PDA

View Full Version : magna matic discount

docjones
01-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Not to sound ungrateful to the 10% discount by Magna Matic but you can actually buy the stuff cheaper through dealers like Russo or McHenry on ebay. Russo equipment in Illinois sells the Mag 9000 for $595 and the 1000 balancer for $139. 24 bucks in shipping. Compare that to $679 and $199 minus 10% plus closer to 40 bucks shipping for those two items directly from MagnaMatic. Just FYI. Again not to bash MagnaMatic but sheesh you'd think they could do a little better than 10%, right?

Jason Rose
01-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Many companies do this so they don't undercut their distributors. One would "assume" that you could get the best deal buying direct from the factory, but if they have a dealer network you are going to pay MSRP direct from the factory when the dealers buy them for maybe 25% less and mark them up 15% to 20%.

One example I know well is Trimmer Trap. There's no dealers in my area so I bought directly from them. Several years later Their racks became available online from various suppliers and the prices were a LOT less than what I had paid!

docjones
01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

docjones
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Really good point Jason! Hadn't thought about the undercutting of dealers. Thanks for the reply post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Many companies do this so they don't undercut their distributors. One would "assume" that you could get the best deal buying direct from the factory, but if they have a dealer network you are going to pay MSRP direct from the factory when the dealers buy them for maybe 25% less and mark them up 15% to 20%.

One example I know well is Trimmer Trap. There's no dealers in my area so I bought directly from them. Several years later Their racks became available online from various suppliers and the prices were a LOT less than what I had paid!

I agree with this post, and would add that many manufacturer's aren't set up to efficiently distribute their own products directly to customers at the most reasonable price like their distributors themselves are.

Hawkshot99
01-30-2012, 01:49 PM

My main job is in the ski retail buissness. Many of the manufactures have it so you can buy from them off of thir website. But the prices are only at retail, to protect their distributers. Also, if you do buy off of the main page most of the companies dont actully sell it to the customer.

There is a program called shop-a-tron that we use. Basically when someone buys something off of the ski companies site, they give the sale to the retail location that is closest to the purchaser's location.

The companies also go and make a MAP(Minimum Advertised Price) and that is the cheapest that a place can advertise a item for, before a certail date when sales are allowed. This is to protect the brick and mortar stores from a online warehouse with very little overhead from selling at super discounted rates online.

weeze
01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
i'd buy it off ebay. go with the cheapest price. either way you are getting the same product so might as well pay less.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 06:53 AM
i'd buy it off ebay. go with the cheapest price. either way you are getting the same product so might as well pay less.

I tend to agree, but I think there really needs to be a balance - how much are you saving, what kind of relationship do you have with your dealer, if whatever you buy needs to be serviced even if it is under warranty who can you bring it to.

I buy almost everything from my dealer that is mechanical - the services is always great - there are 3 dealers in my area - I have heard horror stories from guys about mine as well as the other two - all from guys who buy everything at tractor supply, lowes or Home Depot or on line.

weeze
01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
there are no magna-matic dealers here. :laugh:

docjones
01-31-2012, 12:52 PM

Here either

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I looked on ebay, it didn't say if it came with the balancer or not, I think the balancer is $139. So if it does that is way cheaper $885 versus $595:)