PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brake controller selection

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Can anyone recommend a solid, lower cost brake controller? I need to pick one up to use with my new 7x14' tandem enclosed. Don't need anything fancy just needs to function properly and without tons of tweaking. Would like to spend under $100 if at all possible.

Recommend proportional or time delayed?

Thanks!

DA

Lefet
01-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Subscribing to this one too. DA you must be reading my mind or our situations are paralleling. Another question would be what are the differences in them? I've seen people saying they like to "adjust" them. What type of adjustments and what should you make sure you have on them?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Lefet my guess is that 'adjusting' refers to the time delayed type which applies a set braking amount as opposed to proportional which senses the braking your truck does and brakes the trailer accordingly. We'll see.....

djagusch
01-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Here is a link to a brand I liked and used.

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=1400&catID=1435 &part=0

The voyager model I had in a Super Duty, worked great, and was smooth. I sold the truck and left the controller in it.

I now have alittle nicer model I was told but does not work as good as the voyager model I had. My current one is more jerky in light pedal slow moving speeds.

How the controller accounts for momentum and speed of the vehicle is what makes them work well or not. The pedulium that measures the forces is how I was told the good ones work.

Also most auto parts stores sell the voyager model just might be rebadged. They do have plug in wiring kits for most vehicles at the auto parts store so install is easy.

Does your Dakato have 7 prong or 4 prong for the trailer hook up? If it's 4 prong did Dodge run the other 3 wires or do you have too? Might want to look for plug in wiring harnesses for that also.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Tried to click your link but does not work.....

Which Tekonsha model is it? I have been searching on here and looks like the P3 is favored BUT that one is top of the line and I am not sure I need all that.

(and yep my truck has 7 prong - tow pkg on vehicle so ready to plug n play)

Lefet
01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
I would think that a set amount of pressure, equally applied at the time of braking the truck would be sufficient. Or at least that would be what I think I would want. This is probably one thing I wouldn't or shouldn't have control over! :hammerhead: Leave it to me, I'd either be dragging the trailer because I've applied TOO much, or everything would end up in the back seat with me, for not enough. Are they measured in ratio or percentage or whatever when you buy them? Should you be looking for a certain amount of breakage or weight even? And if you have a 3 prong, then you probably don't have the correct wiring pre-installed for a break controller?
I'm sure we have a 7 pin..... I think..... yeah, pretty sure. I also would have it installed. As I'm sure I could figure it out, and it's probably not that hard, there are some things, I just prefer to leave to the professionals. I call it my "go back theory". If something goes wrong, I need to be able to go back to somebody, and I wouldn't want it to be me.

Lefet
01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Didn't work for me either.

djagusch
01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
It's the Voyager model by Tekonsha. Model 9030.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-27-2012, 04:01 PM
OK I'll check that one out.

mowerbrad
01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.adventurerv.net/tekonsha-electric-brake-control-controller-camper-p-1911.html

When I was searching for a brake controller for my last truck, I read all the reviews and purchased a P3 from Tekonsha. I purchased it from the link above and found that they had great prices. Unfortunately, I ended up buying a new truck before I had time to install the P3 and my new truck as an integrated brake controller already in it, so the P3 wasn't needed anymore.

I am not a particular fan of the standard/low end brake controllers. I feel like there is never a good setting with those. The ones that I used either braked too hard or not enough and it just didn't feel right to me.

With the P3, you will at least get the similar operation as that of an integrated controller. Like I said, I purchased my P3 from the link I posted above, I would buy from them again too. They seemed to have the best prices on the internet.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Thank Brad I will look at that one as well. Price seems as good as any for that particular controller. I have the tow pkg for my truck and a harness came with the truck. So looks like what I have to do is splice in my harness to the controller harness and hook up the connectors, and ready to go, right?

GravelyGuy
01-27-2012, 06:44 PM
The factory integrated controllers that come on the newer trucks are the best, but I used a Prodigy P3 for a couple years and it worked pretty well on my Tundra.

The P3 has a boost feature on it that I liked. It would apply more juice to the brakes right when you hit them and then back it down. Nice feature when the light turns yellow on you and the person in front of you decides to come to a screaching halt lol.

The best price I found when I got it was on Ebay, you can get a vehicle specific harness that requires no splicing for and extra $15 or so if I remember correctly.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Bump it up for a few more opinions.

knox gsl
01-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Bump it up for a few more opinions.

I've got a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 it does great, running a tandem axle trailer with 4 electric brake drums.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Anyone run the Hopkins Agility controller?

ParkWelding
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Thumbs up for Tekonsha Prodigy. Have had them in probably 6 trucks over the years.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Tempted with the Prodigy models guys, thanks.
But not willing to pay $115+ for a brake controller.

I had read some decent reviews of the Hopkins Agility Proportional controller, maybe a 1/2 step down from the Prodigy's, but not bad. Got it new for $60 no tax on Amazon so went for it.

metro36
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
A brake controller is not an area where I would want to cheap out. A good controller like the Prodigy P2 or P3 will pay you back in the long run. They save your truck and trailer brakes by applying the right amount of brake pressure. Plus the boost feature helps you slow down faster.

I had a P2 and was really happy with it. I even bought the P-3 to upgrade but I bought a new truck with an intergrated controller before installing it. $115 is a really good price for the P3.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-01-2012, 01:09 AM
This controller is great http://www.adventurerv.net/tekonsha-electric-brake-control-controller-camper-p-1911.html and this is a bad azz price as well. I pull tandem 3500's, triple 7K's, and tandem 10K's.

LCPullman
02-03-2012, 01:30 AM
I'd strongly recommend the Tekonsha P2 http://www.adventurerv.net/tekonsha-electronic-prodigy-brake-control-p-22388.html
I have run numerous trailers with it and am very pleased with its performance - a little cheaper than the P3 and still has nice features.

luis@NJ
02-03-2012, 03:25 AM
I have a solid state one and its cool cause you can mound it upside down or what ever. I have this model and it works fine.
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hopkins/HM47294.html

myblacktruck
02-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Hello to all new guy around here. Getting back into this after years away from it. I had the Tekonsha Primus IQ on my 2005 chevy with a 18 foot tandem trailer and it worked good for me. The new truck came factory with trailer brakes built right in

jetta
02-06-2012, 09:05 AM
i have a prodigy 90185 new (used one mo then bought new truck w/one in dash) will sell for 65$ all hdwe ,mount hdwe ,wiring brackets ,box, manuals ect