PDA

View Full Version : Honda GXV 670 start-up problems

Downunder Bob
01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey fellas I have a GXV 670 that on cold start up it only runs on one cylinder.
When I give it say a bit over half revs the other cylinder will cut in.
Bring the revs back down and its back to one cylinder.
This only happens when its cold.
Any ideas?

Valk
01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Not sure about a Honda, but my Kaw had a similar issue...and it turned out to be an intermittently bad coil for the one cylinder. As soon as I swapped out a coil from my backup machine the problem was solved. I then knew to buy a new coil. Hope this helps.

Downunder Bob
01-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks, I was going to start with a new set of plugs and if that didn't work I would look at the coils.

Valk
02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Yes, I should have suggested trying new plugs first...my bad. Best of luck to you!

Sidenote: My bad coil was a real stinker (literally!) cuz there was little to no rhyme or reason when the symptoms first showed. Originally, I would occasionally smell gas in the exhaust only after mulching huge piles of leaves after the engine was well warmed up then taxed with heavy-duty work.

The next year it progressed into running rough at first cold start - then smoothing out w/in 10-15 min after warming up.

It came from the factory like this and these symptoms were so intermittent that I could never reproduce them as a warranty issue. Runs SMOOOTH as silk now.