PDA

View Full Version : Which would you buy??

DBFlawn
01-27-2012, 12:56 AM
hey guys im looking for a new truck and im stuck between 2 trucks and i cant decide which one would be the better choice. it will be used to commute daily about 70 miles mixed highway and city. i plan to keep the truck a long time. it will be used for plowing, occasional towing a bobcat and other misc. stuff on a fairly day to day basis.

truck one:
2006 F350 crew cab long bed lariat extremely clean with 66k miles all stock other than a leveling kit and tires
pros-
clean
66k miles
all options
long bed
southern truck

cons-
long bed
and its a salvage title because of a theft recovery
its 180 miles away
goose neck ball in bed but truck only has 1800 hours
350=worse mpg right?
no plow/salter

asking 18,500. probably get a 1000-1500 off. i like the fact that its a southern truck with low miles, and dont mind the travel but its just another expense. the long bed might be a downfall plowing and driving regularly but i think i could adapt. but as i also said before it will be driven daily and i dont know how much the mileage will affect it being its a 350

truck 2-
2007 f250 outlaw crew cab short bed 105k miles

pros-
newer
local
8.5 western plow and salter
250= better mpg?
short bed

cons-
higher miles and newer
exposed to salt and was a previous plow truck
edge programmer

asking 20k firm. i like this truck. but there are a few things that concern me. one it was a previous plow truck and all that wear and tear has been done to it. on the other side i get the plow and salter with it. would you guys be concerned about this? also the truck has been programmed since the 100k mark with an edge programmer and i believe the one it has does NOT program the transmission. also has a water methanol injection kit that i dont know much about or what it does. on the bright side its a 250 for better mpg and a short bed for plowing.

that being said if it was your guys money which one of the 2 would you most likely choose.

P.S. i don't need the 350, the 250 will do just fine for me.

sorry about the long post everyone, this just has me stumped and i cant decide

thanks again

ParkWelding
01-27-2012, 08:51 AM
#1 & put a long plow on it

Marek
01-27-2012, 09:18 AM
the 07 , stay away from the salvage title trucks ! it will have a much lower resale. Call ford and see if you can buy an extended warranty on either truck

Landrus2
01-27-2012, 09:21 AM
What size tires those #1 has
Look closely at front wheel bearings big tires torn them apart and not a cheap fix
4x4 right

DBFlawn
01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
#1 & put a long plow on it

How big of a plow do you think this truck would need?
Posted via Mobile Device

DBFlawn
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
the 07 , stay away from the salvage title trucks ! it will have a much lower resale. Call ford and see if you can buy an extended warranty on either truck

You wouldn't be worried about it being programmed and a previous plow truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

DBFlawn
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Look closely at front wheel bearings big tires torn them apart and not a cheap fix
4x4 right

I beleieve the tire size is somewhere around a 305-70-17 not am not completely sure. there not giant tires but they are a bit bigger than stock.

and yes both truck are 4 wheel drive and 6.0 diesel's.

DBFlawn
01-27-2012, 12:57 PM

it is possible to still buy extended warrantys on truck that the original warranty has expired? i'm not sure if that was a stupid question or not but i thought maybe there might be a grace period where they might let you slide.

thanks for the help so far, keep the replys coming, its apprecited

ParkWelding
01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
If I lived in a state where it was easy to title a salvage-titled truck, I would absolutely look at truck #1. As a matter of fact I would run away from the former plow and salter truck, programmed and meth injected truck, 105kmi 6.0 truck #2, as fast as my fat a$$ would go.

As far as plow length, if you are doing anything other than plowing in a dead straight line-minimum 8.5. Preferably 9. If it was a dually, even longer.

ParkWelding
01-27-2012, 07:01 PM
4x4 right

Front hub assemblies are pretty reasonable. Fairly easy to install. If you can do brakes yourself, you can do a 4x4 ford front hub.

unkownfl
01-27-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't get what you're talking about f250 vs f350 fuel mileage? They have the same engine... I would get the f350 over the f250 BTW. Longbed and payload advanage on the f350 is way better for my situation as a landscaper. I can have a toolbox and still have a normal size bed. Also you have an 8ft bed to slide things under the toolbox. Both usually have 3.73 gears and weigh pretty much the same.

DBFlawn
01-28-2012, 04:41 AM
I don't get what you're talking about f250 vs f350 fuel mileage? They have the same engine... I would get the f350 over the f250 BTW. Longbed and payload advanage on the f350 is way better for my situation as a landscaper. I can have a toolbox and still have a normal size bed. Also you have an 8ft bed to slide things under the toolbox. Both usually have 3.73 gears and weigh pretty much the same.

I see what your saying, I was under the assumption that the 250 and 350 had different gearing resulting in a mpg difference
Posted via Mobile Device

DBFlawn
01-28-2012, 04:44 AM
If I lived in a state where it was easy to title a salvage-titled truck, I would absolutely look at truck #1. As a matter of fact I would run away from the former plow and salter truck, programmed and meth injected truck, 105kmi 6.0 truck #2, as fast as my fat a$$ would go.

As far as plow length, if you are doing anything other than plowing in a dead straight line-minimum 8.5. Preferably 9. If it was a dually, even longer.

What do I do to find out if I can title the salvage truck in my state?
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
01-28-2012, 04:21 PM
What do I do to find out if I can title the salvage truck in my state?
Posted via Mobile Device

You should be able to as long as it's a rebuilt title and not a COD title. If its tagged now it should be able to be tag where ever.

DVF Lawn Care
01-28-2012, 07:42 PM
It's really tough to keep rust of cars where we live haha. Plus if your going to use it as a plow truck anyways it would rust eventually. I wouldn't expect much better gas mileage with the 250, maybe +1 mpg. If your main use for it is plowing the short bed is of course better and it's all ready to plow. I would say the 250