PDA

View Full Version : Broken V-Ride Frames

newlooklandscp
01-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh Scag ........

Background: Originally ran just wright standers since day 1 they were introduced for the stand on equipment. Always have had scag for all the walk behinds as well. Scag definitely makes an awesome product, great decks, etc. So early in 2011 my wrights were due since they had 2000+ hrs on them. I have had the typical break downs over the years with wright and never really liked the way the units pick up clipping and leaves so I decided to switch to the V-Ride.

I purchased (2) 52" 26hp Scag V-Rides in March 2011. Put them into service this past season. We mostly do just large commercial mowing. Was super pleased with mowing, stripping, power, etc and had zero issues all summer except for one deck spring breaking. The Monday before Thanksgiving the one crew calls to say the frame snapped (see the picture). Both sides right under the motor. This unit has about 505hrs on it right now. So I do an inspection on the other unit later that day (different crew) to see that the frame has buckled (not cracked yet) but all the orange paint is blown off on both sides. This unit has about 485hrs on it.

The dealer has the units now so Im interested to see what scag is going to do. Anyone else have an issue like this?

djagusch
01-29-2012, 08:58 PM
They have a TSB out for the 52" vrides which add gussets. New models have them already built in.
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
01-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Yah, they have a service bulletin on the 52" machines. Honestly I think the units should go back to Scag and get a new frame installed. I dont think their "fix" will hold up. They wanted us to do it to a brand new machine. So now I weld on it and am supposed to get the paint as good as the factory? Screw that. Come get your machine.

Honestly if you want a stander, get the Wright one. Sorry for the bad pun ;)

newlooklandscp
01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
They have a TSB out for the 52" vrides which add gussets. New models have them already built in.
Posted via Mobile Device

That TSB was for the front of the frame up by the casters. The original frame was snapping there two years ago. Those gussets are already built into this unit when it was new. This is a totally different part of the frame.

newlooklandscp
01-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Yah, they have a service bulletin on the 52" machines. Honestly I think the units should go back to Scag and get a new frame installed. I dont think their "fix" will hold up. They wanted us to do it to a brand new machine. So now I weld on it and am supposed to get the paint as good as the factory? Screw that. Come get your machine.

Honestly if you want a stander, get the Wright one. Sorry for the bad pun ;)

As stated. I had wright for 7+ years. Just not a big fan of the cut and ground speed. Plus the floating deck model is way over priced. I have already contacted scag so Im pushing for new frames otherwise we might have some issues. Considering I have over 10 scag units in the fleet.

pugs
01-30-2012, 12:15 AM
As stated. I had wright for 7+ years. Just not a big fan of the cut and ground speed. Plus the floating deck model is way over priced. I have already contacted scag so Im pushing for new frames otherwise we might have some issues. Considering I have over 10 scag units in the fleet.

The X's are within like $400 or so of the fixed deck machines. What about the ground speed? They are the same or faster than the V-ride except for the 61" V-ride must have a different setup.

Also the service bulletin I am talking about is for right where yours broke. I was unaware of any problems at the front ends.

djagusch
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
The X's are within like $400 or so of the fixed deck machines. What about the ground speed? They are the same or faster than the V-ride except for the 61" V-ride must have a different setup.

Also the service bulletin I am talking about is for right where yours broke. I was unaware of any problems at the front ends.
I have only seen the rear frame tsb also. Where his broke.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
i saw that coming, and has happened to my competitors here. i never thought that frame looked substantial enough. overall not a fan of the machine either.

i am sorry to hear about this, and i hope scag takes care of their customers. the dealer of my comptetitor had his mower for months for some reason. at least the dealer had a loaner wildcat he got to use

newlooklandscp
01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I stand corrected. I spoke with Pace today and Russo's. In December of 2010 a TSB #160 was for a mandatory plate to be installed on the frame under the motor area by all dealers before they release the units. I purchased mine in March 2011 and they did not. Now they are replacing both frames with new ones free of charge.

newlooklandscp
01-30-2012, 02:41 PM

No way. Not the pricing I get on the v-rides. Im talking over a $1000 bucks + difference plus free baskets among other things.

djagusch
01-30-2012, 05:21 PM
I stand corrected. I spoke with Pace today and Russo's. In December of 2010 a TSB #160 was for a mandatory plate to be installed on the frame under the motor area by all dealers before they release the units. I purchased mine in March 2011 and they did not. Now they are replacing both frames with new ones free of charge.

Sounds like they are taking care of you. Which is how Scag normally does biz.

pugs
01-30-2012, 09:21 PM
No way. Not the pricing I get on the v-rides. Im talking over a $1000 bucks + difference plus free baskets among other things.

I was talking regular Standers vs Stander X's

The V-ride has special pricing...they are the only competitively priced Scag.

BigFish
01-31-2012, 11:28 AM

And let's not forget, as an added bonus not one, but two, count 'em two broken frames! What a deal !! Shweeeeeet!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...................

newlooklandscp
01-31-2012, 05:40 PM
And let's not forget, as an added bonus not one, but two, count 'em two broken frames! What a deal !! Shweeeeeet!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...................

lol Ill just snap another this season and keep em coming. lol

BigFish
01-31-2012, 06:10 PM
I couldn't resist............

I actually worked for a Scag dealer several years ago, and at that time they never had any major issues, I thought they were decent machines.
It's a shame the dlr didn't install the plates, but on the bright side ya get new frames, hopefully in a timely manner.
Let us know....