PDA

View Full Version : 2012 super z engine options

pvbooner
01-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Has anyone heard what engines hustler is going to offer for the 2012 Super z. Was just wondering because I am still trying to settle on a new mower and will need to be deciding pretty soon. I pretty much have it narrowed down to a Z or a Scag after 12 years of running choppers.

Ridin' Green
01-27-2012, 12:24 AM
31 or 37 Kawi's are your only choice this year-
http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/super-z.html

weeze
01-27-2012, 12:36 AM
yikes. i would suggest going with the 31hp kawi on a 60" if you get a super z. the 37hp is gonna drink the gas pretty bad. personally i would choose the scag cheetah 61" with 31hp kawi engine. good luck with your choice!

pvbooner
01-27-2012, 12:48 AM
I have to have 72" for the amount of open area mowing that I do. I don't know if the web site has been changed you to reflect this years models yet and was hoping that somone on here may have had some more up to date info.

weeze
01-27-2012, 01:18 AM
ok perhaps the 34hp 72" scag cheetah then? it will do better on gas than the 37hp engine. IMO anything over 35hp you might as well buy a diesel engine and get better fuel economy.

Ridin' Green
01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I have to have 72" for the amount of open area mowing that I do. I don't know if the web site has been changed you to reflect this years models yet and was hoping that somone on here may have had some more up to date info.

That link was for 2012 models. There's another member here (Mickhippy) that just bought a 2012 SZ with the 37, because the only choices were 31, or 37 HP. He has only had it a week or so, so he probably doesn't have very many hours on it yet, especially since he said the other day it has been raining down there in AUS where he is.

I know a 37 will drink fuel, but the new SZ with their 20 cc pumps, will take a lot more HP to run them efficiently, and is why he went with the 37 over the 31, especially for the hills he mows.

torotorotoro
01-27-2012, 12:28 PM
i know the manuel says the 31 and 37 have the same ground speed but i have found that my 34 kal is way faster then my 29 kal. both on new g3 toros. has any one else found this. if i could get more ground speed i would put up with the worse gas.

Mickhippy
01-27-2012, 05:28 PM
That link was for 2012 models. There's another member here (Mickhippy) that just bought a 2012 SZ with the 37, because the only choices were 31, or 37 HP. He has only had it a week or so, so he probably doesn't have very many hours on it yet, especially since he said the other day it has been raining down there in AUS where he is.

I know a 37 will drink fuel, but the new SZ with their 20 cc pumps, will take a lot more HP to run them efficiently, and is why he went with the 37 over the 31, especially for the hills he mows.

Havent picked it up yet. Had 2 major rain events with flooding, road closures etc. Im hoping Monday but its way to wet to mow anything anyway.

Ridin' Green
01-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Havent picked it up yet. Had 2 major rain events with flooding, road closures etc. Im hoping Monday but its way to wet to mow anything anyway.

My bad I guess. I thought last week that you had said that you had picked it up the day that you posted and I asked for a few vids.

Mickhippy
01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
My bad I guess. I thought last week that you had said that you had picked it up the day that you posted and I asked for a few vids.

It was supposed to turn up at the dealers that day but didnt, the next day it pizzed down with rain closing a lot of roads so no delivery. Thursday was a public holiday and more flooding Friday.
The weather here has been insane. Had at least 500mm of rain at my place this week. Neighbours house across the road almost flooded, several other friends had water through there homes, a tree came down out the front of my house only 20m away from where I was standing (I saw it fall) blocking the road, schools closed, many, many car accidents etc. Its been chaos. I really cant blame anyone for the machine not turning up.

Its now looking like Monday for pick up. Im expecting showers pretty much all next week as well so wont be any mowing happening.

A few pics from Wednesday....
http://photobucket.com/mowing

Ridin' Green
01-27-2012, 06:32 PM
It was supposed to turn up at the dealers that day but didnt, the next day it pizzed down with rain closing a lot of roads so no delivery. Thursday was a public holiday and more flooding Friday.
The weather here has been insane. Had at least 500mm of rain at my place this week. Neighbours house across the road almost flooded, several other friends had water through there homes, a tree came down out the front of my house only 20m away from where I was standing (I saw it fall) blocking the road, schools closed, many, many car accidents etc. Its been chaos. I really cant blame anyone for the machine not turning up.

Its now looking like Monday for pick up. Im expecting showers pretty much all next week as well so wont be any mowing happening.

A few pics from Wednesday....
http://photobucket.com/mowing

I hope you ordered that sumbeach with some Gumbo Monster Mudders LOL

Mickhippy
01-27-2012, 06:34 PM
I hope you ordered that sumbeach with some Gumbo Monster Mudders LOL

I'll be putting AT101's on her!

Ridin' Green
01-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Just make sure you have all the rquired life vests/flotation devices on board before you leave for your first cut! (and maybe a paddle)

Mickhippy
01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
The first cuts wont be fun thats for sure!

mtmower
01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm having trouble demoing mowers out here. Called Hustler direct and found a contact. They may be changing some distributorships out here and they are going out of their way to try and get a demo to me this spring. I touched on lack of motor options with the rep and what I was told was, the Kaw DFI didn't show enough benefit to include in the line up. They were trying to get the Kohler line in including the EFI but Kohler would not sign off because of concerns with engine cooling, due to hydro cooler and fan being mounted above the engine. He seemed to feel it was more politics than science since the fan pulls air up and out from the engine and cooler area, not blowing hot air down on the engine. If anything, I would think it should help with cooling unless they think the air drawn by the hydro fan somehow overpowers the engine flywheel fan drawing air into the top of the engine, which I couldn't believe. I don't know how official this info is. I tried posting it to a thread in the Hustler section and they must have blocked it. Never made it on.

On another note when asked which engine he thought would be the best suited for the 60" SZ, without hesitation he said the 37. But of course I don't know anyone who hates more horse power and he's not paying for the fuel.
My early SZ with the standard deck had the 24 Honda and my 66" XR7 deck has the Kohler EFI 27 I believe. They both do ok but are not by any means overpowered. In extreme conditions I can suck them down pretty far. The Kohler you don't do anything under half throttle. The Honda has torque enough to road at idle if you wanted.

I've herd some theory on larger engines aren't worked as hard so last longer and don't use as much fuel as a smaller engine which is taxed harder. Don't know if this would be the case in this instance.

Michippy, As soon as you start throwing clippings please let me know what you think of the deck. It's gonna be the make or brake if I go with another brand or not (ie. Scagg, Exmark, JD, BB). The XR7 deck cost me too much time.

Mickhippy
01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Will take photos and vid, and time fuel on my largest property. It will be tough going due to all the rain we've had but a great test. It will be working pretty much as hard as it ever will.

lawn care St. Cloud, MN
01-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Make sure you go with a kawasaki instead of a kohler engine. They run so much smoother and are just more fine tuned than the kohler engines.

I agree not to go with the 37 HP engine considering it will suck a lot of gas.

LawnXperts (http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com) lawn care St. Cloud, MN

Ridin' Green
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Make sure you go with a kawasaki instead of a kohler engine. They run so much smoother and are just more fine tuned than the kohler engines.

I agree not to go with the 37 HP engine considering it will suck a lot of gas.

LawnXperts (http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com) lawn care St. Cloud, MN

I'm a Kawi fan, but there are as many, or more here that hate them tha there is that love them.

You need to go back and read all the posts in this thread. He needs the power for the hills he cuts (which are pretty big a lot of the time), and the fact that the new SZ has 20cc pumps.

weeze
01-29-2012, 01:43 AM
maybe more hp is needed for those industrial pumps on the super z? not sure. would be nice if they had a 34-35hp option on the 72". i went to the scag dealer the other day and they had a 34hp kohler on a 61" cheetah. last year on a 61" they only had 31hp kawi and 32hp vanguard.