PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Moose's Mowing
01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm starting up this spring, going legit. Anyhow, I have a 6x12 open trailer, I'm getting some Stihl handhelds and I picked up a used Scag Wildcat with a 52" velocity deck. I was planning to just use the wildcat and be real picky on what customers I'd take on. I'm looking for roughly 20 accounts and I'd be real happy at that number. But, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd be able to make a good return in housing developments in my areas as well as doing some larger 1-2 acre properties. Problem is that I think I might need a walk behind for smaller yards, steep hills etc. I've run walk behinds before for companies I've worked for during college, and I hate them. I think theyre crazy dangerous. But I can't afford a stander. So I'm going to pick up a walk behind. I found a few Scags in my price range. But I can't decide if I should get a 36" or a 48"

I have my eye on one of each, the 48 comes with a velke, the 36 doesn't. I like the idea of a 36 to get me on smaller lots and in to gated areas, but the 48" would be large enough to cover me as a backup mower should my rider go down for some reason. Based on all that, I have no idea what the accounts will look like, I haven't started to advertise yet and I HAVE ZERO CUSTOMERS right now. So I guess I need something that's as versatile as possible and will open up as many avenues as possible. So, what do you guys think I should do? Get the 48" with the velke or pick up the 36 without the velke. they're the exact same price but the 48" machine is a lot closer to where I live, is bigger and can serve as a backup.

weaver
01-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Keep your Scag, a trimmer a blower and get yourself a 21 or 22 in self propelled . Make sure you can get enough work to cover all your cost first. Alot of people's first years out can be a little rough. Just my opinion. I mean unless you got someone backing you with a pile of MONEY!!!!

Moose's Mowing
01-31-2012, 08:55 PM
I have no intentions of getting rid of the Wildcat rider. But around my area, a push mower would be too small, the rider too big (maybe). PA is sorta "hilly" and flatter areas are tough to come by. I used to the be "walk behind" guy that did all the steep as hell stuff that the ZTRs couldn't hit. That's why I'm looking to get a walk behind. Money shouldnt be too big of an issue. Like I said, I'll have around 6500 bucks into everything including the trailer. That's two mowers, a trimmer, edger, blower, rack, and misc stuff for less than the price of a new ZTR.

I hate push mowers. I'm too fat to be working that hard now, I've graduated from that crap. I did that deal back in high school on the weekends for beer/car insurance money. I hate push mowers with a passion. I used to push mow a 3 acre+ property for some rich doctor. He'd pay me 30 bucks a cut, but that's when I had the body of an athlete :weightlifter:

anyway, choices are the 36" or the 48" what you think is more versatile overall without knowing the types of properties I'll end up with?

thanks

weaver
01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Me, i have a 2009 48" next Lazer z Exmark advantage series and a 2011 36 in Exmark viking hydro and it seems like they cover all my properties really well, with my largest one being a little over an acre. So if your asking me i'd say the 36"
Even if your Scag went down for a while the 36 with a sulkey would still be productive until your Scag gets fixed. Just my opinion though..

Florida Gardener
01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
I have no intentions of getting rid of the Wildcat rider. But around my area, a push mower would be too small, the rider too big (maybe). PA is sorta "hilly" and flatter areas are tough to come by. I used to the be "walk behind" guy that did all the steep as hell stuff that the ZTRs couldn't hit. That's why I'm looking to get a walk behind. Money shouldnt be too big of an issue. Like I said, I'll have around 6500 bucks into everything including the trailer. That's two mowers, a trimmer, edger, blower, rack, and misc stuff for less than the price of a new ZTR.

I hate push mowers. I'm too fat to be working that hard now, I've graduated from that crap. I did that deal back in high school on the weekends for beer/car insurance money. I hate push mowers with a passion. I used to push mow a 3 acre+ property for some rich doctor. He'd pay me 30 bucks a cut, but that's when I had the body of an athlete :weightlifter:

anyway, choices are the 36" or the 48" what you think is more versatile overall without knowing the types of properties I'll end up with?

thanks
$30/cut on a 3 acre property push mowed?! I'm hoping that was in 1960.
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL!!! :cool2:

Moose's Mowing
01-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

unfortunately.....it was not. It was a long long time ago in a year they called 1999. :o:o

So while I appreciate your advice on the self propelled....I'll never, ever, ever, not even once use a mower again unless it has at least 2 spark plugs. (please tell me those 15 horse kawi's are 2 cylinders) btw, do those Scag walk behinds come with a cup holder?

weaver
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
unfortunately.....it was not. It was a long long time ago in a year they called 1999. :o:o

We all have to do what what we have to do.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-31-2012, 09:50 PM

So while I appreciate your advice on the self propelled....I'll never, ever, ever, not even once use a mower again unless it has at least 2 spark plugs. (please tell me those 15 horse kawi's are 2 cylinders) btw, do those Scag walk behinds come with a cup holder?

Damn that's ashame, you really were leaving money on the table then worse than you would be now! That was the last year of an economic boom before 911 the next year. Never been the same since.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Since you already have a 52in mower, I'd get a 36. I use a 61" and a 36" mower.

Moose's Mowing
01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Since you already have a 52in mower, I'd get a 36. I use a 61" and a 36" mower.

that's one of the reasons I was favoring a 36" I already have the 52" not much difference between a 48 and a 52. but the 36 will get me in tighter spots.....oh decisions decisions. this is stressful, I thought this mowing thing was fin and relaxing....wtf

watsmi57
01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
52 ztr and 36 wb is a good combo. it's what i run. the 36 gets the places that the 52 can't. steep slopes that you can't ride and tight gates.

I have stopped carrying my 21 push since getting the 36. No need for it anymore. my WB can fit in a 37" gate. with my jungle wheels it cuts grass at 7mph. fast enough to be a backup

Get the 36. HYDRO only. don't waste your time with gears. get something behind it you can ride on too.

Moose's Mowing
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
52 ztr and 36 wb is a good combo. it's what i run. the 36 gets the places that the 52 can't. steep slopes that you can't ride and tight gates.

I have stopped carrying my 21 push since getting the 36. No need for it anymore. my WB can fit in a 37" gate. with my jungle wheels it cuts grass at 7mph. fast enough to be a backup

Get the 36. HYDRO only. don't waste your time with gears. get something behind it you can ride on too.

I think that's some good advice for what I'm trying to do. Why does everyone hate belt drives so much? I had a close call working for a LCO in college. I was on a velke behind an Exmark walk behind. The company, for some reason, didn't want to give me a proper hitch pin to connect it, instead, they had it bolted with a grade 2 bolt. after a summer of running that thing for what seemed like 500,000 miles, that bolt finally wore out and came loose. The safety catches on that damn thing were worn out as well, my feet got stuck in the now disconnected velke, mower still moving forward and my hands still holding on. Somewhere along the line, the little safety catch on the right handle bar caught making the machine take a hard right right and it came all the way back around. It was about to literally run me over since I was stil stuck in the velke and trying to hold on all once. All i could think to do was get the F outta the way. Luckily I did, but the mower ran over the velke, tore up a spindle and I remember seeing a blade whipping down this guys lawn just a boomerang. i couldnt belive it happened and happened that fast, but it did. Needless to say, the guy fired me the next day. but he was a ****** head anyhow. thats the only time i was ever fired, and it truly wasn't my fault....oh well

aside from that, I like the belt drives. they seem simpler and cheaper to fix. I know guys on here say they'll slip but that exmark I ran the piss out of never slipped. I'd take that thing on side hills so steep I swore would tip that thing over, but it never was a huge issue. Besides being so f-ing dangerous, I really like those machines.

I guess my next question is "will they both fit on my 6x12 trailer? I did the math and I think I'll be 1 foot short on trailer. I'm hoping the numbers I looked up were the overall dimensions and the front caster wheels on each machine will sort of weave together once loaded.

watsmi57
01-31-2012, 10:48 PM
most belt drives are not built to pull sulkies or velkes. if you really want to ride behind it get the hydros. they also do not perform as well when it's wet. but yes they are cheaper

when i was in the market for my WB last spring. i found out the 36" Gravely gear drive is a lot wider than the same 36" hydro mower. make sure you check that out.

can't beileve that guy fired you when his crappy machine nearly killed you lol

yes it will all fit. turn the 36 sideways on the front and back the 52 up to it.

take a look at my setup

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=354405&page=7

skip the stander. they rut badly. esp. in the 36 size. always remember. A WB can go places no other mower can go.

Moose's Mowing
02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
thanks for all the advice. I picked up a Scag 36" belt drive today for 1000 bucks. It was used residentially and the clear coat is still on the paint. could maybe use a new muffler, and a once over. The belts slip a little bit, they were bone dry. I didn't look at it too closely but it just seems that the rod needs to be adjusted a bit. otherwise, it's all good. and I sold my boat today so I'm ahead 2000 bucks for the weekend. YEEEEEAH.

can't wait for the grass to grow. I got my business cards and flyers in the mail yesterday too. can't wait for spring.