PDA

View Full Version : Transformer shorts out

wirenut26
01-30-2012, 08:32 AM
I have installed 2 transformers, both shorted out right away when I hooked up low voltage wire. Wires are not shorted with no bulbs installed. Could a bulb be shorted. Never heard of that ?

Lite4
01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Did you overload the transformers? How many watts are they rated for and how much load did you place on them? Never exceed 80% of the transformer capacity in bulb wattage or you could be asking for trouble. Remember, you also lose "wattage" in wire resistance, so if you are maxing out the transformers you are probably way over capacity which would cause a thermal overload and in turn make the internal fuse or breaker to trip.

wirenut26
01-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Did you overload the transformers? How many watts are they rated for and how much load did you place on them? Never exceed 80% of the transformer capacity in bulb wattage or you could be asking for trouble. Remember, you also lose "wattage" in wire resistance, so if you are maxing out the transformers you are probably way over capacity which would cause a thermal overload and in turn make the internal fuse or breaker to trip.
I replaced a 600 watt transformer. 2 lines-3- 50watt bulbs on each line not over loaded. Does a bad bulb ever cause a dead short.

RLI Electric
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes a bad lamp can cause a short.

S&MLL
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
How is this system wired? Normal 2 wire; 3 wire; loop? Get ur multi out and start taking some readings. One of your fixtures can be shifting out
Posted via Mobile Device

steveparrott
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Highly unlikely there could be a dead short in an incandescent bulb - filaments are so thin, they just melt and break causing an open circuit. Socket's, however, can short out, single contact bayonet types are especially vulnerable. The short may only occur when a lamp is inserted.

LED lamps, on the other hand, often do fail with a short.

Lite4
01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Has your client recently added anything new to that circuit inside the home that could be bumping up your total amperage and causing the breaker to trip? (did you say the transformers pop or the circuit breaker pops? Wasn't sure which). Did you do any rewiring and perhaps cross wires from one trans to another?
Posted via Mobile Device

RLI Electric
01-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Did you try hooking up a test lamp with just a short jumper? Could be bad transformers. I agree with Steve, unlikely but possible. I have seen it happen with a 120 volt light a few times.