PDA

View Full Version : Broadleaf herbicides

Decali
11-26-2002, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking about a change to a non 2,4-D broadleaf herbicide for next seasons spring application. Main weed present that time of year in my area is dandelion. The only product I want to stay away from is clopyralid. Anyone have experience using a non 2,4-D product and if so, what is your opinion?

f350
11-26-2002, 11:23 AM
why do you want to stay away from clopyralid and why no 2,4-d?

i have used non-2,4-d products and they work, just take longer..
all of the new accounts we pick up rarely need any heavy weed control, most former lco's just did blanket applications every round.

Decali
11-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Most, if not all of my new accounts have heavy weed pressure initially and I need to be rather aggressive with blanket apps. Both 2,4_D and Clopyralid have gotten some (unjustified) bad press recently and I'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve in the event that a customer is concerned. If changing products is not cost effective or will not do the job it won't happen. I'm always open to new approaches but I would rather have input on others experience before I take the leap.

f350
11-26-2002, 02:43 PM
2,4-d has had bad press for years.. clopyralid, we have all shared some therory on why this is going away, i believe it's just a big business not wanting to defend a chemical they will soon lose a patent on. my advice buy all the clopyralid you can, it's just like diaznon when it runs out thats it.. if you have heavy weed's hit them when it's cool with an ester, other wise just nail them with something like a trimec formula. remember perception is everything in our business and if they see it takes 14-21 days for a weed to die, then in most cases they will not be pleased.

TOMMY1115
11-30-2002, 10:07 AM
Like f350 said, the non 2-4d products take longer to kill, and products without clopyralid sometimes will not control your harder to kill weeds (clover, violets, etc.)

Not only that, but the non 2-4d products like Lesco's Eliminate, are significantly higher than Momentum, because of the lack of 2-4d.

Tom

KLR
11-30-2002, 06:22 PM
2,4-D=best control

Clopyralid is being pulled off market due to possible problems with grass clippings in compost....right??

http://www.24d.org/

tremor
11-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Decali,

You might want to check out our LESCO Threeway Ester 2.

No 2,4-D or chlopyralid.

It's an ester form of MCPA, Triclopyr, & Dicamba. Real fast. Really competitive price.

Just watch the warmer temps.

http://www.bluebooktor.com/asp/free_b.asp

Steve