PDA

View Full Version : BI - Weekly edging???

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 02:14 PM
bi-weekly curbside edging?

thats a 1nce a year service around here maximum

but i would say doing it once a month might be worth doing. that is something to consider.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
bi-weekly curbside edging?

thats a 1nce a year service around here maximum

but i would say doing it once a month might be worth doing. that is something to consider.

You edge your lawns once a year?

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 02:21 PM
You edge your lawns once a year?

I only edge them when a customer requests the service. but having itt done every so often. once a month or so would keep it looking good i think. part of a premium package. a guy who hasent joined the thread yet does it every 2 weeks. i think that might not be needed. but once a month might keep the lawn looking sharper.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Edging a lawn should be part of your maintenance in my opinion, and at least every other week is standard here...

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Edging a lawn should be part of your maintenance in my opinion, and at least every other week is standard here...

your not talking about trimming are you? string trimmer?

jequigle
01-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I edge weekly on all of my accounts.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I can edge my lawns with a string trimmer yes, the only time I use a blade edger is a new customer who has never edged and such

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 02:31 PM
I usualy call it trimming. using the string trimmer on all of the edges. pavement, landscapes. i do it on every mow other than real super slow hot parts of the season sometimes.

i mean using a blade edger to make that nice 1/4 ish gap between the cement and turf

orangemower
01-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I think I understand what you're saying. I only use the edger once a month to keep the edge on the sidewalk opened up. I use the string trimmer any other time.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I think I understand what you're saying. I only use the edger once a month to keep the edge on the sidewalk opened up. I use the string trimmer any other time.

do you do it at your regular price?

Lefet
01-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Weekly here, part of the regular service of a cut. Monthly??? Not even a cosideration of an option.

jsslawncare
01-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Weekly here, part of the regular service of a cut. Monthly??? Not even a cosideration of an option.

Me too. I never thought of it any other way until last spring. On some yards I edge every other visit for weekly accounts. I trim every account every visit. And, yes for the same price.

FoghornLeghorn
01-28-2012, 04:16 PM
We edge all our properties every visit. By doing it this way, it gives us that crisp, well cared for appearance and by doing it every visit, it keeps the gap b/t the sidewalk/dirt open and you can practically run with the edger since there's no dirt it needs to throw.

We can edge 600ft of sidewalk in about 2 minutes.

Just make sure you keep a fresh blade on it at all times. We change out maybe 3/4 times a day. Once the blade edge starts to get rounded and thin, it slows down dramatically.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 04:21 PM
huh.

seems like im missing a piece of the puzzle.

so what other qualitity perks am i missing?

my typical mow is obviously mowing, trimming all edges with a string trimmer and blowing off surfaces.

Lefet
01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Exactly Foghorn. Mine don't last as long as yours but their cheap, buy them by the case. and I flip them once before I change.

Patriot Services
01-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Not an option in FL. Edge every time you mow. It's what seperates a quality full service cut from the mow-n-go crowd.:usflag:

FoghornLeghorn
01-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Exactly Foghorn. Mine don't last as long as yours but their cheap, buy them by the case. and I flip them once before I change.

I'm sorry, I think I need to retype that. We change them out 3 or 4 times a day, not 3/4 times a day.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry, I think I need to retype that. We change them out 3 or 4 times a day, not 3/4 times a day.

i think im a little lost as to what yall are talkign about? what are you flipping?

Patriot Services
01-28-2012, 04:45 PM
i think im a little lost as to what yall are talkign about? what are you flipping?

Steel edger blades. We buy them 100 to box. We cant flip they just wear down:usflag:

fireman gus
01-28-2012, 04:49 PM
We use the stick edger every time we are on the property. With Bermuda grass you have to to keep it looking good. Change edger blade 2 times/week on average. Once off the edger we throw in our iron pile either to sell or use around the farm for something.

michael14
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I edge every time I mow but I use a trimmer with an edgit. It leaves a edge that looks the same as a blade edge.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 04:54 PM
We use the stick edger every time we are on the property. With Bermuda grass you have to to keep it looking good. Change edger blade 2 times/week on average. Once off the edger we throw in our iron pile either to sell or use around the farm for something.

oh. by flip you ment a new one. i got it.

im concidering this improvement. any other advice?

Lefet
01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Patriot how come you can't flip yours? I do and get a few more uses out of it. Sure wish I could figure something out for the used ones!

FoghornLeghorn
01-28-2012, 05:00 PM

This is an edger blade. It's the black piece of metal at the end of the aluminum attachment

When you use it, it gets dull. So it needs to be changed out.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 05:05 PM
This is an edger blade

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=echo+edger+blade&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1278&bih=680&tbm=isch&tbnid=h4PdBdzbR3_AIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.echo-usa.com/m/Products/Edgers/PE-230&docid=yBskfrbu5628JM&imgurl=http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/144f08dd-d799-4eba-93cc-9615aa472527/PE230-5.jpg&w=450&h=350&ei=iWwkT5_yHNDFsQKrl9GMAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=803&vpy=144&dur=135&hovh=198&hovw=255&tx=87&ty=124&sig=109865795926350998573&page=6&tbnh=152&tbnw=195&start=110&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:20,s:110

When you use it, it gets dull. So it needs to be changed out.

ya. when i read flipped i thought turn around and i was like. huh?

Lefet
01-28-2012, 05:10 PM
ya. when i read flipped i thought turn around and i was like. huh?

You may not be understanding completely. I upt on a new blade, use it for a while, then FLIP it over, use a couple more times, THEN I replace it with a new blade. It only spins in one direction so you flip it over, use the other corner, then trash it and get a new one. I've seen them as low as 0.70-0.93 cents a piece.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 05:14 PM
huh. well. iv only done a couple edgings. if i add this in then iv gotta get a stick welder.

Lefet
01-28-2012, 05:16 PM
"stick welder"?

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 05:17 PM
"stick welder"?

heh. sry. iv been welding on my all freakin winter.

ment to say stick edger.

Patriot Services
01-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Patriot how come you can't flip yours? I do and get a few more uses out of it. Sure wish I could figure something out for the used ones!

Everything is concrete here. Plus we angle inwards for a better look on SA. It just wears them right down. They are 2" shorter when they get changed out.:usflag:

Lefet
01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Gotcha....

lawn care St. Cloud, MN
01-28-2012, 06:10 PM
We agree with doing this service on a bi-weekly service. If this is a new customer who has this overgrown try and sell the service and then you need to maintain the service bi-weekly.

Doing a good job will never hurt.

LawnXperts (http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com) St. Cloud, MN

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 06:44 PM
We agree with doing this service on a bi-weekly service. If this is a new customer who has this overgrown try and sell the service and then you need to maintain the service bi-weekly.

Doing a good job will never hurt.

LawnXperts (http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com) St. Cloud, MN

so what all are you doing that im not doing?

32vld
01-28-2012, 07:46 PM
I edge every week. To skip a week you will wind up taking longer to edge because of more growth allowed to accumulate, which leaves more debris to be cleaned up.

A nice edge makes a mow look professional. So why leave the property looking less then serviced by a professional.

As to edging with a blade or line it looks the same when done. A badly neglected edge will be brought back faster with a blade but can be done with line.

Thing is an untrimmed lawn needs to be charged more to get an edge done the first time as compared to an edge maintained weekly. This is the only difference that I see.

If a customer wanted me to skip every other week to save money on edging I would tell him it would cost him more because the extra growth will require extra time which equals more labor, which equals higher cost.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 07:54 PM
I edge every week. To skip a week you will wind up taking longer to edge because of more growth allowed to accumulate, which leaves more debris to be cleaned up.

A nice edge makes a mow look professional. So why leave the property looking less then serviced by a professional.

As to edging with a blade or line it looks the same when done. A badly neglected edge will be brought back faster with a blade but can be done with line.

Thing is an untrimmed lawn needs to be charged more to get an edge done the first time as compared to an edge maintained weekly. This is the only difference that I see.

If a customer wanted me to skip every other week to save money on edging I would tell him it would cost him more because the extra growth will require extra time which equals more labor, which equals higher cost.

now, when you compare blade edging to line, are you talking about flipping the trimer on its side and digging the ground a little, or scraping the line horazontal from the pavement into the grass to cleanup the straggles of grass along the edge of the pavement?

32vld
01-28-2012, 08:10 PM
now, when you compare blade edging to line, are you talking about flipping the trimer on its side and digging the ground a little, or scraping the line horazontal from the pavement into the grass to cleanup the straggles of grass along the edge of the pavement?

Turn the trimmer on it's side.

mowerbrad
01-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Honestly, in my area edging is not as "normal" as it is made out to be on here. Most customers only want it once a month maybe. I had one customer who I mow every now and then ask me to edge their driveway for them last spring, that driveway was widened by 8" after I got done edging. It hadn't been edged in YEARS!!!

But I don't even provide weekly or bi-weekly edging, usually it's monthly or as requested. I don't even know of other companies around me that offer weekly edging.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Honestly, in my area edging is not as "normal" as it is made out to be on here. Most customers only want it once a month maybe. I had one customer who I mow every now and then ask me to edge their driveway for them last spring, that driveway was widened by 8" after I got done edging. It hadn't been edged in YEARS!!!

But I don't even provide weekly or bi-weekly edging, usually it's monthly or as requested. I don't even know of other companies around me that offer weekly edging.

its all on request. but hey. it only takes a minute once you get good. doing it once a month might be good. somethign to think about.

honeslty i dont think its too unreasonable. if they are payign 130 bucks a month just to have their grass cut, a perk or two could make it quite worth it.

what i dont like is when they want me to spend an hour deweeding flowerbeds for free because they pay for me to cut their grass

and its always the rich people that want free stuff.

USA Lawn Care
01-28-2012, 11:05 PM
i always find it interesting to see how other parts of the country operate and the different expectations of customers.

I've always used the string trimmer to edge all walks, driveways, beds, etc....every cut. I can edge as fast as I can walk and it makes the job look very professional. I have come close a few times to not edging the street side of the curb but it just looks 'not done' so I grabbed the Redmax and took care of it. I feel like I'm cheating the customer if I don't do it.

But, that's just me.

weeze
01-28-2012, 11:20 PM
yeah i've always edged every cut with a trimmer but most of my customers are bi-weekly anyways. that's pretty normal around here. a weekly account is kindof rare but i do have a few of them. i want to get a stihl stick edger one day which i can use for first time customers that never have edged. when using a trimmer to edge it's only more time consuming the very first time you do it. once the edge is established it's easy so i wanna get a stick edger to establish the edge and then use the trimmer to maintain it.

birddseedd
01-28-2012, 11:21 PM
i always find it interesting to see how other parts of the country operate and the different expectations of customers.

I've always used the string trimmer to edge all walks, driveways, beds, etc....every cut. I can edge as fast as I can walk and it makes the job look very professional. I have come close a few times to not edging the street side of the curb but it just looks 'not done' so I grabbed the Redmax and took care of it. I feel like I'm cheating the customer if I don't do it.

But, that's just me.

are you sure you arnt talkign about trimming, not eding. iv never herd of anyone edging around a flowerbed.. only aroudn pavement

Patriot Services
01-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Common practice around here to run the edger along the beds. Keeps the SA and Bermuda runners from getting in and maintains definition. Again the difference from a mow~n~go type cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass-scapes
01-29-2012, 10:15 AM
NEVER a string trimmer on the pavement edges, only blade edger. Less debris thrown and looks much better.

Yeah, there are those who SAY they can make it look as good or better with a string trimmer and I say...BULL. Ive been doing this for a long time and I can tell the ones done with a string trimmer. I can go much faster with the blade edger than the string trimmer without worrying if I turn the head wrong will I mess up the edge.

Many threads over the years on this subject.. Everyone has their opinion....Mine is the blade edger is better looking, faster, and should be done a MINIMUM of every other week. most of mine get it every week.

yardguy28
01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I usualy call it trimming. using the string trimmer on all of the edges. pavement, landscapes. i do it on every mow other than real super slow hot parts of the season sometimes.

i mean using a blade edger to make that nice 1/4 ish gap between the cement and turf

uh yeah, i use a gas powered stick edger each and every week. or if the account is a bi weekly then it gets done bi weekly.

i see your from MI and i'm from IN. not sure how similar our grass types are but i'm cutting kentucky blue grass and tall fescue.

i'm with grass scapes on how it looks between an edger and a trimmer. it doesn't look nearly as good with a trimmer. i don't care how good you say you are.

clydebusa
01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
NEVER a string trimmer on the pavement edges, only blade edger. Less debris thrown and looks much better.

Yeah, there are those who SAY they can make it look as good or better with a string trimmer and I say...BULL. Ive been doing this for a long time and I can tell the ones done with a string trimmer. I can go much faster with the blade edger than the string trimmer without worrying if I turn the head wrong will I mess up the edge.

Many threads over the years on this subject.. Everyone has their opinion....Mine is the blade edger is better looking, faster, and should be done a MINIMUM of every other week. most of mine get it every week.

As you said there has been several post on this and I am with you. Metal blade much easier less debris and faster IMO.

birddseedd
01-29-2012, 12:32 PM
i have only ever edged with a trimmer once. it worked for a one time thing. but i woudl never use it as a perminate tool

I MOW ALONE
01-29-2012, 02:23 PM
buy an edger and use it end of story. all my properties get edged weekly with a steel blade edger. i even have some customers that all they want is edged because i do there neighbors and they want theres to look as good as the neighbors. and they pay me well to do it too. i also edge the curbs which 95% of the companies around me do not do. to me edging everything but curb is only doing 80% of the job.

birddseedd
01-29-2012, 02:34 PM
buy an edger and use it end of story. all my properties get edged weekly with a steel blade edger. i even have some customers that all they want is edged because i do there neighbors and they want theres to look as good as the neighbors. and they pay me well to do it too. i also edge the curbs which 95% of the companies around me do not do. to me edging everything but curb is only doing 80% of the job.

i have one. just never known it to be a common practice. round here its always extra. i will need a stick edger to be efficient.

FoghornLeghorn
01-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Even if it's not common practice, do it anyway. It might take you an extra 3 minutes once you get good, but your properties will always look manicured. The attention to detail will set you apart from the competition.
Posted via Mobile Device

I MOW ALONE
01-29-2012, 02:53 PM
i have one. just never known it to be a common practice. round here its always extra. i will need a stick edger to be efficient.

what kind do you have? a walkbehind? what do you mean you need a stick edger to be efficient.

birddseedd
01-29-2012, 03:31 PM
what kind do you have? a walkbehind? what do you mean you need a stick edger to be efficient.

walk behind if thats what its called. on 4 wheels, engine is by the ground. like a mini 21" mower but for edging.

its not as quick to use as a stick edger.

landscaper22
01-29-2012, 03:49 PM
I hate when people use a line trimmer as edger. Also, around my area, it is common to edge with a blade every service during the growing season. Although, I did take a lashing by one year-round customer for not edging as much in the winter. I explained that the idea of edging was to keep grass from growing into beds or over the driveway. Her response was she wanted to see the edge line all the time...I was like...ummmm ok. So, she just isn't happy if there is no defined line made by the blade even when no edging is needed.

birddseedd
01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I hate when people use a line trimmer as edger. Also, around my area, it is common to edge with a blade every service during the growing season. Although, I did take a lashing by one year-round customer for not edging as much in the winter. I explained that the idea of edging was to keep grass from growing into beds or over the driveway. Her response was she wanted to see the edge line all the time...I was like...ummmm ok. So, she just isn't happy if there is no defined line made by the blade even when no edging is needed.

edging in the winter o.O

good luck doign that here. a clump of dirt was on the side walk. took a 10 lb sledge to remove it. no edging thorugh dirt nealry as strong as a rock.

clydebusa
01-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Do a search there is forum after forum of the goods and bads.

I MOW ALONE
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Do a search there is forum after forum of the goods and bads.

oh i know i just disagree with the ones that say a stick edger is way faster and more productive than a walkbehind edger. i have been using walkbehind edgers for 20 years and know that i can go just as fast as a stick anyday without having to hold any weight up. but to each there own just dont say that to be efficient you need a stick because it aint true.

landscaper22
01-29-2012, 08:35 PM
edging in the winter o.O

good luck doign that here. a clump of dirt was on the side walk. took a 10 lb sledge to remove it. no edging thorugh dirt nealry as strong as a rock.

It's not like that here. But still pointless to edge. Well, I can see every now and then if some of the winter weeds are intruding into the beds or driveway, but not too often.

USA Lawn Care
01-29-2012, 11:05 PM
are you sure you arnt talkign about trimming, not eding. iv never herd of anyone edging around a flowerbed.. only aroudn pavement

i keep an edge on every mulch bed....just turn the string trimmer so it's cutting straight up and down. This keeps the grass from growing over the bed line. Come by with the blower and the grass is gone.

As long as I've been doing this, I've honestly never seen anyone out there using an actual metal blade edger in my area. I think that will be my winter project to at least go take a look because a lot of guys swear by them obviously.

Using a string trimmer is the only way I've ever known for the 15 years I've been doing this. After that amount of time doing it, I'm pretty darn good at it.....enough for a few neighbors of current clients to ask me to just edge their walks, etc and they will continue to mow.

Anyways.....I think I will investigate a metal blade edger just for the heck of it. It just pains me to think that I will have to grab the edger for walks and driveways / curbs and then put it back and then grab the string trimmer to get around garages, trees, etc. that I just walked right by.

However....rule #1. Take advise from fellow pro's........I will try one out this year.

birddseedd
01-29-2012, 11:25 PM
i keep an edge on every mulch bed....just turn the string trimmer so it's cutting straight up and down. This keeps the grass from growing over the bed line. Come by with the blower and the grass is gone.

As long as I've been doing this, I've honestly never seen anyone out there using an actual metal blade edger in my area. I think that will be my winter project to at least go take a look because a lot of guys swear by them obviously.

Using a string trimmer is the only way I've ever known for the 15 years I've been doing this. After that amount of time doing it, I'm pretty darn good at it.....enough for a few neighbors of current clients to ask me to just edge their walks, etc and they will continue to mow.

Anyways.....I think I will investigate a metal blade edger just for the heck of it. It just pains me to think that I will have to grab the edger for walks and driveways / curbs and then put it back and then grab the string trimmer to get around garages, trees, etc. that I just walked right by.

However....rule #1. Take advise from fellow pro's........I will try one out this year.
i just advice people to let me install borders and landscaping fabric. no more weeds or grass

orangemower
01-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Personally, I would continue doing what you're doing. I hate the idea of walking past something that needs trimmed but can't do it because I have a edger in my hand.

orangemower
01-30-2012, 08:40 AM
i just advice people to let me install borders and landscaping fabric. no more weeds or grass

Landscaping fabric is a waste of money. Weeds will still come through it. Once you spread mulch on it, the mulch will only lay on top and not settle in. Mulch breaks down when in contact with soil. It can't do that if you have a barrier preventing it. The best way is to treat the flowerbeds before you mulch to keep the weeds from growing. It takes about two seasons for mulch to break down. During that time, as you're there each week mowing, if you see a weed, pop it out and keep on moving.

I've personally seen mulch that is laying on fabric, blow away in heavy wind leaving bare spots in the beds!

birddseedd
01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Landscaping fabric is a waste of money. Weeds will still come through it. Once you spread mulch on it, the mulch will only lay on top and not settle in. Mulch breaks down when in contact with soil. It can't do that if you have a barrier preventing it. The best way is to treat the flowerbeds before you mulch to keep the weeds from growing. It takes about two seasons for mulch to break down. During that time, as you're there each week mowing, if you see a weed, pop it out and keep on moving.

I've personally seen mulch that is laying on fabric, blow away in heavy wind leaving bare spots in the beds!

i disagree. last year another guy was doing beds on a property i was mowing. he started by killing off the grass, then laying down multch like you suggest.

there were weeks growing up before he even finished the project.

yes multch will brake down and things will grow. but thats 5 season down the line, not 1 week down the line.

birddseedd
01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
personally i dont llike the idea of pulling weeds. iv spent an hour on a customer pulling weeds recently. only charged $30 dollars. jsut for him to complain about being charged and pulling weeds is part of the service. my contract specifically stats that things like this are extra. in that same time i spent pulling weeds for him i could have mowed 3 lawns and made $75-$90.

had a guy once actual lie to an employee about trimming inside overgrown beds. i told him and the employee specificity that this service was not included in his weekly maintenance. the customer told him while i was on the other side of the property that he worked it out with me and i said it was ok. thankfully the employee talked to me first.

once i realized i had let him lowball me so bad i was working for free and told him i caint do it for that price he refused to pay more and still owes me a few hundred bucks.

i caint stand working for certain peoples sometimes.

landscaper22
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Landscape fabric is a good idea if you use the good stuff. Not the cheap junk. Weeds will eventually find a way (one way or the other) But between the fabric and the mulch you should keep everything in check for 2-3 seasons. Then if you use a little round up, you can keep things under control for much longer.
The only time I hand pull weeds is in an actual flower bed. Otherwise spray is the answer. But still this has little to do with edging. It is nice to edge around all beds with a blade. However, if it is a bed with a lot of straw in it (assuming you know what you are doing) you can use the trimmer around the bed and it fluffs the straw up and makes it look nice. If you use the trimmer around mulched beds, you sling mulch everywhere.

birddseedd
01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Landscape fabric is a good idea if you use the good stuff. Not the cheap junk. Weeds will eventually find a way (one way or the other) But between the fabric and the mulch you should keep everything in check for 2-3 seasons. Then if you use a little round up, you can keep things under control for much longer.
The only time I hand pull weeds is in an actual flower bed. Otherwise spray is the answer. But still this has little to do with edging. It is nice to edge around all beds with a blade. However, if it is a bed with a lot of straw in it (assuming you know what you are doing) you can use the trimmer around the bed and it fluffs the straw up and makes it look nice. If you use the trimmer around mulched beds, you sling mulch everywhere.

i dotn get the edging beds part. i jsut install edging around the bed and use a string trimmer around beds. keeps everything out from growing from turf to bed anyway.

so you acutlay put a 1 inch deep hole of dirt aroudn the bed?

landscaper22
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
i dotn get the edging beds part. i jsut install edging around the bed and use a string trimmer around beds. keeps everything out from growing from turf to bed anyway.

so you acutlay put a 1 inch deep hole of dirt aroudn the bed?

Well, that's a great idea. But, I mean if I ask my customers about installing that, most would say no. I do have customers with an edger/boarder, but most don't actually. Plus, I have some customers that basically have their entire grass area surrounded by straw beds. It just wouldn't look right with edging the way it designed and laid out. But that will keep grass out of the beds.

birddseedd
01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Well, that's a great idea. But, I mean if I ask my customers about installing that, most would say no. I do have customers with an edger/boarder, but most don't actually. Plus, I have some customers that basically have their entire grass area surrounded by straw beds. It just wouldn't look right with edging the way it designed and laid out. But that will keep grass out of the beds.

only ever used straw to help new grass grow. never seen it in a bed beyond that. i always quote the edge in making a bed. they last forever if you dont hit them with the trimmer and they make a bed look crisp and clean the same as edging around pavement. i couldent imagine a dirt border.

anyone have any up close pics of their beds?

landscaper22
01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
only ever used straw to help new grass grow. never seen it in a bed beyond that. i always quote the edge in making a bed. they last forever if you dont hit them with the trimmer and they make a bed look crisp and clean the same as edging around pavement. i couldent imagine a dirt border.

anyone have any up close pics of their beds?

By straw, I mean pine straw. Most people use it around here. Oh, I see about the beds. However, I do more maintenance than installs, so most of the yards I service are already landscaped and beds are already done. I just maintain the property. Most don't have edging around them that I service. It's a great idea though.

watsmi57
01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
the more often you do it the easier it is. every 2 weeks minimum during the season. maybe once a month in winter time.

and use a blade. i don't care how good you are with a trimmer. my blade leaves a cleaner cut

birddseedd
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
pine straw. looks neet. kinda like shreaded multch.

how do you deal with trimming the inside of a curve?

landscaper22
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
pine straw. looks neet. kinda like shreaded multch.

how do you deal with trimming the inside of a curve?

Haha! I forget sometimes each part of the country is different. Around here pine straw is as common as water. lol. It looks nice, but just doesn't look good very long. If you use long leaf straw, it seems to last longer.
By trimming the inside of a curve, you mean where the concrete curbing meets the grass? I just blade edge it.

birddseedd
01-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Haha! I forget sometimes each part of the country is different. Around here pine straw is as common as water. lol. It looks nice, but just doesn't look good very long. If you use long leaf straw, it seems to last longer.
By trimming the inside of a curve, you mean where the concrete curbing meets the grass? I just blade edge it.

curved driveway for example