PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about this mower

944own
01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Bobcat Ransomes it is for my friend he is looking for a starter mower to upgrade from what he is using now. Says it has a 20hp briggs and a 52" deck. What year do you think it is and how are they if anyone has had one. thanks

Manager1
01-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Looks okay to me.....

OneLineAtATime
01-30-2012, 12:08 AM
I always say buy what is sold close to your home. Parts is the most important thing

944own
01-30-2012, 12:12 AM
I always say buy what is sold close to your home. Parts is the most important thing

Parts is not a problem. Did you have one and what did you think about it.

stockie
01-30-2012, 12:28 AM
I just bought a used Fastcat Pro last month. I knew nothing about Bobcat so started to do some research. Turns out there are 3 dealers with in 20 miles of me that will service it, or sell bobcat. (one is just down the road) They arent big in my area, but I think its because the place close to me stocks exmark and gravely and pushes them. The other two places further away stocks them. I did alot of research on here and couldnt really find anything bad about them. I guess they are the company that bought out Bunton. I have gone over it pretty good and it seems very well built and simple. One tip someone told me was to put a magnet down into the hydro fluid tanks to see if you pull out any bits of metal. If you do, it needs work, probably means the hydros or hydro motors are shot. One of those magnets on a wand they sell at auto stores was perfect. That pic looks like its a few or several years old. I believe mine is a 2010. If it helps for pricing, this one is a 52 inch with aluminum accelerator bagger and has 52 hours. I paid $4500. Here is the link to my other post with pics of it for you to compare. Good Luck Post any other questions you have.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=368200

944own
01-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I just bought a used Fastcat Pro last month. I knew nothing about Bobcat so started to do some research. Turns out there are 3 dealers with in 20 miles of me that will service it, or sell bobcat. (one is just down the road) They arent big in my area, but I think its because the place close to me stocks exmark and gravely and pushes them. The other two places further away stocks them. I did alot of research on here and couldnt really find anything bad about them. I guess they are the company that bought out Bunton. I have gone over it pretty good and it seems very well built and simple. One tip someone told me was to put a magnet down into the hydro fluid tanks to see if you pull out any bits of metal. If you do, it needs work, probably means the hydros or hydro motors are shot. One of those magnets on a wand they sell at auto stores was perfect. That pic looks like its a few or several years old. I believe mine is a 2010. If it helps for pricing, this one is a 52 inch with aluminum accelerator bagger and has 52 hours. I paid $4500. Here is the link to my other post with pics of it for you to compare. Good Luck Post any other questions you have.

Thanks for the comments my friend found this mower and says he can get it under 1k so it seems like a good deal. The mower does look like it has a few years on it but looks to be in good condition. My friend is very mechanical so he can do just about anything to the mower so if he had to replace a hydro or something I think for that price it should be worth it.

unkownfl
01-30-2012, 12:38 AM
That is more of a landowner type machine not a commercial machine. For a thousand its a good deal but I hope he knows who he is buying it from because that's pretty cheap. That looks to be a intek briggs engine which is a residential engine. The tires are turf savers and suck looks like it was a cheap owner.

dgfitz
01-30-2012, 01:48 AM
I drove one like that a few years ago, good mower and as a starter
mower the price is right. The guy that owned the one that I drove
had purchased his used also as a start up, and kept it for a back up
after he upgraded. He still has the unit as a back up machine. As noted
by another poster, the engine isn't a commercial stout one, but with
proper maintenance and careful handling it is a great start up machine
your friend can make money with.

Lefet
01-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Never heard that, going to try it and see what happens.

That is more of a landowner type machine not a commercial machine. For a thousand its a good deal but I hope he knows who he is buying it from because that's pretty cheap. That looks to be a intek briggs engine which is a residential engine. The tires are turf savers and suck looks like it was a cheap owner.

A briggs engine is considered to be residential?

And how come no one has asked how many hours are on it?

Manager1
01-30-2012, 08:09 AM
I figure anything that goes wrong I can fix if need be.As for the motor I can buy a better motor and go through it and install at a later point.As for the hydros there is a local shop here that can help with pressure testing and servicing the pumps.I think it will be a good starter mower even if it has to sit inside the garage for a few months until ready.I think there are plenty of tires out on the web.Also remeber I am looking for a project...Thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming..

unkownfl
01-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Never heard that, going to try it and see what happens.

A briggs engine is considered to be residential?

And how come no one has asked how many hours are on it?

It is when it has stamped steel valve covers.