PDA

View Full Version : harley rake for compacts

strickdad
11-26-2002, 02:30 AM
anybody have a harley rake on the back of a compact tractor? if so how does it do?

stslawncare
11-26-2002, 10:21 AM
i personaly have not used onebut did research it about a year ago for doing work on the farm. it is a great tool, is great for doing soil prep, one of the downsides was its price and in most cases its not worth purchasing unless u do a large amount fo soil prep, also generally only good on larger properties do to the over all length of the implement plus the tractor. if you have a few large properties that need this consider renting one.

Planet Landscaping
11-26-2002, 05:20 PM
Harley rakes on my kubotas make me a very nice profit!!! @ 10 .cents a sq. If you do lawn installs it will pay itself off quick. The new carbide tooth one roller is what we use. Get a Harley brand for sure. 30 hp min for 6 foot rake. ( 3,4 hundred lawns exp.)

strickdad
11-28-2002, 10:17 AM
sts i wish i could rent one, around here you cant rent anything for a tractor. im also considering just buying a 5 foot rototiller and a 5 foot pulverizer to hopefully achieve simllar results. what do you think?

Planet Landscaping
11-29-2002, 07:18 AM
Nothing = the harley rake for soil ,rock ,woodchips,gravel, or any thing else you need to level. For lawn installs in a variety of conditions: unscreened,screened,dry, wet,and rocky, nothin=the HARLEY RAKE. Take it from exp. Save your money. Hope this helps, Happy thanxgivin.

greenngrow
11-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Hey Strickdad,

Like the rest save your money and get the power rake.
I purchased one this past fall. I was able to install a 36,000 sq ft yard in 9 hours. This include leveling, seeding, and strawing. After all expenses I cleared $1100.00 on this one install. I have installed several yards before I got the machine. I would not do another install without my Harley. I the past two years I have installed over 60 properties. I have learned from experience.

I have a TC33 D and I got the 6 foot power rake. I use take the box blade and the tiller to the job site. Now I leave them at the shop.

I to debated about the purchase, but it was one of the best I have ever made.

PS I told my wife that I would like to have a Harley before the end of the year. She thought I was talking about a TWO WHEELER!!!!

I can't say enough good things about the Harley.

stslawncare
11-29-2002, 08:38 PM
if u can see urself doing many instals then go for it, if its one or two i wouldnt get one, it is a great piece of equipment.

Cheese burger
12-01-2002, 10:27 PM
I've got the 6 ft. I use it with my Kubota 4310. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the smaller one behind a compact tractor. I have a Kubota B21 I think the pto hp is 16 has anyone used one at this hp level?

Dave

SWD
12-07-2002, 03:49 AM
Yep, got the T-5 model behind a M-F 1233. I have rear, remote, hydraulics, and for installs, verticutting or renovations, the T-5 works well. However, the pivot point for the cylinder that controls the axis on the roller is a weak link.
I have spoken to Harley about this and their warranty guy is still MIA. Heart attack or something.
Call me at 830-693-0598, and I will tell you what I know.
Steve

strickdad
12-15-2002, 10:06 PM
i found a used one on the net, he is asking 3700.00 lt looks good in the pic. but you know how that is. its only about a hundred miles away so it might be worth looking into. btw hows the price?

Randy Scott
12-16-2002, 12:46 AM
Price wise, my 72" Harley power rake cost me $6500 this spring. I have one for my skidsteer though. If the one for $3700 is in good shape, should be worth the money. I'm assuming it might be a few years old and they had a different drum setup I believe for the actual rake part. I believe the new style is supposed to be a little better. I'm sure you could contact Glenmac and see what they say. Glenmac produces the Harley Rake.

lx665
12-22-2002, 10:13 AM
I had the old style drum and wore it out. I put the new style drum on and it's night and day difference. To upgrade to a new style drum cost around $1,300.00. The price includes new bearings.

John

Mike Bradbury
02-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Jammer
Harley rakes on my kubotas make me a very nice profit!!! @ 10 .cents a sq. If you do lawn installs it will pay itself off quick. The new carbide tooth one roller is what we use. Get a Harley brand for sure. 30 hp min for 6 foot rake. ( 3,4 hundred lawns exp.)

is that just to powerrake? For retail customers?
Around here developers pay .05' to finish grade, prep, seed and straw.:dizzy:

Mike Bradbury
02-20-2003, 11:33 PM
These really LEVEL enough that you don't need a box?????????
What's maintenence like? Life span?

paul
02-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Mike the Harley is and can be used as a power box rake. you can also angle it to either side so you can windrow the spoils.

strickdad
02-22-2003, 08:31 PM
i have found a place where i can rent on of these!! it is through sunbelt rentals.. the question i have is can i run it behind my tractor.. they dont give much info. at the rental place, they tell me it has a 72" working width. i see on glenmacs website that this is a T6 model. they say you can get away with as little as 22hp with this unit. i have a 26hp kubota, 4wd. loader on frt. you guys think i can pull it effectivly?

paul
02-23-2003, 09:46 AM
You might be a bit under powered, depending on the soil conditions. Slowing down over the harder stuff will do wonders.

strickdad
02-23-2003, 10:20 AM
paul i value your comments on this as i have no experiance with this unit. i realize the smaller unit would be ideal for my tractor (T5) but they dont offer that one. will it work simmlar to a roto-tiller? meaning can you set the depth of how far it will dig down?? any other info on this will also help, ie. setup etc.

paul
02-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Think of a Harley as a power planer, taking out the high spots but filling in the low ones. Yes it will remove weeds and grass and depending on how you adjust the top blade, how much lose topsoil it will leave. But a tiller it's not, your not going to go down 5" with this attachment!

strickdad
02-23-2003, 11:15 AM
thanks paul, i will pick up this unit fri. the 28th if the weather will cooperate with me ..

greenngrow
02-24-2003, 08:39 AM
Hey Strickdad,

Great to hear that you are getting a Harley. I Love mine and you will love yours I have no doubt that you will.

Mike Bradbury
02-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Hey greengrow,
What's maintenence like on these?

greenngrow
02-24-2003, 10:21 AM
Mike,

I just got mine this past fall. Only have used it on 6 or so jobs. Only thing you have to watch out for is trash building up on the inside roller and bearing. You need to clean out after each job. Other than that it is a great tool to have. I know that is has really increased my production. It really makes a great level site. I would not do another lawn install without my Harley.

Mike Bradbury
02-24-2003, 10:54 AM
How do they break up the surface? I guess I'm picuring high speed flails or something, with lots of vibration and impacts and the resulting maintenence concerns.

greenngrow
02-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Mike,
I would suggest that you go by the nearest dealer and ask for the video.

It is a good tape of the different ways to use the Harley. The biggest Compact that is on the tape no bigger than a 35 hp.

Now is you have a very small compact then you may want to step up your tractor size. I use a TC33 D. It handles the Harley with no problem. The only thing is when the machine is pulling a lot of dirt it wants to choke down the tractor. The Hydro tractor is the main concern on this.

Mike Bradbury
02-25-2003, 08:22 AM
no dealers close to me.
I have a 33D as well.

greenngrow
02-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Mike,
How far is Louisville to you. I bought mine from Louisville Tractor. I will look up the number and email you back. I will give you the guys name that I dealt with. He is a super nice guy. He knows what is talking about.

SWD
03-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Paul, I run the T-5 on my MF1233 and can go down to 5-5 1/2".
Strickdad, make sure you are running at a bit below max rated pto rpm's and your initial passes should be slow. I know this sounds odd, but I talked with Glenmac at length over this issue and was informed that the first passes should be lower pto rpm and slower ground speeds.
I tried it with the heavy clay and rock filled soils where I live and it was MUCH easier on me and the tractor. Once I have the initial passes done, then I ramped up the rpm to max rated pto and increased ground speed by at least triple.
If you own one, maintenance isn't hard - but you have to do it.
A poster commented on the debris build up on the roller already.
You HAVE to check the mounting bolts on the left (primary) chain side of the rake for looseness each time.
I check the pivot point for the drum assembly - it has two zerks and they need regular attention.
Here is a good tip: If you need a drum drive chain, as I have had to replace two so far, don't go through Glenmac, call Hitachi in Ga. and they will send you the chain. I got two complete, ready to be installed chains, for less than one chain from Glenmac - and delivery was quicker too!