PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol vent

mowerman90
01-30-2012, 05:34 PM
I just got an email from Husqvarna asking me to take the "Ethanol Challenge". Some sort of contest where you win equipment tied with educational videos of things you should know about Ethanol and how it isn't good for hand held equipment. I agree it's not good for our handhelds. I've had more than one fuel line deteriorate from using gas with ethanol. But, here's my gripe, instead of all the handheld manufacturers whining and blaming all their woes on Ethanol Gas why don't they make their equipment with Ethanol resistant parts? Apparently cars don't have this problem, at least not to the extent that handhelds do.
I mean, ethanol has been around for almost 3 decades. I remember trying some in our families 79 Plymouth. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's here to stay, like it or not, so why not adjust to it and make your equipment compatible with it?

Valk
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Instead of waiting for your manufacturer to do something, be proactive.
GO ETHANOL~FREE! If you can...

http://pure-gas.org/

Lower octane regular unleaded fuel seems to run fine in my mowers...and midgrade or premium grade for my mixed gas. Voila! No more ethanol issues.

mowerman90
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
That's a great idea VALK but I'm not going to drive 10 miles off of my route to buy non-ethanol gas. Time is money.

orangemower
01-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Instead of waiting for your manufacturer to do something, be proactive.
GO ETHANOL~FREE! If you can...

http://pure-gas.org/

Lower octane regular unleaded fuel seems to run fine in my mowers...and midgrade or premium grade for my mixed gas. Voila! No more ethanol issues.

That would be great if there was a place I could drive to without burning a tank of gas to get there.

Valk
01-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Plan ahead to fix your equipment due to ethanol issues...or, buy in bulk somehow. Just an idea...

supercuts
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
a friend had a 69' GTO sitting in his garage wth a full tank of leaded gas since 1980 and didnt know how to get rid of the gas. i took it, dumped a tiny bit out, tried lighting it on fire......sure enough it lit. my dumb a$$ took 20 gallons of perfect fuel and dumped it through the mowers in a few days. i should have saved it for handhelds

Richard Martin
01-30-2012, 07:45 PM
blaming all their woes on Ethanol Gas why don't they make their equipment with Ethanol resistant parts? Apparently cars don't have this problem, at least not to the extent that handhelds do.
I mean, ethanol has been around for almost 3 decades. I remember trying some in our families 79 Plymouth. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's here to stay, like it or not, so why not adjust to it and make your equipment compatible with it?

It really isn't as simple as making them with Ethanol resisitant parts. Most of the problems that everyone has is with the rubber fuel lines. Believe it or not, most of them already are resistant to a degree. Automobiles don't have these problems because they don't operate in a 360° 3-D enviroment. All of the fuel lines, including those inside the tank can be made of vinyl or steel. With trimmers, edgers and hedge trimmers you can't do that. The fuel pickup has to be able to move all over the tank if you want to operate it. The only way to do that cheaply is to make the pickup tube out of rubber hose.

Mowers can be made with either steel or vinyl fuel lines. I'm switching all of my mowers over to vinyl as the time comes to replace the rubber hoses. The vinyl is good for 20+ years.

weeze
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM
i've been using ethanol gas in all my stuff and never had any issues. my honda trimmer is almost 8years old and i even used 87 octane in it the whole time. nothing wrong with the fuel lines at all. in my mix for my blower i use 89 octane because that's what stihl says to use. i always use 87 octane in my truck, mowers, and trimmer.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-30-2012, 10:48 PM
I just got an email from Husqvarna asking me to take the "Ethanol Challenge". Some sort of contest where you win equipment tied with educational videos of things you should know about Ethanol and how it isn't good for hand held equipment. I agree it's not good for our handhelds. I've had more than one fuel line deteriorate from using gas with ethanol. But, here's my gripe, instead of all the handheld manufacturers whining and blaming all their woes on Ethanol Gas why don't they make their equipment with Ethanol resistant parts? Apparently cars don't have this problem, at least not to the extent that handhelds do.

A

Freakin'

MEN

If Husky keeps acting like that, they will get left in the dust real fast.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 06:28 AM
i've been using ethanol gas in all my stuff and never had any issues. my honda trimmer is almost 8years old and i even used 87 octane in it the whole time. nothing wrong with the fuel lines at all. in my mix for my blower i use 89 octane because that's what stihl says to use. i always use 87 octane in my truck, mowers, and trimmer.

hmm, I use 87 in everything, and have not had any troubles with anything.

rob7233
01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
That's a great idea VALK but I'm not going to drive 10 miles off of my route to buy non-ethanol gas. Time is money.

So is time at the repair shop! Between down time, parts and labor, not to mention hassle and potential customer displeasure, 10 miles out of the way is a bargain! Help yourself and buy multiple large fuel cans (5 gallons+ size) and fill them all up at the same time. Since water follows alcohol, non ethanol fuel has a much longer period before it goes bad than E-10. Or you can just add some good fuel preservative at the time of fill up for no worries at all.

mykayel
01-31-2012, 08:39 AM
I've always wondered about using 87 octane in handhelds vs 89. Ethanol causes more problems the older it is. And 89 is probably th least fresh and 87 is probably the freshest. Is you just switch to 87 that might solve most of the fuel issues.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
I've always wondered about using 87 octane in handhelds vs 89. Ethanol causes more problems the older it is. And 89 is probably th least fresh and 87 is probably the freshest. Is you just switch to 87 that might solve most of the fuel issues.

hmm you know, I was going to say something about the freshness since almost everyone I see pumpiing gas seems to be getting the 87. But then I wonder if the octane is enhanced on its way to the pump or are the actually seperate tanks, I am thinking of the old Sunoco stations where you dialed in the octane of the gas you wanted.

mykayel
01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
I don't know if its true or not, but someone told me that gas stations just have two tanks, one that is 87 and on ethat is 91 (or 93). And to get 89 they just mix the two. So depnding upon how must of 89 you are buying, that first half gallon or gallon might be what was left in the line of the last grade that was choosen. So you might not be getting 89 anyway and might be closer to 87.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't know if its true or not, but someone told me that gas stations just have two tanks, one that is 87 and on ethat is 91 (or 93). And to get 89 they just mix the two. So depnding upon how must of 89 you are buying, that first half gallon or gallon might be what was left in the line of the last grade that was choosen. So you might not be getting 89 anyway and might be closer to 87.

If you are right, then that also means that 89 or 93 are probably older gas

orangemower
01-31-2012, 09:52 AM

This is not true. Next time you go to the gas station, look for the filler caps and you'll see 3 different color (in most cases) lids where they drop the fuel.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
You can only get 10% eth gas here, except at rare stations here and there sell petro gas only. Its not even worth pondering to me, my stuff all runs fine on the gas from the station down the street.

Valk
01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
DA, the link I posted on post #2 lists 2 stations in Rochester that sell ethanol-free gas...though only in premium grade. My guess is that 2-strokes are more susceptible to ethanol issues...and it seems most manufacturers recommend at least 89 octane for mix gas.