PDA

View Full Version : walker mower 26efi proublems

tyslawnservice
01-29-2012, 12:42 AM
not sure if this is the right place on this form for this topic.

So I got my new walker mower 26hp efi kohler command pro in dec of 2010 for the snow, i have the 47'' broom attachment for it.
problems:
I've had it out working probably half doz times now and it has blown the oil seal on the crankshaft 3 times, not the side with the pulleys but the side next to the muffler.
It has been in the shop under warranty repair 3 times now. This time i told them I wanted it fixed not just slide a new seal on and put me out the door.
This time they came up with a reason for it blowing the seal... a breather hose on the bottom of the engine is getting ice in it and creating pressure and blowing the seal... So they have put in a call to kohler that was Tues and this is Sat no word back sofar from any one. If the fix doesn't work this time I'm thinking of talking directly to walker and see what they can do for Me.

Oh the last time it blew, the walker was in a heated shop(and let it warm up for 10 min), I loaded it on the trailer, got to the first job and oil every where!!!!!!:confused:

has any one else had this problem? please let me know of any problems to look out for or a fix for this one

MOW ED
01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Sorry for your problems, I can't help much. I have a 26EFI from 2000 and over 2000 hours on it with original seals. I only run the 42GHS deck on it but I have had very good luck with it. Keep us informed. Walker is a great company to work with. I had a 98 with a 25 Kohler that was junk. Walker did help me out and I got a letter from Bob Walker himself. I would contact them because 3 times is waaay too much.

Az Gardener
01-29-2012, 12:31 PM
I have the same 2010 and I had the same seal blow and I can promise no snow was involved. It has only happened once, about a month ago and we fixed it in house. Ours happened on a winter lawn the grass is fine but the street is still stained. Your story has me worried if it happens on some of the natural stone hardscaping we go over it could be a real big problem.

tyslawnservice
01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
AZ:
was the breather hose clogged or pinched? I haven't seen the hose they are talking about. I'm ticked off as it is... your post isn't helping. I only have 10? monthes left of warranty I dont want to be stuck with lemon i payed 16.5k for (with attachments)

thank you for your input, I"m sorry your having the same problem but i'm glad someone else has had this problem. EVERY ONE i've talked to doesn't have a clue what i'm talking about. the walker distributor for ALL of Montana has never seen this issue and has assured me that i am priority #1

Florida Gardener
01-29-2012, 10:38 PM
AZ:
was the breather hose clogged or pinched? I haven't seen the hose they are talking about. I'm ticked off as it is... your post isn't helping. I only have 10? monthes left of warranty I dont want to be stuck with lemon i payed 16.5k for (with attachments)

thank you for your input, I"m sorry your having the same problem but i'm glad someone else has had this problem. EVERY ONE i've talked to doesn't have a clue what i'm talking about. the walker distributor for ALL of Montana has never seen this issue and has assured me that i am priority #1

16.5k!!?? Holy schnikes
Posted via Mobile Device

tyslawnservice
01-29-2012, 10:56 PM
16.5k!!?? Holy schnikes
Posted via Mobile Device
i think it was 11900 for the mower with power dump. no deck 3700 for the broom and hitch and 830? for the 47'' dozer blade

electric
01-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Wow did you try calling walker tech support and explainig what is happening? Man this makes me happier about my purchase with my walker diesel in 2009!
Posted via Mobile Device

tyslawnservice
01-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Wow did you try calling walker tech support and explainig what is happening? Man this makes me happier about my purchase with my walker diesel in 2009!
Posted via Mobile Device

no i haven't talked to any one but my dealer and the guy that supplies all of MT's walkers. and u guys of course

UPDATE!
They called me today saying that my walker has been fixed! been 1 week allmost to the hr I dropped it off. He said the guy worked on it for an entire evening trying to get it to pop that seal and finally got it to do it so I asked "how he'd he do it?"... the guy didn't ask....COME ON!! but he said that they put some insulation around the breather hose and cleaned some cooling fan on the engine(its air cooled.. but i may be missing somthing) and he also said that i had some dirty cooling fins on the bottom.. who doesnt. he also said that my problem is i would run it and then park it on the trailer and turn it off, i stopped him there and told him that i kept it running the hole day from the time it leaves till i get home at night. he still insisted that it was because of it cooling off on the drive.

so to recap the reasons it is blowing the seal is:
1: the breather hose is freezing cause i turn it off(i dont).
2:it had a dirty fan(why does that matter its -10? it doesn't break down in the summer it was over 80 for month and half didn't break)
3:dirty air fins

i may be missing somthing
i will be going up tomorrow to pick it up

electric
01-31-2012, 06:49 AM
I am happy you hopefully have it all worked out. Still as you mentioned sounds very odd.. Keep your eye on the breather hose. It's difficult to imagine a machine that new could have so much excessive debri in the cooling fins. The clean out ports are two gold covers on the corner of the engines blower housing. Week to week check it and if it happens again you will know the problem is not clogged cooling fins as well as breather hose.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
The cooling fins deal is BS along with the rest of the reasons. Keep a good eye on it and use it frequently if you can. See if you can get it to blow again. You have a documented history with this motor so any more problems and I would be screaming of a new one.
Good Luck

clc19chase
01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
The cooling fins deal is BS along with the rest of the reasons. Keep a good eye on it and use it frequently if you can. See if you can get it to blow again. You have a documented history with this motor so any more problems and I would be screaming of a new one.
Good Luck

(x 2) they have filled you full of bull. side cover may need replacing. or the crankcase ventilation mechanism is failing.

clc19chase
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
I would reccomend you let them operate the tractor for an hour or so before you agree to take it home. Its gonna do it again because they obviously havent fixed the problem going by their explanations. They have likely put a new seal in, scarred the aluminum around the perimeter of the seal (with a punch). This is normal procedure on most seals. If they have shade tree fixed this side of the engine, then the next thing that happens is the seal behind the flywheel will blow. The crankcase pressure has to go somewhere. is the repair shop a Kohler dealer?

tyslawnservice
01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
nothing new to report yet. didn't get the mower today. they where suppose to fix my parking break, they put a new hydro on the right side(it went out in july i think they fixed it under warranty, took over a week). i've told them about it sense they fixed it, so when i dropped it off i told them i wanted that fixed before i picked it up. talked to him last night and he didn't remember me saying any thing about it. so he said he'll have to call the guy up again and he'll have to go back over and work on it.

so if you haven't caught on: we our dealer doesn't have a mechanic on duty... a few years ago we had some drunk i'd have to take it to and get it worked on. then it was this guy that was 80 that would look at it in a few weeks. now we have a hi-school shop teacher that works on them when he gets a chance.

they also don't have rental walkers or walkers that u get when yours is in for warranty repairs. i'v even heard of some dealers (if its under warranty) come and pick it up for you and drop it off

so in short, i'm getting tired of my dealer. i know of 3 other companys that are as well

Florida Gardener
01-31-2012, 07:53 PM
nothing new to report yet. didn't get the mower today. they where suppose to fix my parking break, they put a new hydro on the right side(it went out in july i think they fixed it under warranty, took over a week). i've told them about it sense they fixed it, so when i dropped it off i told them i wanted that fixed before i picked it up. talked to him last night and he didn't remember me saying any thing about it. so he said he'll have to call the guy up again and he'll have to go back over and work on it.

so if you haven't caught on: we our dealer doesn't have a mechanic on duty... a few years ago we had some drunk i'd have to take it to and get it worked on. then it was this guy that was 80 that would look at it in a few weeks. now we have a hi-school shop teacher that works on them when he gets a chance.

they also don't have rental walkers or walkers that u get when yours is in for warranty repairs. i'v even heard of some dealers (if its under warranty) come and pick it up for you and drop it off

so in short, i'm getting tired of my dealer. i know of 3 other companys that are as well

I know your frustration, I deal with the same worthless dealers around here. I would def find a new shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

tyslawnservice
01-31-2012, 08:43 PM
i think the next closest dealer is 230mi away

Florida Gardener
01-31-2012, 08:55 PM
i think the next closest dealer is 230mi away

Wow that sucks. Are walkers common in your area? I have never seen anyone here with a walker...
Posted via Mobile Device

tyslawnservice
02-01-2012, 12:15 AM
yeah lots of walkers around here.

tyslawnservice
02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I would reccomend you let them operate the tractor for an hour or so before you agree to take it home. Its gonna do it again because they obviously havent fixed the problem going by their explanations. They have likely put a new seal in, scarred the aluminum around the perimeter of the seal (with a punch). This is normal procedure on most seals. If they have shade tree fixed this side of the engine, then the next thing that happens is the seal behind the flywheel will blow. The crankcase pressure has to go somewhere. is the repair shop a Kohler dealer?

it ran all summer with out any issues (except the hydro). so for some reason it only breaks in the cold. right now the forecast looks like mid 40's. we'll see what happens next few snows

electric
02-01-2012, 06:37 AM
You had mentioned you bought your walker in dec 2010. You should look a the month it was manufactured (newer machines say month and year it was built by serial #).
All hydrostatic built after sept 2010 were supposed to have added check valve to lessen the chances of spiking hydro according to walker/eaton. Same design prior 2006 brought back by eaton. However sales being down the walker dealers/distributors sell 6 month old machines on average. Do you run a speed up pulley on it?

tyslawnservice
02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
my bet is it was built in early Months of '10. and i don't have a speed up kit, thought about it though

tyslawnservice
02-01-2012, 10:10 AM
i'll check the S. num when i get it from the shop

electric
02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Being it a 2010 it will say that on it along with the month built. Also did dealer or you install the speed up pulley on it?
Posted via Mobile Device

electric
02-01-2012, 10:49 AM
It was explained to me as long as it was manufactured after sept of 2010 the hydros should be almost bulet proof. Walker is trying to work out warranty issues with eaton with over 10,000 bad hydros!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Landrus2
02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
not sure if this is the right place on this form for this topic.

So I got my new walker mower 26hp efi kohler command pro in dec of 2010 for the snow, i have the 47'' broom attachment for it.
problems:
I've had it out working probably half doz times now and it has blown the oil seal on the crankshaft 3 times, not the side with the pulleys but the side next to the muffler.
It has been in the shop under warranty repair 3 times now. This time i told them I wanted it fixed not just slide a new seal on and put me out the door.
This time they came up with a reason for it blowing the seal... a breather hose on the bottom of the engine is getting ice in it and creating pressure and blowing the seal... So they have put in a call to kohler that was Tues and this is Sat no word back sofar from any one. If the fix doesn't work this time I'm thinking of talking directly to walker and see what they can do for Me.

Oh the last time it blew, the walker was in a heated shop(and let it warm up for 10 min), I loaded it on the trailer, got to the first job and oil every where!!!!!!:confused:

has any one else had this problem? please let me know of any problems to look out for or a fix for this one

Walker wont do crap for you at least they dint for me
You can do this yourself in the oil fill cap take cap off put this breather where cap was
Just in winter time
:waving::waving::waving::waving:

tyslawnservice
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Walker wont do crap for you at least they dint for me
You can do this yourself in the oil fill cap take cap off put this breather where cap was
Just in winter time
:waving::waving::waving::waving:

you had the same problem? if so what lead to the seal blowing and what did you dealer do if anything

wouldn't that mean i have blow-by in my engine? or it just nat has some pressure and desides to toss a seal every now and again

tyslawnservice
02-07-2012, 11:40 PM
no speed up kit has ever been installed on my walker

well no new updates been a over a week now with no word from any one at the dealership how long does it really take to check and adjust a parking break?

electric
02-07-2012, 11:52 PM
no speed up kit has ever been installed on my walker

well no new updates been a over a week now with no word from any one at the dealership how long does it really take to check and adjust a parking break?

It takes about ten minutes to adjust the parking brake for left and right sides. Sounds like perhaps they are privately testing to be sure you will not have a problem again, or working out the bugs with walker/distributor. I don't know if I would push them. Maybe suttle friendly phone call, "just checking in on progress".
Posted via Mobile Device

tyslawnservice
02-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't know if I would push them. Maybe suttle friendly phone call, "just checking in on progress".
Posted via Mobile Device

dont worry i've been in biz long enough to know not to burn bridges. i may vent on here but i've been respectful to the dealership. didn't ask any questions the other 2 times this has happened. this time i'm asking questions. if it happes to have this problem again things will be turned up a notch. planning to call tomorrow.

tyslawnservice
02-10-2012, 01:50 AM
update!!!
got my walker to day! they put some insulation on the hose(i thought it would be on the bottom but it was on the top right where the air intake is).
the theory is still the cooling fans are circulating cold air over the engine and clogged air fins: condensation in the air tube and freezing making ice and popping out the seal. problem being: it was new and clean when this problem started.

i called up today and asked if the walker was done.. yes! been done sense last Tues just honestly forgot to call me. to be clear when i said i was getting tired of my dealer it was in regards to the fact that they don't have mechanic on duty and or the mechanic's they've had represent them haven't been up to par. they know this and they think the new guy is up to par. time will tell, this guy did take the time to look into what may be causing this problem:)

first thing they did when i got there, they started off with was. Walker call us(my dealer)the other day saying that there was a certain online form that has been brought to there attention. so walker and my dealer went through this form and read it together. my dealer was ticked that i would openly bash them online and asked how i would feel if they did the same to me. i told them it was a open form and they can say what they want, i never bashed them. they also said i was making them look like they didn't know what they where doing and that they where just passing on what the mechanic was telling them.

recap:
seal on the engine: they said that sense this problem has been coming back that even if the warranty has expired they will cover it.
yes my walker is fixed this time
they also said that cause they had so many hydros go out that they extended the warranty past the 2y 1000 hr.. sweet!
Walker Mower Company knows of my problems because they know of this form
my dealer is trying to help but they have had some problems with finding a good mechanic to represent them.

MOW ED
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Good news for you. It looks like you have things goig right finally. It is encouraging that Walker does monitor this forum. I have said it before, they do care what is happening with their product and thats why I will always own a Walker. The dealer seems to have figured the mechanic thing out and you have to give them a hats off for trying. Good Luck with your machine. Thanks for the updates.

electric
02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I am happy that the dealer and walker worked out the problems for you! Walker has been top notch for me with my MDD and with newest upgrade. There tech support is amazing! They do build a top notch machine. Most of the walker problems on this forum have been with (Kohler engines and Eaton hydro pumps) I think with the newer eaton pumps having the improved check valve you will see far less failures. Along with improved steering having no stress on hydro control arms, (available as an upgrade).