PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Grass Seed Question!

elshauno
01-28-2012, 01:50 PM
My brother just bought a new house in Leesville. He was asking me what kind of grass seed to plant down there. As it is a different zone, I am clueless as to what to tell him to plant. He has two dogs so he will need something that is somewhat hardy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FoghornLeghorn
01-28-2012, 06:12 PM
St. Augustine grows really well down there. Leesville is in an area with red clay soil, so it may need to be amended. The good thing about the soil is that it's sandy and drains very well.

Leesville has sufficient rain so your irrigation needs are minimized. There are probably a bunch of pine trees on his soil, so he may have to add something to neutralize the acid.

That's about all I know about the area.

Patriot Services
01-28-2012, 06:39 PM
St. Augustine grows really well down there. Leesville is in an area with red clay soil, so it may need to be amended. The good thing about the soil is that it's sandy and drains very well.

Leesville has sufficient rain so your irrigation needs are minimized. There are probably a bunch of pine trees on his soil, so he may have to add something to neutralize the acid.

That's about all I know about the area.

Two problems. SA can't be grown from seed and its not very dog hardy. Common Bermuda is cheap and lets you repair bad spots quickly.:usflag:

agrostis
01-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Bermuda is the way to go in south Louisiana. Especially with dog's. No grass is dog-proof, but bermuda is your best bet. You can seed common, or go with some of the newer varieties's. Be aware that growing bermuda from seed is a slow process and you can't start it until early spring.

http://www.google.com/search?q=seeded+bermudagrass&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GPCK_enUS320

FoghornLeghorn
01-29-2012, 12:58 AM
I completely missed the part about being dog hardy!

In that case, bermuda grass and if possible, use some PRIMO or another PGR to get the turf to grow denser, making it even more dog resistant.

elshauno
01-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Thank you for your input gentlemen! I will spread the good word.

Century Landscape
01-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Tell him bermuda all the way. Should do fantastic in our area, can be started from seed, and is about as hardy as it gets.

. . . . So long as he doesn't have too much shade under all those trees! :)

Hope he enjoys South Louisiana, he'll probably be putting on some weight soon!

agrostis
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
. . . . So long as he doesn't have too much shade under all those trees! :)

This is very true. Bermuda need's full sun.