PDA

View Full Version : How many accounts do you have?

Angelski28
01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Simple question. How many accounts do you have and how many hours a week do you put in to complete the work? How many workers do you have if any, and how many lawns per day is your goal?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Accounts meaning mowing? Or strictly fert? Or total customer list that you do work for sometime during the season?
Posted via Mobile Device

Weeder's Lawn Enforcement
01-30-2012, 10:45 AM
I am only part time and this is my first year. My goal was a dozen or so and so far I have gained 7 accounts. I was fortunate enough that 2 of the 7 not only want weekly mowing but also want decent sized 1 time landscape jobs done. I hope to add no more than 20 total. Also, I am a single man company.

Angelski28
01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
An example would be:

I have 20 lawn accounts. Per week I spend 10-12 hours doing lawns by myself. I try to do 3 lawns a day during a 5 day work week.

94gt331
01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
62 lawns a week, takes 3 full days to do if where working hard enough usually 12hr days and maybe a 4th day if were behind. I try to make atleast $550 per day working 2 guys on the crew. Sometimes i make more but my monthly income on my accounts is altittle over $8,000. I don't want anymore lawn work than that. I like to spend 3 days a week doing landscaping.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-30-2012, 03:34 PM
40 lawns per week....solo....mow 3 days,10-11 hr per day ....remainder of time... all forms of landscaping,property maintenance, and lawn programs....usually 3, 10-12 hour days.

Guzzo856
01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
infinity accounts:cool2: but i have 13 commercial accounts and this year about 25-30 res. It will take me 4 days to cut with a 4 man crew and 2 trucks with about 10 hrs a day.

tyler_mott85
01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
5 accounts. Takes me about half of a saturday to service them. Give or take? :)

orangemower
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
One guy has 20 lawns a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing them.
The next guy has 6 lawns a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing them.
Another guy has 12 lawns a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing them.
Here's another guy with 1 lawn a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing it.

They all spend about the same amount of time each week to service them.

I'd imagine you get the point that these questions are irrelevant with way to many variables to answer. It's not about how many accounts you have.

Guzzo856
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM
One guy has 20 lawns a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing them.
The next guy has 6 lawns a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing them.
Another guy has 12 lawns a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing them.
Here's another guy with 1 lawn a week to service and gets paid $900 for doing it.

They all spend about the same amount of time each week to service them.

I'd imagine you get the point that these questions are irrelevant with way to many variables to answer. It's not about how many accounts you have.Very true. My 13 commercial accounts are quivelant to about 190 res accounts. The largest at $1,300 a cut with edge.

Landscraper1
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Simple question. How many accounts do you have and how many hours a week do you put in to complete the work? How many workers do you have if any, and how many lawns per day is your goal?

I have 45 accounts. It take approx 40 hrs for 13 men to complete. The amount of lawns is of no concern, size matters.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
I have 45 accounts. It take approx 40 hrs for 13 men to complete. The amount of lawns is of no concern, size matters.

IMO, the size of an account does matter. If you could put a tight route of postage stamp lawns together, your margin would be much better than the same time spent on large accounts. That's just me.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
01-30-2012, 08:17 PM
The better question to ask others is what is your man hour costs, and what is % profit per man hour while mowing. I think this may be what your looking for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Angelski28
01-31-2012, 07:24 AM
The answers have been great. I am solo for right now. I have 10 accounts and am looking to gain 10 more. I just wanted a sense of what other guys work loads are. I have heard some people with 80 accounts or 120 accounts. I know if I get too many I will have to hire a helper. At this point I would rather do it myself and make all the money instead of sharing it.

orangemower
01-31-2012, 07:29 AM
The answers have been great. I am solo for right now. I have 10 accounts and am looking to gain 10 more. I just wanted a sense of what other guys work loads are. I have heard some people with 80 accounts or 120 accounts. I know if I get too many I will have to hire a helper. At this point I would rather do it myself and make all the money instead of sharing it.

How would you be "sharing" the money you made? I don't get that. If you hire an employee, they should be MAKING you money not taking it away.

Landscraper1
01-31-2012, 07:58 AM
How would you be "sharing" the money you made? I don't get that. If you hire an employee, they should be MAKING you money not taking it away.

Ditto!!!!!!!

Dunlaps LawnCare
01-31-2012, 08:30 AM
we have about 32 maintance accounts

fireman gus
01-31-2012, 08:59 AM
My son and I. We have 107 regular mowing accounts (90 weekly, 17 biweekly)-commercial and residental- and 300 plus weed control and fertilizer accounts. Normal working hours 6am to 5pm Monday through Friday and usually 1/2 day on Saturday. We also do 3 commercial properties on Sunday when needed.

orangemower
01-31-2012, 09:10 AM
My son and I. We have 107 regular mowing accounts (90 weekly, 17 biweekly)-commercial and residental- and 300 plus weed control and fertilizer accounts. Normal working hours 6am to 5pm Monday through Friday and usually 1/2 day on Saturday. We also do 3 commercial properties on Sunday when needed.

Screw that. I don't want to work 7 days a week.

torotorotoro
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
220 residential 34 commercial. two more then full time guys and 1 to two part time guys

Big C
01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Why do people get caught up in the number of accounts?.....which is really meaningless to me. My real concern is my weekly and monthly cashflow...Is it Walmart's primary concern to count the number of customers that walk in and out of their doors.....probably not, but their primary concerned is the amount of cash that flows in and out of a particular store on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, weather it comes from 1000 customers or 10,000 customers is neither here nor there . This his how I set my goals based on cash flow and profit margin...period....not the amount of customers I have or can get.

fireman gus
01-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Screw that. I don't want to work 7 days a week.

As stated in my thread "as needed". Normally we do not work on Sundays but when it is time for weed control service we do it on Sunday as they are auto dealerships and closed on Sunday. We notify the dealerships and they have all the vehicles moved so that we don't accidently hit them with chemical. Another is a business that is only closed on Sundays and therefore it is best to spray when there is no one around. I understand your reason for not wanting to work 7 days a week but sometimes it is necessary. I have found that I will do whatever is needed to support my family and my son his.

Florida Gardener
01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Why do people get caught up in the number of accounts?.....which is really meaningless to me. My real concern is my weekly and monthly cashflow...Is it Walmart's primary concern to count the number of customers that walk in and out of their doors.....probably not, but their primary concerned is the amount of cash that flows in and out of a particular store on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, weather it comes from 1000 customers or 10,000 customers is neither here nor there . This his how I set my goals based on cash flow and profit margin...period....not the amount of customers I have or can get.

I agree. It's about cash flow and if you are making what you need on each property.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
I would like to have 120 clients this year, thats my goal!!

landscaper22
02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I agree numbers are just numbers. I have people ask me all the time...How many accounts do you have now??? It's like ummmm I could just have one account that takes me 45 hrs per week. Or I could have 100 accts that take me 45 hrs per week. The company that services the industry my dad works for has a crew of 4-5 people working full time year-round at that one account. In the summer they add even more help. So, how many account you service means very little. Not that I am trying to take anything away from the thread. Just saying I could have one account with a gross of $1.5 million or 100 accounts with a gross of only $200k

R&S Lawn Service
02-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Just saying I could have one account with a gross of $1.5 million or 100 accounts with a gross of only $200k
But then someone comes and underbids that ONE account you have for 1.5 millions and you gross $0 and are out of business. If someone underbids ONE of the 100 accounts you still make $199k. I would personally rather make $200k with 100 accounts and be safe then 1.5 millions on ONE account, might just be me though.

landscaper22
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
But then someone comes and underbids that ONE account you have for 1.5 millions and you gross $0 and are out of business. If someone underbids ONE of the 100 accounts you still make $199k. I would personally rather make $200k with 100 accounts and be safe then 1.5 millions on ONE account, might just be me though.

Oh, I don't disagree. I am just proving a point that how many accounts you have means very little. Two companies can have the same amount of customers and one could gross say $100k and the other may gross a million because of the size of the accounts. And the company I was talking about that services where my father works is the largest company in the area. They have all the huge accounts around here. But that one is by far the largest they service I do believe.

landscaper22
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Which to be fair, the person that stated this thread did also ask how many hours it takes to complete the jobs each week.

417lawncare
02-02-2012, 07:37 PM
I dont think the person who started this thread said anything about money. He was just trying to figure out the answer to his question so for someone to say its irrelevent is wrong because its relevent to the person starting the thread. 25 accounts one and a half to two days.

Five Points
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I have 65 accounts, I too think its relevent. I would say as the number of accounts increases so does the variance in size. Likely someone with six accounts, are probably smaller. as the business accounts grow so does the scope and size of jobs. I have a little old lady that was one of my first customers that helped me get going she is 25 bucks and i told her ill never put it up. Then i have one thats 500 a crack as well as a bunch that r over 100 a cut. When anybody asks me I just tell them 65 properties of all sizes.

Thats my story and Im stickin to it.

GARDENGATE
02-03-2012, 04:09 AM

so true :weightlifter:

KS_Grasscutter
02-03-2012, 05:13 AM
In the middle of last season I was up to 45 or so small to large residentials, with average size around 9k sf. Many were EOW, and I was able to do the mowing in 3 7ish hour days or 4 short days. I lost a few of them, a few due to not paying, as well as selling houses, deaths, and a few the lawns simply died during our drought. Hoping to start with 30 weekly and just a few EOW lawns from last year as well as hopefully line up 20 to 30 new ones this spring. Would like to end up mowing 4 10 or 11 hour days, then fert/spray 2 days. Part of the spraying will be subcontract work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jason
02-03-2012, 10:07 AM
We mow around 70-75 accounts a week. It takes about 30-35 hours. That's with one part time helper at about 25hrs. There mostly 2 acres and smaller.

Adam12
02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
I think its is a mix, if you have one account and lose it your now out of business. also with many accounts means more opportunity for more work, hedges, mulching etc.

landscaper22
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I think its is a mix, if you have one account and lose it your now out of business. also with many accounts means more opportunity for more work, hedges, mulching etc.

I am sorry I made that statement. I don't have one account. I don't know of anyone that does either. I was just saying that the number of accounts can be deceiving as to the size of your business. Because one large account can be equal to 100 small accounts as far as income. But, I had gotten caught up in the whole thread without fully reading the first post. The number of accounts is relevant if you put it in perspective with the amount of time it takes you to service the accounts. However the number of accounts in and of itself means very little.

HLM HustlerZ
02-04-2012, 05:10 AM
My business has 25 Residential maintenance accounts and 2 large Commercial contracts that keep 2 guys busy 5 days/wk. 40-45 hours during March-September. Our properties are in rural areas and include a lot of wide open mowing..looking to reach more residential customers this year!

themaintenanceman
02-04-2012, 07:27 AM

orange is right!!! dont look for helpers or workers.. if they dont take enough initiative to find work then you probably will share it with him. most of the time..... if you find some help ask during small talk what there parents/caregivers do for a living......blue colar kids have a better work ethic and take more pride in there work

Flex-Deck
02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
We mow 230 acres a week, 4 mowers with and extra one for backup - takes 4 days at . Travel time is about 1/3 of the time, mowing is 2/3 of the time.

DoyleBrosLawnCare
02-26-2012, 12:33 AM
I have 57 residential accounts and 1 commercial accounts going into this season. How does everyone get more commercial accounts? I would like to have some; however, it seems like a hassle to get them.

Guzzo856
02-26-2012, 01:08 AM
13 apartment complexes and 30 res and a few other commercial

360ci
02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
I have four commercial accounts and five residential. All cutting area is under one acre.

2brothersyardcare
02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
IMO, the size of an account does matter. If you could put a tight route of postage stamp lawns together, your margin would be much better than the same time spent on large accounts. That's just me.

i have about 95 postage stamps about 10 small commercials 2 big ones and about 5 big res accounts takes 2 12 hour days with 3 guys and me and my partner help out on the secant day with the commercials. this year were looking to add another day

Salcido Lawn
02-26-2012, 12:18 PM
We have about 140 properties and it is about 400 man hours a week, in the summer, to service them. (They are mostly large commercial properties.) We make about $600,000 a year from them.
Posted via Mobile Device