PDA

View Full Version : 2010 f-250 diesel white smoke?

ClassicLawnCareInc
01-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Hey,

I've got one of my 2010 F-250's with the 6.4 diesel blowing a ton of white smoke at least once a day, roughly every 40-50 miles. The ford dealer has looked at it 3 times and has done a bunch of test, talked to Ford techs ect and they say nothing is wrong that there isnt anything they can do. The truck has 33000 miles. 4x4 quad cab.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanx

srl28
01-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Injectors?

ClassicLawnCareInc
01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
I was thinking that could be it. They said they hooked up to a computer and checked every single aspect of the engine and drivetrain and everything is within specs from Ford. They said they spent 6 hours working on it today while talking to Ford techs on the phone. They had 2 diesel master techs working on this truck all 3 times Ive taken it in.

My other 3 Ford 6.4 diesels arent doing this at all so I know somethings not right.

moores
01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
I have a 08 F250 with the 6.4 and have the same problems i only have about 40,000 miles on it and sometimes it smokes like a train when i am taking off and then it goes away and comes back. I have taken it to the dealer and a few times and they told me that when the truck is blowing whitre smoke it is in regen mode and it is normal I think they are full of crap cause sometimes it blows out so much smoke that you can't even see the car behind you and they have to stop and pull over or they can't see.

SimonCX
01-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Are you losing coolant or have you checked the turbo oil seal? Sometimes they will blow white smoke during regen but it shouldn't be every 40-50 miles. When injectors go usually the truck will run pretty rough.

ClassicLawnCareInc
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Ill check the coolant and urbo oil seal tomorrow.

professional
01-31-2012, 10:33 PM
I just had this happen last week. Have an 08 250 with 69K, for five days in a row, it would smoke not long after start up. Dealer looked at it and also said everything is ok. They told me that it is more noticeable (white/blue smoke) during colder outside temps, ie. winter. He felt the regen cycles would become more normal once I drove a little longer distance. I've been driving a bunch of short distance runs the past few weeks. He said I probably was not driving the truck for long enough periods to complete the cycle and therefore it was starting over each time I drove the truck. It started last Mon. though Wed. and on Thr. is when the dealer looked at it. It continued on Fri. and Sat., truck sat on Sun. On Mon. it did it again, but I was out on the road for a good bit longer than I have been in a long time. It didn't clean anymore the rest of Mon. and today was a no regen day. :cool2: Maybe that was the trick. The last computer update doesn't have the regen notification lite for the entire cycle anymore, so now you don't know when it has completed. He said too many people complained that they couldn't see their trip odometer when it was on.:cry:

Marek
01-31-2012, 10:41 PM
See you were braggin about how you had never had any problems with them and look what happens.

KrayzKajun
01-31-2012, 11:06 PM
you need to have the dpf checked out, it may be clogged causing the truck to go into regen every 40-50 miles. or take that crap off and let the engine breath!

o yea and the dpf is not covered under warranty!! becuz its considered a filter

ClassicLawnCareInc
02-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Haha yea the funny thing is this is the one truck that doesn't tow anything regularly. My other 3 6.4 diesels tow everyday and havent had any problems. Go figure.

Krazy Kajun, I talked to the Ford service manager today and he said if I was to remove the DPF he would still cover my warranty except for any engine problems. He said that now when there is a major problem with the drivetrain or engine Ford has to send a tech to approve the repair to cover it for warranty so they would see the missing DPF and not cover it if I ever had a problem. So it's not worht it to me.

Im considering trading this one truck in for a new Dodge Ram. Theres a leftover 2011 in my area. Im gonna go look at it this weekend.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Haha yea the funny thing is this is the one truck that doesn't tow anything regularly. My other 3 6.4 diesels tow everyday and havent had any problems. Go figure.

Krazy Kajun, I talked to the Ford service manager today and he said if I was to remove the DPF he would still cover my warranty except for any engine problems. He said that now when there is a major problem with the drivetrain or engine Ford has to send a tech to approve the repair to cover it for warranty so they would see the missing DPF and not cover it if I ever had a problem. So it's not worht it to me.

Im considering trading this one truck in for a new Dodge Ram. Theres a leftover 2011 in my area. Im gonna go look at it this weekend.

The trucks you tow with do not regen as much. The towing allows the engine to run cleaner and need less DPF cleaning cycles. Extra Diesel is injected during a regen and burns the buildup out of the filter. It sounds like too much Diesel is being injected and it is not fully being consumed thus the white smoke.

It's amazing the amount of white smoke an overly rich engine can produce.

Marek
02-01-2012, 09:27 AM
To replace the DPF on that truck is over 3k. Ford is cutting back on all warranty stuff so if there is a way for them to get out of it then they will. The only way I would ever buy another Ford is if they gave me 200 k warranty and a equal loaner everytime it was in the shop ! Other than one week the middle of dec. we have had atleast one truck in for repairs from Aug till now. Last night rushed to pisk up an 02 350 that had the brakes fixed a new axle and upper and lower ball joints again got ten miles up the road and you could feel the brakes dragging on and off so back it went. This is after all new pads and calipers. Guess its the ABS or Hydro booster this time..

ClassicLawnCareInc
02-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Dang, so youve had some bad luck with them. The rich running engine does make sense for why it's showing white smoke.

KrayzKajun
02-01-2012, 10:34 AM
And everyone wonders why I got rid of my 08' F250, bought it brandnew in Oct 08' w/ 13miles on it & traded it in Aug 29th 2011 w/ 32k miles on the clock. During the 3yrs I had the truck the following went out: whole radiator/coolant system (@ 7k miles), hydroboost pump (@ 21k miles), low pressure fuel pump (@ 27k miles), & main seal for oil pump (@ 32k miles). All together truck was in the shop for close to 4 months total in a 3yr time span.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
02-01-2012, 11:32 AM
From what I see these trucks are hit or miss, either the owner has 0 problems or a ton. For me one with white smoke but no other problems and my other 3 6.4's no problems.

Landrus2
02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Water accumlates in the botton of the CAC during a routine run on humid or rainy conditions. It sits there until the motor is put under a heavy load, hard acceleration, down shift to top a mountain, that sort of event. The water is then sucked from the CAC into the turbo and to the cylinders which cause misfires which cause 1, white smoke ,2 a shudder. The whole thing is over quickly and since the water is now gone from the CAC you can not get it to repeat. There are a couple after market CACs available, Banks is one. However, I read either on here or another ford site that the Banks doesn't totally solve the problem, besides it's $1200 or so. For that price I'm willing to live with it. I just stay aware of conditions and look for a place to kick it in the ass when it doesn't matter if it shudders and do so once in a while. That has made the problem a non-factor and I still have my $1300. As far as towing your uhaul don't worry. It's just not a good grocery getter. Hope this helps :waving::waving::waving:

The Yard Barber, Inc.
02-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Should have bought a duramax
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
02-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Should have bought a duramax
Posted via Mobile Device

Those Isuzumax engines aren't bad.

ClassicLawnCareInc
02-02-2012, 12:06 AM
I went and traded the truck tonight so Im not worried about it any more lol. I bought a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab short bed. 6.7 liter cummins diesel 4x4 slt. Dark Green all power options, factory line-x remote start blue tooth ect. Ill post some pics in the photo forum. I'm fairly sure my Ford would have been fine but I didnt like the white smoke it was always putting out so thats why I traded.

Oakleaf landscape
02-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Good choice.

jbell36
02-02-2012, 01:11 AM
i can tell you it was the DPF, plain and simple...these trucks are notorious for that...i was going to a class the other day and saw a vehicle ahead of me blowing white smoke, i knew when i got closer it was going to be a 6.4...this happens to me off and on, and sometimes it gets bad which really sucks because it looks like your $50,000 truck is a pos...i love my truck other than the dpf issue...prob going to delete it anyways

Marek
02-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Let us know what you think . Did you get the HO ? How about the front spring rating ? What type of deal did you get on it ?

KrayzKajun
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Great choice!
Posted via Mobile Device

LibertyFarmLandscaping
02-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I went and traded the truck tonight so Im not worried about it any more lol. I bought a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab short bed. 6.7 liter cummins diesel 4x4 slt. Dark Green all power options, factory line-x remote start blue tooth ect. Ill post some pics in the photo forum. I'm fairly sure my Ford would have been fine but I didnt like the white smoke it was always putting out so thats why I traded.

Your gonna like it!
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanx! I am so far