PDA

View Full Version : What type mower is best?

clayslandscape
01-30-2012, 11:03 PM
I am looking at purchasing a mower.

I have several commercial accounts that have islands that my ZTR will not go. What type mower should I get? Walk behind or Stander?

I have been looking very seriously at a 40" Grandstand by Toro. What do you think?

weeze
01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
how big are the islands? i would use a 21" if they are small.

clayslandscape
01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
They are big enough that it takes a substantial more amount of time with the 21" I use now. That's why I want to upgrade.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
01-30-2012, 11:41 PM
maybe a 36" stander or walkbehind would be best.

clayslandscape
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Ok, what would be the best thing for getting over the curbs?
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
01-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Everybody around here uses their ZTR's on the islands, just jump the curb.

weeze
01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
a walkbehind would probably be easier but it's possible with a stander as well. i think on a stander you have to back over the curb but with a walkbehind you can just pop a wheelie and go forwards over a curb. about how big are the islands? if they can be done in like 4-5 passes or less then i'd go with a walkbehind but if it's like 6-10 passes i'd get a stander. if some are smaller you could walk those and use a sulky on the bigger ones if you got a walkbehind. it's hard to say not knowing what the islands look like.

cpllawncare
01-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I have taken my stander over curbs before but it seems awful hard on it even going backwards, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 07:32 AM
They are big enough that it takes a substantial more amount of time with the 21" I use now. That's why I want to upgrade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe it would be worth taking a look at the new 30" from toro - I know its not really commercial grade, but it will be almost 50% more productive than a 21 so you should come close to cutting your time in half, if weights 150 lbs and I think a lot easier to get over curbs. It probably a lot less than 1/4 the price.

Jimslawncareservice
01-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I saw a company in the cities. Can't remember which one, but it was near the red robin. Well any way they had ramps made for there exmarks and Deeres. I can't remember which was which, but one had a holder in the back and the other on the side for the ramp when not in use. When going from island to island or when needed to jump curbs often, the operator would just lay the ramp by his feet. Seemed to work well.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-31-2012, 09:46 AM
I saw a company in the cities. Can't remember which one, but it was near the red robin. Well any way they had ramps made for there exmarks and Deeres. I can't remember which was which, but one had a holder in the back and the other on the side for the ramp when not in use. When going from island to island or when needed to jump curbs often, the operator would just lay the ramp by his feet. Seemed to work well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with this. You risk damage to the mower just jumping it. This way it will save you costly repairs or damage. Besides that, you risk gouging or chipping the concrete if you don't use something.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 09:51 AM
I agree with this. You risk damage to the mower just jumping it. This way it will save you costly repairs or damage. Besides that, you risk gouging or chipping the concrete if you don't use something.

I'm thinking, if you go to Home Depot and buy a 2'x2' x 1/2 handy panel and then go to the hardware dept for a small piece of angle iron bolt the two together and for under $10 you have a two foot wide ramp

clayslandscape
01-31-2012, 09:52 AM
I have taken my stander over curbs before but it seems awful hard on it even going backwards, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

What kind of stander do you own? How do you like it?

orangemower
01-31-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm thinking, if you go to Home Depot and buy a 2'x2' x 1/2 handy panel and then go to the hardware dept for a small piece of angle iron bolt the two together and for under $10 you have a two foot wide ramp

That would get heavy after a bunch of times moving it around. I'd use a couple 4x4's and a couple 2x4's cut to a foot wide. It will depend on what mower he plans on using as well.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 10:11 AM
That would get heavy after a bunch of times moving it around. I'd use a couple 4x4's and a couple 2x4's cut to a foot wide. It will depend on what mower he plans on using as well.

a handy panel is only 1/2 plywood, but I guess the 4x4 are easy to toss and kick into place which makes it easier! Good idea. I have a sunken small piece of grass that I have to do, I will try that instead.

orangemower
01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Exactly Ralph. A 4x4 with a 2x4 in front of it and it will drive right up over it. To transport them, just stick them on the area you put your feet on the mower. On a walk behind or stander, you'll have to get a little more creative on where to put them.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Exactly Ralph. A 4x4 with a 2x4 in front of it and it will drive right up over it. To transport them, just stick them on the area you put your feet on the mower. On a walk behind or stander, you'll have to get a little more creative on where to put them.

When i think of how many times I have carried my stupid little ramp into the yard:hammerhead:

orangemower
01-31-2012, 11:57 AM
When i think of how many times I have carried my stupid little ramp into the yard:hammerhead:

No need to beat yourself over the head about it. hahahaha

Just go to a construction site and grab a few pieces of scrap wood laying around that will work. Or you might already have some.

I watched a Mexican drive a ztr over a curb one time. He was banging the crap out of it trying to get the back tires up over it. It was a fairly tall curb. I sat there and watched him try 4-5 times before it actually went up over it. Mean while he just beat the crap out of it. And to think he's probably doing it each week like that is crazy.

Landrus2
01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
you can try this one :laugh::laugh:

orangemower
01-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Don't laugh, there's people out there that have goats to clear fields and get paid to do it!

weeze
01-31-2012, 01:26 PM
it depends on the mower you buy. my mower can clear curbs no problems even going forwards. some mowers have higher clearances than others. watch video at the 6:18 mark.

44Vodxjah6I&list=FLCwVBN_IEXm4680w3jyY6KQ&index=27&feature=plpp_video

clayslandscape
01-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Anymore suggestions?

watsmi57
01-31-2012, 10:30 PM
get a WB. they can go places a stander can't. a WB is THE most versatile mower - period. get some wheels behind it. HYDRO only. no gear crap

jumping curbs on standers OR ztr's is not good :hammerhead:

CUSTOMLAWN10
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I have been using Wright Standers from day one they came out. If you go with a stander, pay the extra money and buy a Wright. I added a bagger to my Stader Z this year and it is the best decision I made equipment wise this year.

Make sure you pay attention to body placement over the back axle when you look. Wright's center of gravity is on top of the back wheels and all the rest are behind. Because of this, they have to counter weight the front of the machine making it agreat deal heavier.

One more bit of advise. Get a gator flap for the mower. It is great for grinding in fall for clean ups and it limits the amount of grass that blows out oft he shoot lowering blow time.

RTR Landscaping
02-01-2012, 10:29 PM
You might look at a Walker. A lot of the LCO's that do fast food resturants use them in this area. The 42" deck is really popular. I use Scags for my business and I know the 36" V-Ride is on sale at fleet prices for only one.

Aaronnc
02-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Two of these would work:
http://www.discountramps.com/rubber-curb-ramps.htm

jiggz
02-02-2012, 02:27 AM
belt drive pistol grip w/b all the way..the reason i say pistol grips is because it gives you ALOT more control on where you can put the mower and things you can literally lift it over by popping up the front and lifting the back by the grips especially if its a 32 or 36.. depending on the size of the islands even a 48.. i have no problem strong arming my 48.. not that you mentioned this but its alot more versatile then a stander.. you can run a w/b on some pretty intense slopes that i would never take a stander..

if you can work on stuff and your comfortable with used equpt.. i would look for some older Exmark w/b from the 90's.. the decks are nice and they cut very well.. and they weigh nothing!! my old 32 cant be more then 300 and some lbs.. I move that thing like its a push mower.. thats my island jumper.. plus whats the worst that could die on it 500$ engine and a 300$ tranny

nothing wrong with a stander I just think most islands are to small to use one to its potential..plus in real small areas you can turn a w/b alot faster then a stander