PDA

View Full Version : Toro New 30 in selfpropelled push mower!

Busybee Lawns
01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Toro has a new line up of push mowers and engines! A 30 in push style mower double blades price around$1000 and weight about 132# and a commerical type engine, cast-iron sleve, and oil filter. and their new premium ohv engine has a cast iron sleve. I Just wanted to give the heads up out their.I,m Really thinking about the new time Master by toro 30 in my line up!

weeze
01-31-2012, 10:51 PM
does it have a honda engine?

larryinalabama
01-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Theres was another thred about this and everyone agreed that the thing would be underpowered

Exact Rototilling
01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Theres was another thred about this and everyone agreed that the thing would be underpowered

Yes I'm 80% sure I will buy one from Home Depot this Spring however I'd be suprised if I didn't return it inside of 30 days.

j-ville native
01-31-2012, 11:14 PM
commercial type engine?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Yes I'm 80% sure I will buy one from Home Depot this Spring however I'd be suprised if I didn't return it inside of 30 days.

Wouldn't you want to go dealer bought on something like this?

larryinalabama
02-01-2012, 12:12 AM

I like the concept it actually words.

What the current status of BOP?

Exact Rototilling
02-01-2012, 12:59 AM
I like the concept it actually words.

What the current status of BOP?

Don't know what the current BOP status is. I'm more than concerned about getting parts for the mowers down the road such as control cables, levers, clutches and spindle center shafts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
02-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Is there a picture of it on the internet anywhere?

brucec
02-01-2012, 10:57 AM
there are a couple videos of them on you tube

brucec
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
hope this link works. http://youtu.be/TJEQ1EYyo0w

Merkava_4
02-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the link. A lot of guys don't like that Personal Pace setup; I don't know how well that's gonna go over.

dwost
02-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I think this is geared toward the residential cutter, with that said this could be a solid play if they actually designed one based off their current commercial line in a 30" It definitely fills a void going from a 21" to a full 32" wb.

Mowingman
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
The personal pace system does not hold up well at all in heavy duty commercial use.
The timed blades will be a big problem if they use a cogged belt to keep them in time. Just look at the problems with the Cub Cadet and similar Troy Bilt 33" machines. Decks and spindles are easily destroyed with the cog belt timing system. not well suited to being run by hired help.
I think this is strictly an average quality homeowner machine, not at all designed for hard use.

lawnboy dan
02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
its personal pace-enough said

clydebusa
02-02-2012, 08:29 AM
I would love a 25 to 28 inch mower built for commercial. Not this resi stuff. But at this point I am trying to get away from all 21 mowers and doing lawns with 36"s and 72"s

larryinalabama
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Does it have some sort of timimg belt like a car to run the bledes?

torotorotoro
02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Wouldn't you want to go dealer bought on something like this?

i cant beleive how many people think like this. this is a residential lawn mower. do you want to spend $1000 fo a mower with a 30 day warrenty, inless your dealer likes you so much he is going to commit fraud for you.

orangemower
02-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Copied from the other thread. Nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth.

30" TimeMaster
We are excited with the launch of the new 30” TimeMaster. We’d like to answer some questions posed by this thread:

- 30” TimeMaster is a consumer grade product – 3 year B2B warranty. 45 day commercial. Two models BSS (blade stop) and BSS/ES. 132 and 138 pounds unit weight respectively.

- Briggs Pro 8.75 gross torque engine for the two models (ES has on-board charging) – all performance testing has been successful using this engine even in lush and hilly conditions

- Recycling quality of cut is on par with our Super Recycler product. The after-cut appearance is extremely flat. Bagging and side discharge is superior to anything in our walk behind product family. Overall significant gains in efficiency compared to a 21” WPM.

- Timed deck system is heavily engineered to withstand stumps/etc. Two fixed idler pulleys with a leaf spring on one idler pulley to maintain tension and alignment. Blade driver is designed to shear to prevent damage to the spindles/timing system. Testing other competitive timed blade systems proved our durability far exceeded products on the market today.

- Personal Pace system is coupled with a cone clutch, internal differential, oil filled aluminum housing transmission (non-rocking; no belt slipping). Evaluation of the cone clutch system at the completion of our extended lab and field durability testing found little wear. This transmission is very solid. Blue Traction Assist lever aids the maneuverability and hill climbing.

- Other high durability aspects of design include precision ball bearings in wheels and drive train, metal wheel gears, and an increased cutting chamber deck thickness coupled with a cast aluminum frame for spindle/engine/transmission mounting.

The 30” TimeMaster is an exceptional product with Toro’s renowned durability and performance.

vaughnslawns
02-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Saw them at gie

Mowingman
02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Well this answers the real question:
"30” TimeMaster is a consumer grade product – 3 year B2B warranty. 45 day commercial. Two models BSS (blade stop) and BSS/ES. 132 and 138 pounds unit weight respectively."
This is a homeowner machine, not a commercial duty machine at all, according to the manufacturer.

torotorotoro
02-03-2012, 09:55 PM
buy it at home depot and take the 3 year warrenty.

weesa20
02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
anyone tried these yet?

weaver
02-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree this is by no means a comercial mower as stated, it's for residential, however i don't se why everyone is saying that this 30 " walkbehind is going to be way underpowered. With a 8.75 hp that's more than enough to mow lawns with. The old snapper riders actually came out with 8 hp briggs engines and they could mow all day long. Just my opinion though..

WHIPPLE5.7
02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Might have a wet grass clumping problem much like another mower we've seen with midget blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

weesa20
02-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree this is by no means a comercial mower as stated, it's for residential, however i don't se why everyone is saying that this 30 " walkbehind is going to be way underpowered. With a 8.75 hp that's more than enough to mow lawns with. The old snapper riders actually came out with 8 hp briggs engines and they could mow all day long. Just my opinion though..

I agree- snapper riders have had similar powerplants and they performed well- and this one doesn't even have to haul around the rider and the riding chassis which i am going to guess is heavier than the walk behind chassis on this machine.

94gt331
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Is this mower even out in stores yet?

WHIPPLE5.7
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
It looks like several places have this for sale. Nobody has tried one? $999 isn't bad. 5 more inches than the Ybravo and hundreds cheaper. I'm just concerned 15" blades will not go threw wet stuff without building up that deck. Its almost like a mini walker deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maco Services
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
My Toro dealer in Birmingham has one. It looks like an upgraded homeowner machine, similar to a simplicity or craftsman walkbehind. Stamped deck, homeowner controls. I didn't look to closely at the engine, but will next time I'm in there.

I need something that will hold up to me, and more importantly, my employees. I cannot describe how much time and productivity has been saved by upgrading our mowers from our used or homeowner models at first startup. We would deal with wheels falling off, cables breaking, clutches going out, on a regular basis.

My Honda commericial mowers take a beating. I had to move to those because we had blown out the aluminum decks on more than one older honda. The crankshafts may not be perfectly straight anymore, but they still run, cut, and more importantly, earn money.

Would love to hear of someone making these work, but there are numerous improvements that manufactures make to commercial mowers to deal with the stress and reliability needed from a commercial operation. Going the bargain route may pay off short term, but then you are right back to the same spot. If it was a commercially badged 30" for $1000, I'd be all over it. Good luck to those who try it!:drinkup:

Valk
02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
How often do 'homeowner' mowers get used? Once/week-ish.
How many lawns does a commercial mower mow in a week? ~A year's worth of lawns at the above pace...

I'm solo. I used 21" Toro Super Recyclers with Personal Pace (PP) for years. Trying to coax 2 years worth of full-time work out of one was not worth my time and money. By buying one every year I had some backups which made life a lot easier when an inevitable breakdown would occur.

So, IFF one goes this route with a Toro 30" with PP, you might as well count on buying one for next year and maybe you can THEN make it work as you'll have a backup...and you'll be buying another the next year.

A year of commercial use IS abuse of a homeowner-quality piece of equipment.

Mickhippy
02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I noticed in the photo, on the website that the wheels looked a little off line. Thought must of been the photo. But then seeing it on youtube, the wheels are off line again. Like its the same mower!

TXLWN
02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
If it were $500 bucks sure id buy a few and keep repairing them but for 1000 bucks no way. Just go commercial 21"

Exact Rototilling
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
The comparison between the Toro 30" and the Ybravo 25 is what interests me. Toro has flat out admitted the cut quality it better than their 21's. I'm assuming their entire 21" line including proline commercial as well. Toro also.says it's a better bagger than those. I have Super recycler 4 with personal pace. Cut quality is not all that hot even when.bagging and the wing removed. Ybravo 25 cuts better IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mlawonn
02-15-2012, 08:32 PM
First off, its not a 8.75 hp engine...thats the torque rating. Its between an 7 & 8.

Also, the 15" blades will be able to give an excellent cut. The 10 gauge deep deck helps the airflow tremendously.

The bigger the blade, the more room for error there is...Use a 72" and find out lol.

When I heard that Toro was coming out with this, I was hoping they wouldn't put a 30" blade on it. The old prolines have single blades. It takes a lot of power to get that blade turning. So, by using the smaller blades, it allows the blades to spin easier, without dragging the engine down.

weaver
02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't se why everyone is making a big deal about this mower. It's a clearly marked residential mower and like the rest will probably only last a couple seasons at best. Just my opinion though I'd spend the money on a atleast a commercial snapper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mlawonn
02-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't se why everyone is making a big deal about this mower. It's a clearly marked residential mower and like the rest will probably only last a couple seasons at best. Just my opinion though I'd spend the money on a atleast a commercial snapper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like me, if your a small lawn service, not needing to use a small mower a ton, and personally take care of your equipment, this should last a while. I understand if your help abuses the snot out of equipment, then maybe a 21" northern tool special is your thing...

weaver
02-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Like me, if your a small lawn service, not needing to use a small mower a ton, and personally take care of your equipment, this should last a while. I understand if your help abuses the snot out of equipment, then maybe a 21" northern tool special is your thing...

I just have all Exmarks, and luckily no one complains about the big mowers being on their property. A 48" rider open spaces 36 Viking for back yards and use a snapper self propelled to mow two ditches a week. I would have no need for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
02-15-2012, 09:09 PM
This mower is going to be my main unit. I only use small mowers and so far all my clients love that about my business.

I got the chance to meet a toro representative recently and asked a ton of questions about this unit. Right now I'm using a 22" recycler personal pace with blade brake clutch and really like the personal pace controls (just my preference) and when I heard this 30 inch unit was coming out I was very excited about it! I am still a little disappointed that it doesn't have a spin on oil filter and isn't a "commercial" unit but the toro rep told me that this machine cuts better than any of their 21's and bags better than their super recycler.

I did mention to him that I believe this machine will be under powered and he told me that extensive testing was done on the machine and they found that the 8.75 torque engine did great and the spindles are timed just right and the light 15" blades really do make this mower cut the best.

I told him that I was planning to use this as my main unit and asked if he honestly thought it would stand up to the abuse and he seemed to think it would do just fine which I agree with as long as the oil is changed regular, air filter is kept clean, fresh gas is always ran through the machine, and all components are serviced correctly. Now I agree the electric start version is just a little much. Honestly if your too lazy to pull a cord then you shouldn't be cutting grass haha.

The local home depot told me they aren't keeping the machine because they don't see there will be a market for it locally because I'm in a low income community but other home depots should sell this machine with ease.

Once I get my hands on it and really try it out and test it I will make sure to post a very detailed review. Any flaws in this machine will be seen since I'll be using it in all conditions and using it daily.

I may be making a huge mistake by purchasing this machine but I may be making the right one. 132lbs for a 30 inch mower VS 400lbs for a 32inch mower. I'm pulling with a 1983 BMW 320I with a 4X6 trailer and a class one hitch. So I know I couldn't haul the 400lb walk behind so this is one of my only options besides the Exmark Metro 26 and the Ybravo 25.

larryinalabama
02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
I like the concept and if Toro comes out with a commerical verision I will likley purchase one

weaver
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
I read in another post someone said if the belt breaks it could damage the blades and cutter housing's. Is that true?
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I read in another post someone said if the belt breaks it could damage the blades and cutter housing's. Is that true?
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I have read the blades are "timed" so if the blet breaks the blades witll hit eachother. Somewhere in this thred or another thred the spindles are supposed to break safety pins so no damage is done. Needless to say it might be hard to repair while your on the job

weaver
02-15-2012, 10:15 PM
From what I have read the blades are "timed" so if the blet breaks the blades witll hit eachother. Somewhere in this thred or another thred the spindles are supposed to break safety pins so no damage is done. Needless to say it might be hard to repair while your on the job

I just can't se why someone would want that thing. But hopefully if they do buy they have good luck with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
02-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Yes...some sort of shear pins to limit damage. Will check with Toro dealer and HD to see if they will stock it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mlawonn
02-16-2012, 09:50 AM
This mower is going to be my main unit. I only use small mowers and so far all my clients love that about my business.

I got the chance to meet a toro representative recently and asked a ton of questions about this unit. Right now I'm using a 22" recycler personal pace with blade brake clutch and really like the personal pace controls (just my preference) and when I heard this 30 inch unit was coming out I was very excited about it! I am still a little disappointed that it doesn't have a spin on oil filter and isn't a "commercial" unit but the toro rep told me that this machine cuts better than any of their 21's and bags better than their super recycler.

I did mention to him that I believe this machine will be under powered and he told me that extensive testing was done on the machine and they found that the 8.75 torque engine did great and the spindles are timed just right and the light 15" blades really do make this mower cut the best.

I told him that I was planning to use this as my main unit and asked if he honestly thought it would stand up to the abuse and he seemed to think it would do just fine which I agree with as long as the oil is changed regular, air filter is kept clean, fresh gas is always ran through the machine, and all components are serviced correctly. Now I agree the electric start version is just a little much. Honestly if your too lazy to pull a cord then you shouldn't be cutting grass haha.

The local home depot told me they aren't keeping the machine because they don't see there will be a market for it locally because I'm in a low income community but other home depots should sell this machine with ease.

Once I get my hands on it and really try it out and test it I will make sure to post a very detailed review. Any flaws in this machine will be seen since I'll be using it in all conditions and using it daily.

I may be making a huge mistake by purchasing this machine but I may be making the right one. 132lbs for a 30 inch mower VS 400lbs for a 32inch mower. I'm pulling with a 1983 BMW 320I with a 4X6 trailer and a class one hitch. So I know I couldn't haul the 400lb walk behind so this is one of my only options besides the Exmark Metro 26 and the Ybravo 25.

Take a look at the second post on the page

http://www.facebook.com/Toro.Company

Looks like they may come out with one after all. Also, How big are the lots do you do? I used to only use Toro Recycler and Super Recycler mowers and was realized I was losing my ass on the accounts. (TIME) Then, an established lawn service noticed the growing market I found and introduced me into commercial mowing as well. With his help, I have established my residential route, and this year, I am going into commercial accounts as well. He also introduced me to larger deck mowers...My Toro Proline 52" walkbehind does most of what I used to do with the 21" wpm's.

If they want the look of a 21" mower, you should charge more because it takes more time. I hope you are taking this into consideration when you estimate :dancing:

Roger
02-16-2012, 07:52 PM

I got the chance to meet a toro representative recently and asked a ton of questions about this unit.

The one comment on the list of specs copied from another source say the drive is a "cone drive, ... not belt slip ..." Also, the video shows a "traction assist" lever (blue), but no explanation on how it works.

What did you learn about the "cone drive" and how the "traction assist" works? Is the drive something like the Snapper, with the plate and movable drive wheel?

Info on the drive system please.

Discarding because of "consumer" grade may, or may not, be a hasty assessment. I chose a Honda HRX217, consumer model. It has a full consumer 6.5hp, OVC engine, and has done well for 1,500 hours over a couple of years. The engine remains strong. For so many people who say they "don't use it much," if you get 1,500 hours from this machine, it may fit your need. I would agree the $300 consumer mowers are not worth dragging home. This may fit this category, or may not -- I have not put my eyes on one.

Exact Rototilling
02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
As of now my local Home Depot is not slated to stock them. Toro dealer....check back.in 3 weeks....? Even wisesales doesn't have.them in stock...yet?

I've got my Ybravo 25 and a Quickie 32 and another used Q32 in the cue....I'm good to go.

I'd be blown away if the Toro 30.could.match.the Quickie 32 cut quality.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
As of now my local Home Depot is not slated to stock them. Toro dealer....check back.in 3 weeks....? Even wisesales doesn't have.them in stock...yet?

I've got my Ybravo 25 and a Quickie 32 and another used Q32 in the cue....I'm good to go.

I'd be blown away if the Toro 30.could.match.the Quickie 32 cut quality.
Posted via Mobile Device

I lucked up on a bop 36 in new condition so Im ut of equiptment money for this year. I will say this toro looks interesting

Exact Rototilling
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I lucked up on a bop 36 in new condition so Im ut of equiptment money for this year. I will say this toro looks interesting

Does it have the single.notch blades? If yes good to go. If not try to order the ultra lift blades.

I'm hoping Oregon ® can release some even better blades than those. It may take some time for them to crank them out. But I'm confident the design will improve damp deck built up.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
02-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I think it might hit a nitch market with us commericial guys. We buy at least one new 21" unit every year. Sometimes for cutting those yards that don't want big mowers and other small areas at commerical sites. Bottom line we don't put much use on them and that extra cut width would be beneficial. I was surprised to hear it is only $1000....kinda doubt that.

Valk
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Does it have the single.notch blades? If yes good to go. If not try to order the ultra lift blades.

I'm hoping Oregon ® can release some even better blades than those. It may take some time for them to crank them out. But I'm confident the design will improve damp deck built up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will the engine have the power to run 'aftermarket' higher lift blades? Probably. But aftermarket blades are 'typically' a heavier gauge than homeowner blades...so in addition to the higher lift, a heavier blade might be the proverbial straw for the deck spindles/belt/etc.

Toro will likely have their Atomic blades to swap out.
Others will disagree, but I preferred an Atomic blade over Toro's standard blade on my
Toro(s) 21 Personal Pace ('push' mowers :laugh:)...but I primarily side-discharge
nearly 100% of the time.

I hope this is a winner...but will it last in a commercial setting? The jury be out until at least Nov '12...!

Exact Rototilling
02-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Will the engine have the power to run 'aftermarket' higher lift blades? Probably. But aftermarket blades are 'typically' a heavier gauge than homeowner blades...so in addition to the higher lift, a heavier blade might be the proverbial straw for the deck spindles/belt/etc.

Toro will likely have their Atomic blades to swap out.
Others will disagree, but I preferred an Atomic blade over Toro's standard blade on my
Toro(s) 21 Personal Pace ('push' mowers :laugh:)...but I primarily side-discharge
nearly 100% of the time.

I hope this is a winner...but will it last in a commercial setting? The jury be out until at least Nov '12...!

I was actually refereeing to Alabama Larry’s score on a newish Q36. The BOP Ultra lifts Q36 are a noticeable improvement over their standard low lift blades blades but still lack when compared to the highest lift blades you can run on the Q32. I have full confidence OREGON ® can crank out better blades for the BOP 36 and the 44 deck. It just a matter of time. The Q32 already has them available – plug and play.

Whenever the Toro dealer in town gets a 30” in stock I’ll be all over it checking it out for signs of weakness. Blades, spindles etc.