PDA

View Full Version : Snapper pro 21'

Pro-turf lawn
01-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Does anyone use or have experience with the snapper pro 21' commercial walk behind? I saw a few when I took my trimmers in for service and they look pretty good.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 06:11 AM
Does anyone use or have experience with the snapper pro 21' commercial walk behind? I saw a few when I took my trimmers in for service and they look pretty good.

I have the 21 Ferris, which is the same mower. After two season with it I will tell you the deck is really too light weight, it should be 12g instead of 14. I had the hi vac model - stay away from wet or tall grass if you are bagging, if you are not bagging go slow.

Pro-turf lawn
01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks Ralph, I also was looking at the hivac model. I noticed that there was two wing nuts that connect the bagger to the deck, if you wanted to take that off so it would side discharge could you?

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks Ralph, I also was looking at the hivac model. I noticed that there was two wing nuts that connect the bagger to the deck, if you wanted to take that off so it would side discharge could you?

Side discharging was no so much of a problem, but once I got jammed up while bagging and the blade dug itself into the deck I had to grind off some parts of the deck because it flexes on bumpy lawns and the blade does a tick tick on the deck.

So bottom line I guess is if you are mainly going to be side discharging it works great a really nice cut, I don't think I have seen another 21 cut as nice. And always always run at full throttle.

Pro-turf lawn
01-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks, is there one that you have found to be the best (I am currently looking tor one)

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks, is there one that you have found to be the best (I am currently looking tor one)

I have kept my eye open for one of the hondas, but I can't seem to find anyone using one so, I am kind of at a loss sorry.

ralph02813
01-31-2012, 08:02 AM

check this out: http://toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/hi%20vac/index.html
what caught my eye is the aluminum deck.

billpiper
01-31-2012, 08:02 AM

Bought a used 21" Snapper Pro Hi-vac last year. It's been a great machine. Good cut. We bagged and mulched with it. Very happy.
Also have had a Honda HRX 214 for 7 years. Also a great mower. Ourrs is ready for the grave yard at this point, but it always cut great mulched very fine, and never had to repair it.

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-01-2012, 12:51 AM
dont waste your money. there only good for one thing with the snapper...discharging. dont get me wrong there a beast at bagging when the grass isnt a week old, wet or think. dont even waste your money buying the mulching plug, it clogs under the deck and kills the engine. if you want a 21 that you wont waste money and wont slow you down look no further than the toro 21 in heavy duty. you cant discharge but trust me you wont have to. i have cut st aug that was a foot tall with my toro. just raise the deck an inch higher than what you want the final height at and cut away. it will mulch it shreds and wont kill or clog. i will never buy a snapper again. i have the same snapper your talking about and its sitting in the shed. i will be putting it on my trailer this year just for backup because im not buying another 1300 dollar toro just for backup when my 21 i have now has only left me hangin once and that was when the cable popped. the toro is also built alot better. just try to pick it up and try to pick up the snapper you'll see the different. also look at the thickness of the snapper deck compared to the toro. the only shitty design i see is there is a little blade stabilizer under the crank case that will bend easily if you hit sticks that are thick or **** in the grass. dont let that deter you from getting it tho, you wont be disappointed just watch what you cut and be careful. ooo and as far as bagging, its a beast it dosent clog in week old grass and it does an awesome job. and mulching, well dude you can mulch 2 week old grass and you will have a bagged look. the only time i break the bag out is when i get a yard that is to tall or full of leaves. spend the money and get a mower that wont slow you down but make you money. also look around, most of your successful cutter dont have snapper they have 3 or 4 toros. i have the kawisiki engine. dont get the honda. its more expensive and has less hp and torque. thats like the most important thing. also the honda engine dosent give you the 1 gallon tank. just do some research on here youll find most people like the toro over the snapper

Merkava_4
02-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Does anyone use or have experience with the snapper pro 21' commercial walk behind?

I've used the HI-VAC model. For cutting tall fescue and sucking up leaves they are superb.

ralph02813
02-01-2012, 07:23 AM
dont waste your money. there only good for one thing with the snapper...discharging. dont get me wrong there a beast at bagging when the grass isnt a week old, wet or think. dont even waste your money buying the mulching plug, it clogs under the deck and kills the engine. if you want a 21 that you wont waste money and wont slow you down look no further than the toro 21 in heavy duty. you cant discharge but trust me you wont have to. i have cut st aug that was a foot tall with my toro. just raise the deck an inch higher than what you want the final height at and cut away. it will mulch it shreds and wont kill or clog. i will never buy a snapper again. i have the same snapper your talking about and its sitting in the shed. i will be putting it on my trailer this year just for backup because im not buying another 1300 dollar toro just for backup when my 21 i have now has only left me hangin once and that was when the cable popped. the toro is also built alot better. just try to pick it up and try to pick up the snapper you'll see the different. also look at the thickness of the snapper deck compared to the toro. the only shitty design i see is there is a little blade stabilizer under the crank case that will bend easily if you hit sticks that are thick or **** in the grass. dont let that deter you from getting it tho, you wont be disappointed just watch what you cut and be careful. ooo and as far as bagging, its a beast it dosent clog in week old grass and it does an awesome job. and mulching, well dude you can mulch 2 week old grass and you will have a bagged look. the only time i break the bag out is when i get a yard that is to tall or full of leaves. spend the money and get a mower that wont slow you down but make you money. also look around, most of your successful cutter dont have snapper they have 3 or 4 toros. i have the kawisiki engine. dont get the honda. its more expensive and has less hp and torque. thats like the most important thing. also the honda engine dosent give you the 1 gallon tank. just do some research on here youll find most people like the toro over the snapper

Is this the toro that you have?

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
yes sir the 21in toro heavy duty

jiggz
02-02-2012, 01:50 AM
dont quote me but nothing has changed on a hivac since the 80's except the engine,and mabye the handles .. I read how much people on here liked them and when i saw one on the curb trash night I threw it in the truck took it home bolted a Briggs on it from a Lawnboy and its been great haha.. keep in mind if you want to side discharge you will need to get a discharge chute.. simply taking off the bagging collar will result in a face full of rocks and grass cause the discharge actually cuts into the top of the deck as well as the side..Like others have said it bags really well as long as the grass isnt too tall.. take of lush spring growth even at a weeks time.. it can be clog city

just throwing this out there I have been hearing some real nice things about the new exmark 21s..I would also take a look at them.. I havent yet but will be doing so

jiggz
02-02-2012, 02:07 AM
I shall be checking out the Toro HD aswell Thank you Chief!!

I was also going to consider them.. Toro has two commercial lines now..HD and regular commercial, the regular used the old Lawnboy commercial decks.. I have those and absolutely LOVED em!! If Toro considered the HD to be a step above.. Ill be all over them..