real problem. That and an un-suppressible urge to kill every tick within 100 miles. I get the things on me every year when I'm out in the woods on my place, this year was just the absolute worst they've ever been.

fireman1000
01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
A "classic symtom" is the bullseye rash. I had that and extreme fatigue and aching but didn't get it treated in time and became chronic and then neurologic. If you get a bite and even suspect it, get 2-3 weeks of doxycycline immediately and you should be fine but waiting or doubting is a huge risk!

cindyb
04-05-2012, 10:12 AM
A "classic symtom" is the bullseye rash. I had that and extreme fatigue and aching but didn't get it treated in time and became chronic and then neurologic. If you get a bite and even suspect it, get 2-3 weeks of doxycycline immediately and you should be fine but waiting or doubting is a huge risk!

And joint pain.

Heading to Tractor Supply at lunch to get Permethrin 10%. For livestock but similiar to what Forestry employees use. I'll dilute down to 0.5% for spraying clothes NOT skin. Supposed to stay in the fabric for several washings. Will also mix some up for the area around the cabin.

Ticks are bad this year because we didn't have a bad winter. I've already picked up 6 at the farm, they attach immediately. Call the dr. She said, watch for the rash or any joint pain.

fireman1000
04-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Amen to that!!

Patriot Services
04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I get all the guys Hartz flea and tick collars.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I just check myself good before I shower and go to bed. I haven't had a tick on me in two years.

samkim1896
04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I spray WD40 all over my boots and bottom of jeans. I'm in north Georgia mountains. I have been using WD40 for seven years and so far so good.

Promise-Land
04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
I know someone who has a cigarette in the morning to get nicotine in his blood system before working out in the woods and fields. I suppose smoking a cigar might do the same thing. Ticks will not bite with nicotine in your blood.

cindyb
04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I get all the guys Hartz flea and tick collars.
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me know how that works this year, its not working for the pets. Friend just pulled off 14 ticks off his dog after going to our farm, friend only had 10.

Never heard the nicotine theory. Picturing the little tick sniffing, coughing and falling off.

Extremely mild winter, ticks, skeeters and other bugs are going to be horrible. The one I scraped off my leg, was the size of a period. Grabbed the jewelers loop and yep, it was a tick.

Now I'm itching.

cindyb
04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
I just check myself good before I shower and go to bed. I haven't had a tick on me in two years.

Sad part is, I'm getting older and the ticks are getting smaller. I thought the one was a chigger.

If you all treat areas for ticks, what do you use? I got the Permethrin for treating clothes and around the cabin but when we cut trails, is there a pellet or granular we can distribute?

bjack312
04-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I do alot of hunting, and the best thing that I have found is to treat your clothing with Permethrin. In addition, spray DEET on arms and legs.

macgyver_GA
04-06-2012, 10:17 AM
The Hartz products are worthless for animals, don't waste your money. I know because my ex is a vet-tech. Get a prevent-tick collar from your vet for the animals. I use them on my Golden Retriever and they work.

As for human bites, I just inspect myself regularly. Having 3 dogs in the house, they periodically bring them in this time of year on their fur. Last year I woke up one morning because I felt something and found one had latched between two of my toes. A couple days later I started getting the bullseye rash so I went to the doc and he gave me a 15 day prescription for Doxycycline. It was actually a free prescription from my local publix pharmacy.

metro36
04-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Last year I stopped wearing shorts and now wear pants all year round. That really cut down on the ticks. I only found 3-4 crawling on me and 1 in me last year. I tested negative at the end of the season. Besides the long pants, I wear long socks and spray my boots/ pants with deet.

I have had lymes 4-5 times and I had some other tick borne illness that I forget the name of. They both suck. I have had high fevers, flu like symptoms, joint pain, and one time I had bullseyes all over my body. The other thing that I got gave me a low grade fever and messed up my stomach for a week. Then I got lymes from the same bite.

Liberty mower
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Ok, you are all going to think I'm nuts, but I'm going to tell you the secret. Avon skin so soft. I would get eaten alive every year, then my wife talked me in to using the skin so soft. Put it on your boots, put a little on your legs and arms, no bug will come near you. It really works! We use it on the dogs and cats even. We had sweet ants in the house, tried everything to get rid of them nothing worked. A little skin so soft, gone in an hour. Look it up 1000 and 1 uses for skin so soft. Thing stuff is amazing, I would have never believed it til I tried it.

Good luck
Bill

cindyb
04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
I do alot of hunting, and the best thing that I have found is to treat your clothing with Permethrin. In addition, spray DEET on arms and legs.

Coated the hubby in 25% Deet before he walked the farm, only found one. I sprayed it with the Deet spray, thought it would curl up and die. Nope.

I have the Permethrin, will dilute it to .5 to match what Forestry uses. (Forestry's stuff is on back order) I know it'll last on clothes for 6 washing, will be coating the boots too. Not supposed to get on your skin.

Walked in the barn and one dropped from the ceiling. I know they detect heat but boy if they are that accurate, I'm scared.

Mac, you are right, the vet sells a new collar thats about $50, she said its as effective as the neck drops for pets.

Bill, let me know how the Avon works this year, its going to be bad.

One of ours farmers picked up a bale of hay and threw it on his shoulders, full of seed ticks.

Fizzgiz
05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
A few things to note about ticks. I used to believe it was only deer ticks that can transmit Lyme disease to humans, but have now been educated to know that there are three confirmed, and a few more listed as unsure. And as mentioned here by others there are other lovely diseases to catch as well. A Google search of Lyme disease will give you good info on these ticks and the diseases they carry, and we should all be updated on them in this business. I know someone who gets ticks on occasion when they work and when found, their wife puts them in a small zip lock bag and labels it with the date. This way if he has any sickness, they can better inform the doctor. Last fall he had a tick on his arm that woke him up in the night. He absentmindedly scratched it off him and went back to sleep. The next day he had a rash that resembled the bulls eye, but was a little hard to make out because he had so much swelling and redness. His wife took a picture if it with her cell phone and they made an appointment to see the doctor. The appointment was a few days away and when they got there the rash was almost gone and there was no bulls eye. The doctor was about to send him away with no treatment as he felt there was no Lyme, just a reaction to a bite of some kind. (They had never found the tick.) She then showed him the picture she took and he said definitely Lyme, and a severe reaction at that!! So, he prescribed the antibiotic and the husband did not get sick. I will always take a snapshot now of any bites just in case. :-)