PDA

View Full Version : Impact wrench blade removal

weeze
01-29-2012, 11:50 PM
up until now i've always removed and installed blades by hand with a socket wrench and block of wood. now i have a battery powered impact wrench. do you still put a block of wood in there to keep the blade from spinning or do you just unscrew the bolt without blocking the blade off? also when re-installing it what method do you use? before i would push the blade with my left hand while pushing the socket wrench in the other direction with my right hand. sorry if this seems like something everyone should already know but i've never owned an impact wrench until now. thanks for any help.

unkownfl
01-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Keep your hands clear of the blades even when using the impact. You should be able to not hold the blades for both install and removal of the blades if you have an electric clutch. A manual throw out pulley system for blade engagement may require a wood chock. Be sure not to over torque the bolts. It's always best to always start the bolt/nut by hand then tighten with a torque wrench. Remember sometimes the blade bolt holds the bearings and over torquing can also cause bearing failure and the threads to stretch when using an impact.

Landscape Poet
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I am with Unknown. And agree with his caution on not over torquing the bolts.

weeze
01-30-2012, 12:03 AM
ok so on my ztr no block of wood is needed but on my pushmower a block will be needed?

hey michael go look at my pic thread i asked you a question in there about the blade sharpener.

unkownfl
01-30-2012, 12:12 AM
ok so on my ztr no block of wood is needed but on my pushmower a block will be needed?

hey michael go look at my pic thread i asked you a question in there about the blade sharpener.

If you mean push mower like in where the blade is bolted to the engine you shouldn't need to chock the blade unless you hit something or over tightened it. The ZTR could go both ways depending on how tight it is. You shouldn't need to chock either tightening it.

weeze
01-30-2012, 12:14 AM
ok i'm just trying to avoid the blade spinning around while tigtening or removing. when i turned it with a socket it would turn the whole spindle if i didn't block it off. i think i read somewhere there is a risk of cranking the engine on a pushmower where the blade is connected directly to the engine. i guess it can't happen since i wouldn't be holding down the safety lever on the handle. :laugh:

unkownfl
01-30-2012, 12:19 AM
An impact usually doesn't turn that fast when its under load. I don't think it would be possible to start an engine with one.

weeze
01-30-2012, 12:30 AM
yeah maybe that was another type of wrench/driver they were talking about.

so when you remove/install the bolt just comes out and the spindle/blade doesn't turn at all?

unkownfl
01-30-2012, 12:37 AM
yeah maybe that was another type of wrench/driver they were talking about.

so when you remove/install the bolt just comes out and the spindle/blade doesn't turn at all?

Usually that is what happens. Same thing like on an alternator pulley on a car or harmonic balancer.

weeze
01-30-2012, 12:46 AM
ok thanks for the help. :)

Mickhippy
01-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Be sure to start the bolt by hand when re attaching or you can screw up the thread. Been there, done that!

ralph02813
01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
up until now i've always removed and installed blades by hand with a socket wrench and block of wood. now i have a battery powered impact wrench. do you still put a block of wood in there to keep the blade from spinning or do you just unscrew the bolt without blocking the blade off? also when re-installing it what method do you use? before i would push the blade with my left hand while pushing the socket wrench in the other direction with my right hand. sorry if this seems like something everyone should already know but i've never owned an impact wrench until now. thanks for any help.

I use a blade buster its fits over the blade and against the deck, the blade cannot move either way. Home Depot $8.00

orangemower
01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I use a blade buster its fits over the blade and against the deck, the blade cannot move either way. Home Depot $8.00

A piece of 2x4......... FREE!

weeze
01-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Be sure to start the bolt by hand when re attaching or you can screw up the thread. Been there, done that!

yeah i always tighten them far as i can by hand first. :weightlifter:

weeze
01-30-2012, 11:02 PM

ok thanks i'll look into it. :)

Mickhippy
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
yeah i always tighten them far as i can by hand first. :weightlifter:

Dont need to go that far. Defeats the purpose of having an impact. Just start the thread several turns so its all good then hit it with the impact.

weeze
01-31-2012, 12:27 AM
well i kindof have to do that anyways or the blade will not be seated onto the spindle. it will fall out of place unless the bolt is tightened all the way by hand first to hold it up into place. if you let it drop down it will not line up correctly. it's hard to explain.

Mickhippy
01-31-2012, 12:40 AM
well i kindof have to do that anyways or the blade will not be seated onto the spindle. it will fall out of place unless the bolt is tightened all the way by hand first to hold it up into place. if you let it drop down it will not line up correctly. it's hard to explain.

I think I understand. There isnt much extra thread or bolts are short.
As long as the thread is caught properly, then you can impact it.

Today I took the blades off my new SZ to check for balance (brand spankin new. They were so far off it isnt funny) and noticed the bolt is shorter. Still, a few turns to seat and impacted.

What ever works mate. :drinkup:
Having an impact is a time saver, may as well use it as much as possible.

weeze
01-31-2012, 12:50 AM
yeah faster than the old socket wrench i've been using. :laugh:

how you liking that new super z?

Mickhippy
01-31-2012, 01:17 AM
how you liking that new super z?

All ive done so far is drive it across the road and up n down my driveway. I have turned the blade on and, I dont have the words to explain it, its like sitting on a tank!

Been working on it, setting it up for work as its way to wet to actually mow anything at the moment. I have to tell you, I AM HANGING to cut some grass with it! Not looking forward to the fuel side of things but still, kinda frustrating having a beast in the shed and unable to use it. Kinda like my...... oh, never mind! hehe:rolleyes:

weeze
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
:laugh: i'm sure that thing is a beast. you shouldn't have any problems bogging down with it.

Ridin' Green
01-31-2012, 06:14 PM

Mickhippy-

I know what Jason is talking about. We have a shoulder on the spindle shaft that the blade needs to be fitted over before being tightened down good.

Jason-

Now that you have the impact, just start the bolt about 2-4 full turns to make sure it isn't cross threaded, then with your free hand, hold the blade up over the spindle shoulder and tighten the bolt with the impact. You'll see. That way is far faster than finger tightening to get the blade in place over the shoulder first.

Ridin' Green
01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
All ive done so far is drive it across the road and up n down my driveway. I have turned the blade on and, I dont have the words to explain it, its like sitting on a tank!

Been working on it, setting it up for work as its way to wet to actually mow anything at the moment. I have to tell you, I AM HANGING to cut some grass with it! Not looking forward to the fuel side of things but still, kinda frustrating having a beast in the shed and unable to use it. Kinda like my...... oh, never mind! hehe:rolleyes:

Mickhippy-
I'm using my native American side to do an anti rain dance for ya mate. I'm needin' to see some vid's of Ol' Yeller. I have to wait another couple 3 months before I can get back to it here.:rolleyes:

Mickhippy
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Mickhippy-
I'm using my native American side to do an anti rain dance for ya mate. I'm needin' to see some vid's of Ol' Yeller. I have to wait another couple 3 months before I can get back to it here.:rolleyes:

Thanks mate, dance away!:cool2:

ed2hess
01-31-2012, 07:35 PM
This threads reminds me of the christmas stort about the kid wanting a bb gun and his mother said he would shoot his eye out.

weeze
01-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Jason-

Now that you have the impact, just start the bolt about 2-4 full turns to make sure it isn't cross threaded, then with your free hand, hold the blade up over the spindle shoulder and tighten the bolt with the impact. You'll see. That way is far faster than finger tightening to get the blade in place over the shoulder first.

yeah i was thinking about trying that just didn't know if the blade would swing around or not when the bolt was tightened down. thanks for the tip. :cool2:

weeze
01-31-2012, 10:58 PM
This threads reminds me of the christmas stort about the kid wanting a bb gun and his mother said he would shoot his eye out.

so i guess since that's a classic movie that makes this a classic thread. :laugh:

Ridin' Green
01-31-2012, 11:19 PM
yeah i was thinking about trying that just didn't know if the blade would swing around or not when the bolt was tightened down. thanks for the tip. :cool2:

Your impact should have different torque settings on it, and as long as you don't have the thing set to max, it won't spin the blade on you, or at least it shouldn't. You need to set it to only tighten up the bolt as much as is recommended in the manual. Over torqing the bolt isn't good for the bolt, or anything else for that matter. You may also want to invest in some impact sockets that are designed just for that purpose. Some std. sockets won't hold up for long under the use of an impact wrench.

weeze
01-31-2012, 11:46 PM
the impact i have doesn't have settings on it. it's rated at 200ft lbs but most have said in reality it's closer to 80-90 ft lbs. which should be fine for mower blades. i put more torque on it than that using the socket wrench and doing it by hand. :laugh:

weeze
02-01-2012, 12:00 AM
just checked the manual and it says tighten to 90 ft lbs so it should be spot on. :)

Mickhippy
02-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Your impact should have different torque settings on it, and as long as you don't have the thing set to max, it won't spin the blade on you, or at least it shouldn't. You need to set it to only tighten up the bolt as much as is recommended in the manual. Over torqing the bolt isn't good for the bolt, or anything else for that matter. You may also want to invest in some impact sockets that are designed just for that purpose. Some std. sockets won't hold up for long under the use of an impact wrench.

Standard sockets can round the bolt as well. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had been doing it for 3 yrs though but it was a pita getting it off. Had to go to local dealer, he just hammered an impact socket on and it came off easy!
I am now going to get impact sockets! (thats a reminder to self:hammerhead:)

As far as impacting, just dont go crazy with it. Once its tight, just an few extra hammers should be good. Spinning blades should tighten themselves. Ever tried getting a blade off after you've hit something?