PDA

View Full Version : John Deere blades?

lawn care St. Cloud, MN
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I have a John Deere 757 and Z920 and have used John Deere blades for both of them in the past. I tried to get some through oregon but they still seem as if they are too much metal which takes too much power to run the blades. I recently put 60" blades that were made for everride and had to drill out the center hole a little bit more but it seems like it is well worth it because I have a better cut with the blades because we think it is due to the lighter blade.

What are you guys thoughts on Deere blades vs others.

LawnXperts lawn care St. Cloud, MN

http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com

mowerbrad
01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I have been running the John Deere high lift blades for the past 2 years. This winter my dealer suggested I switch to the lower lift John Deere blades, which are actually their mulching blades, I guess. They are lighter weight and lower lift which will help to reduce the amount of power it takes to run the mowing deck. The lower lift/mulching blades are also supposed to help cut up the clippings better when bagging.

I haven't tried them yet as this coming season will be my first season trying the lower lift blades and not the high lifts.

Ridin' Green
01-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Unless Deere has just come out with a new style of mulching blade for their ZTR's, their mulching blades are just like all their other mulching blades and have the double wave to them. They do a fine job at both mulching with a full mulch kit, and side discharging, but they don't cut anywhere near as well as their high lift blades, especially at medium to higher speeds. My Deere ZTR came stock with std lift blades, but I switched to high lifts shortly after buying it, and what a difference in cut quality! I will never use the std lift blades again (which is what I think that the dealer was trying to sell mowerbrad). The std lifts don't "mulch" even as well as the high lifts do, and definitely not as well as their true mulching blades (though they do cut better at speed).

A short while after I got the OEM high Lifts, I tried the Oregon G6's and have never changed to anything else, nor will I. They are head and shoulders better than anything out for QOC while mulching at the same time (but only for side discharging, not with a kit).

The pulley sizes on the Deere ZTR's are optimized for the size/thickness/weight of blade that comes on them, and will run the heavy blades as well as many other machines will a thinner/lighter blade due to the size of the pulley's that come on other brands.

If you are set on running a lighter blade, maybe you should check with Oregon and see if they will be making the new G5's in the correct size for your Deere. They have all the same features as the G6's, but are thinner and lighter.

mowerbrad
01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Unless Deere has just come out with a new style of mulching blade for their ZTR's, their mulching blades are just like all their other mulching blades and have the double wave to them. They do a fine job at both mulching with a full mulch kit, and side discharging, but they don't cut anywhere near as well as their high lift blades, especially at medium to higher speeds. My Deere ZTR came stock with std lift blades, but I switched to high lifts shortly after buying it, and what a difference in cut quality! I will never use the std lift blades again (which is what I think that the dealer was trying to sell mowerbrad). The std lifts don't "mulch" even as well as the high lifts do, and definitely not as well as their true mulching blades (though they do cut better at speed).

A short while after I got the OEM high Lifts, I tried the Oregon G6's and have never changed to anything else, nor will I. They are head and shoulders better than anything out for QOC while mulching at the same time (but only for side discharging, not with a kit).

The pulley sizes on the Deere ZTR's are optimized for the size/thickness/weight of blade that comes on them, and will run the heavy blades as well as many other machines will a thinner/lighter blade due to the size of the pulley's that come on other brands.

If you are set on running a lighter blade, maybe you should check with Oregon and see if they will be making the new G5's in the correct size for your Deere. They have all the same features as the G6's, but are thinner and lighter.

They have convinced me to switch to a mulching blade (had to look it up to remember which one exactly). Because where my town sits (right on lake michigan) we have extremely sandy soil and after the dealer went over the mower, they noticed things being worn down far too quickly due to the high lift blades and my sandy soil conditions. They have seen it before and switched people over to a mulching blade set-up and noticed less wearing of the deck and powerflow while sacrificing minimal cut quality.

Ridin' Green
01-27-2012, 01:48 PM
They have convinced me to switch to a mulching blade (had to look it up to remember which one exactly). Because where my town sits (right on lake michigan) we have extremely sandy soil and after the dealer went over the mower, they noticed things being worn down far too quickly due to the high lift blades and my sandy soil conditions. They have seen it before and switched people over to a mulching blade set-up and noticed less wearing of the deck and powerflow while sacrificing minimal cut quality.

I can understand switching to a lower lift blade where you are. That is some sandy soil on the coast there. If the blades that they want you to switch to are the std wavy mulchers, I am betting that you will have to slow down a bit, but as long as you keep them nice and sharp they should do alright for you. I have the wavy mulchers on my CUT, and use them with, and without the mulch kit on it, and they do pretty well at the speeds at which I mow with it.