PDA

View Full Version : how many have full time job?

cubsfan1
01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Interested in how many of you have a full time job and and have a lawn business. I myself have a full time job and have my landscaping business. This is going to be my forth season and was wondering how much you guys take on with your business. I am liscenced and insured and just trying to figure out how big I can grow this thing before it would be to much to have both jobs. It's just myself and one other person that I have helping out. What kind of money are you guys making with your business?
Posted via Mobile Device

douglee25
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a full time job and this is my first year starting my business back up since I wound things down several years ago. I'm excited to see what the future brings. I just landed my first large landscaping job of the season this past weekend. I really want to score weekly accounts right now so I can have steadier cash flow. My plan is to start soliciting again in March. My business also has a marine division. The marine side will consist of marine based mechanical/electrical repairs, spring launch and winterizing, shrink wrapping, and I also have a wholesale account to sell marine parts and accessories. I still need to develop more of the marine side of the business in the next few months. The landscaping side is setup and ready to go. I just need to get the customer base at this point. Since I work on average of 50 hours/week with my full time job, I'm hoping to keep my other business limited to 1.5 - 2 days/week. I have no idea how things will go since it's all just a 'plan' at this point. I will keep you posted.

Doug

CHRIS92789
01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Sorry not trying to hijack but douglee where about in pa are you i need to get my boat shrink wrapped!

douglee25
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm North of Philadelphia approximately 30 Mins.

How about you?

Doug
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Away
01-31-2012, 04:42 PM
I have a full time job as well as my business. I run this business with my wife and brother as well as work as a full-time sworn Parole Officer. I take care of the bidding and I work in the field on one of my three days off a week. My wife also works full time in HR. So she does the HR stuff as well as helps on bids.:weightlifter:

lawnspecialties
01-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Full time paid firefighter here. Lots of us here on Lawnsite. Probably one of the best full-time jobs you could have if you also have a lawn maintenance business.

I've been doing this 12 years now and if I had to, I could leave my full-time job and go 100% lawn maintenance. But when you have a job with a guaranteed paycheck, medical benefits, and a retirement, that's hard to pass up.

For what its worth, I'd still rather be riding a mower versus a fire truck. :usflag:

mowerbrad
01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
I work enough outside of landscaping that I might as well have a full time job. I take 13 credits at a University (considered full time status), I work about 12 hours a week as a part-time firefighter and work part-time as a paramedic about 24 hours a week. So I spend about 36 hours a week as a firefighter or paramedic and go to school full time, all on top of mowing. I mow just about 20 accounts each week. My schedule gets to be quite full sometimes, especially when I work night shifts.

As much as I love fire/ems, I just can't see myself getting out of lawn care/landscaping.

Rick13
01-31-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm new to Lawnsite....but I've been reading the many helpful posts for a few years. I to have a full time job in Aerospace where I work 2nd shift...so since the wife (is at work) and boys (are in school), I might as well work and help out other people who want to have a nice looking yard. I try to concentrate on "aeration" but I have a few yards that I cut on a weekly.

Moose's Mowing
01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Subscribed.....

I'm in PA and I'm starting out this spring. I worked in construction management for a few years then became a teacher. I was tired of the instability of the construction market and thought teaching would be much more secure. I taught 2 years and was laid off. I was lucky enough to find another teaching job, but I sure miss the paychecks from the construction industry. I decided to start up a mowing service last summer. It was just an idea last year, but I've been doing lots of homework and getting my shet together. I picked up a 6x12 single axle open trailer, then picked up a used Scag wildcat. I'm going to getting a used Scag walk behind w/velke this saturday and I have a quote on Stihl hand helds from the local dealer. All that's left to do is to get some work. I've got flyers printed up and they're in their way to me as we speak. I have a few shirts ordered along with truck magnetic signs. I just got my gen liability set up yesterday and once I have that, I can get my PA contractors number.

I'm shooting for 15-20 weekly accounts which I should be easily able to do over a weekend. My only concern is if we get any wet weather over the weekend, I'm screwed. it's too late by the time I get home from school to mow after work. So I'm trying to talk a friend of my father's to sub contract for me if I get behind. It's a huge gamble, but I really love mowing and working outside and I really need the extra little bit of cash. I'm hoping to generate about 10k in my first year. That will pay for my equipment and leave a few thousand for me. On'ce I get all my equipment, I'll have less than 6500 invested. I just hope this works out, I can't wait till spring.

mowerman41
01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerman41
01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
I work full time as a corrections officer and have about 26 mowing accounts. My wife takes care of all the books and when I get busy she is out there right next to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pennington Lawncare
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
I've been a lineman with my local power company for 20+ years and started mowing in 07 or 08. I have 1 helper that trims and blows and I have around 20 accounts. I'm beginning to think that it's not worth mowing for the income I net. My wife does the books and I may be firing some customers this year and only keeping the good ones with good yards.

cubsfan1
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Pennington lawncare you must not be charging enough I'm guessing, because I maintain about 20 yards and also do small landscaping projects and have a fulltime job and net about 10000 dollars when all is said and done with my lawn business. Also have one helper. I guess you may need to charge more. I am going into my forth year with my business so I think it is definatly worth it for me

Wecutgrass
01-31-2012, 11:11 PM
im a full time student and i maintain 34 of my weekly accounts and 26 of my friends who is away at college. I have a helper who comes with me when i have a lot of work, i worked out my school schedule so I'm off on tuesday and thursdays so i cut the lawns on those days and then after school on monday and friday. I'm at the first lawn at 7 and I'm pulling in the driveway as it gets dark, its a lot of work but when you love cutting grass its not bad.

gdguth
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Subscribed.....

I'm in PA and I'm starting out this spring. I worked in construction management for a few years then became a teacher. I was tired of the instability of the construction market and thought teaching would be much more secure. I taught 2 years and was laid off. I was lucky enough to find another teaching job, but I sure miss the paychecks from the construction industry. I decided to start up a mowing service last summer. It was just an idea last year, but I've been doing lots of homework and getting my shet together. I picked up a 6x12 single axle open trailer, then picked up a used Scag wildcat. I'm going to getting a used Scag walk behind w/velke this saturday and I have a quote on Stihl hand helds from the local dealer. All that's left to do is to get some work. I've got flyers printed up and they're in their way to me as we speak. I have a few shirts ordered along with truck magnetic signs. I just got my gen liability set up yesterday and once I have that, I can get my PA contractors number.

I'm shooting for 15-20 weekly accounts which I should be easily able to do over a weekend. My only concern is if we get any wet weather over the weekend, I'm screwed. it's too late by the time I get home from school to mow after work. So I'm trying to talk a friend of my father's to sub contract for me if I get behind. It's a huge gamble, but I really love mowing and working outside and I really need the extra little bit of cash. I'm hoping to generate about 10k in my first year. That will pay for my equipment and leave a few thousand for me. On'ce I get all my equipment, I'll have less than 6500 invested. I just hope this works out, I can't wait till spring.

I am a teacher as well. You must really get out of school a lot later than we do. I usually start mowing about 3:30 or 4:00 at the latest. I mow Mon-Fri after school. That way when it rains and I get behind, I still have Saturdays to catch up. I love doing it this way because after the day with the kids at school, I can relax by mowing. What do you teach? I teach K-4 Physical Education. Good Luck this spring!!

Moose's Mowing
02-01-2012, 08:22 AM
I teach Middle School Tech Ed (Drafting, Wood Shop, Graphic Design and Electronics, and pretty much whatever else I wanna cover). I love it, but I was recently laid off. My new job is about an hour and 10 minutes away. I get out around 3:20 but it takes a while to get home. I'm hoping I can keep my accounts real close to home and I might be able to pull off after school hours. Once the summer hits, it won't be an issue.

gdguth
02-01-2012, 09:06 PM
That really stinks about the layoff. I still worry about that all the time with all the teacher cuts we have had in our area and the state of Illinois. I really think that if I do ever get let go, I would have to really think twice about even looking for another teaching job. Since things are so bad in the education field right now and especially the horrible state of Illinois.
I am fortunate enough to live about 3 minutes from school and all of my lawns are about with a 5 to 10 minute radius of home/school. That is why i can get started at about 3:30 each day.