PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Madaway Overseeder Worth the Money$?$?

keepoffthegrass
01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Im buying an overseeder before spring and would like to know just how much better the $6000 Ryan Maddaway overseeder is than the conventional $1500-$2000 overseeders? :hammerhead:

I see its got some fancy tubes and stuff, bigger motor. Any opinions from anyone with experience.

Thanks!

turfcobob
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Im buying an overseeder before spring and would like to know just how much better the $6000 Ryan Maddaway overseeder is than the conventional $1500-$2000 overseeders? :hammerhead:

I see its got some fancy tubes and stuff, bigger motor. Any opinions from anyone with experience.

Thanks!

I can tell you right now that the mataway is a beast to operate and eats blades. Will not do hills worth a hoot unless you are very, very strong. The front wheel drive is basically good on cement where you can push the others easily. Bottom line is the unit was designed for golf course greens and we tried to change it to fit home lawns in the 80s. At that time it was pretty good as it was about all that was out there. Now you have some really good choices for much less money that will do an equal or better job.

grassman177
01-31-2012, 08:39 PM
We own the classen version og this and it will work ur ass and the seed tubetips clog and stop laying seed.

When it works right, does a great job.

Any suggestions bob?
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Better off with the Turfco overseeder then, right:)

Rick13
02-01-2012, 01:19 AM
I bought the BillyGoat Dual Hydro Overseeder last Fall. It does a great job! In fact, BillyGoat (the company) was surprised at how many orders came in, they couldn't keep up with the demand.

The controls on the OS900SPS is very easy to use. You can use a sulkey, but I never thought it was quick enough to use. A almost quick walk is all you need when operating this unit.

I will need to update My Website in the coming weeks, trying to highlight the Billygoat Overseeder and why you should overseed your lawn.

I paid a little over $3400 for the overseeder....and then next seeder that could perform as well, maybe better would be in the $6000.00 range with the same results.

pudgy
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I would look into a Billy Goat or a Lawn Solutions overseeder. (Don't know what Toro will call the overseeder). I used a Ryan overseeder and it's was a pain to use. The Billy Goat was a lot easier because of the bigger wheels in the front. The LS is my favorite with the pistol grip controls but you can't go wrong with either one of these with their hydro engines. Good Luck..

keepoffthegrass
02-20-2012, 07:54 PM
debating now between the economy dethatcher style seeders which I am finding tons of them for around $1000 used. OR the $3400 billy goat self propelled.

How fatiguing is the non-selfpropelled style? If I wanted my guy to pump out 12 lawns a day do I need to go with a self propelled unit?

Thanks

Rick13
02-20-2012, 09:18 PM
The BillyGoat Dual Hydro Slit seeder could do 12 yards a day...but you will have a ton of thatch that will come out of the grass....even when you cut the grass short. The BillyGoat also is easy to control....and it also has the pistol grips too.

I have never tried Lawn Solution Slit Seeder...but I do use and like their aerators.

With BillyGoat at $3,400.00...its a great machine, easy to work on, and should last you a very long time.

I'm very glad that I purchased the BillyGoat Dual Hydro Slit Seeder.

LawnSolutionsCP
02-21-2012, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HdXw2pca8

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HdXw2pca8)

Exmark and Toro have their units ready and below are the product video from their YouTube site. Might want to look into it.

Available through Exmark or Toro dealers in March.

Similar to the LS machine with several upgrades.

David

grassman177
02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
i really like the looks of your product dave. looks like the easiest to use in in the industry

keepoffthegrass
02-22-2012, 07:46 AM
The BillyGoat Dual Hydro Slit seeder could do 12 yards a day...but you will have a ton of thatch that will come out of the grass....even when you cut the grass short. .

Has this excess thatch ever promoted a problem with customers and them questioning. Im assuming just inform them after the next mowing it will be back to normal? Sorry if its a dumb question, I am new at overseeding. Only ever rented a ryan a few times and sent my guys out with it. Never saw it being used.

keepoffthegrass
02-22-2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HdXw2pca8

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HdXw2pca8)

Exmark and Toro have their units ready and below are the product video from their YouTube site. Might want to look into it.

Available through Exmark or Toro dealers in March.

Similar to the LS machine with several upgrades.

David

If your aloud to post a ball park figure on what these machines retail for (any of the 3) that would interest me. THANKS

DUSTYCEDAR
02-22-2012, 08:13 AM
i like my ls seeder i sold my lesco seeder to buy this one much faster and eaiser on the back

Rick13
02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi keepoffthegrass, I have found that you will want the grass cut super short before you seed. If the customer doesn't want to do it, or have you bag their grass short...they should be told before hand. The seed will still go into their ground....but they will have a ton of thatch on top of their lawn. You can let it sit...or once they see what their yard will look like....I have gone back after I've gotten done seeding, used my zero turn to bag the grass-but I leave the deck in the farthest up position to bag only the big clumps of thatch. It will make the yard look ok...and I usually will put a starter fertilizer, tell the customer to water, and wait two weeks before they cut it next. So that is why I do a quick clean up. Hope this helps you.

And I think Lawn Solutions (which I've never used) and Billy Goat's Self Propelled Overseeder OS900SPS (weird model number name though) which I own are both great machines. So it might come down to price and service in your area.