PDA

View Full Version : Received my Magna-Matic 8000 today

Dylan's Lawn Care
02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Ordered it Monday and received it today it might of helped that I live about 3hr from the factory but still good processing. Good thing I was home because the UPS man asked for help with the box because he did not have a dolly.

I only sharpened one set of blades so far but love it. It took me a good amount of sharping to get a good edge but i put that off to me using a bench grinder on the blades before and probably was not even close to 30 degrees. Even with taking the extra time to get the blades back right I never burnt one they never really got hot. Once i got them back to the right angle they were sharp. I could never a get the tip of the blade square with the bench grinder but was able to get it back square.

I got the balancer also very sensitive, for fun i started to put leafs on the blade to see how sensitive it was and every leaf I put on the blade got more balanced turns out my blade was out of balance by 5 leafs lol.
I bought a Oregon 511A chainsaw sharpener that has not arrived yet ill get some pics and stuff when it comes. Hoping that I can make a little extra money on the side with this stuff to.

http://youtu.be/hs33SQ9VNv0

weeze
02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
very nice. thanks for posting the video. :)

Landscape Poet
02-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Cool - I would ask the UPS guy for a refund however, do you ask your customers to trim because you did not have a trimmer that day:laugh::laugh::laugh:

dwost
02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Magna-Matic......there is not substitute :D

Merkava_4
02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
That's too easy. :D

ralph02813
02-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks Dylan!

Magna-Matic
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Thank you for posting the video Dylan!

You guessed correctly - that first sharpening will take longer to get your blades standardized to the 30 degrees, but once that is done subsequent sharpenings should be in the 30-60 second range.

Thank you,

FLD350
02-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Nice machine Dylan! Just curious did you purchase the 8000 because you have mulching blades? And any idea what the price difference is between the 8000 and the 9000? Either way looks like it goes a great job!

ralph02813
02-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Nice machine Dylan! Just curious did you purchase the 8000 because you have mulching blades? And any idea what the price difference is between the 8000 and the 9000? Either way looks like it goes a great job!

has anyone campared it with the Bradley?

mtmower
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice. Looks like the best on the market. I'm still not convinced it's a time saver though. I started out with the vice and angle grinder. I wised up pretty fast and bought a little 6" bench grinder. Then got smarter and bought a big 1 horse 8" bench grinder. Then I bought a used Neary blade sharpener and did some checking and was told to install a 24 or 28 grid stone they sell (I don't remember exactly but it was a 20 something). The super coarse stone was probably made the biggest advantage. Each step up in equipment helped speed and safety by a little bit. They all cost $ and this is partly why it's taken me this long to get to the point I am. I just can't justify this shiny new one unless it's faster yet. Does anyone know the grid stone used? If you have a 1/4" notch missing from the cutting edge and need to take the blade down within reason, (both sides for balance) can this machine do it any faster? Or does it just make you look good while you're doing it?:rolleyes: Don't get me wrong if my Neary died tomorrow and I had too much money lying around I'd probably already have one.

grass-scapes
02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Ordered mine earlier this week. It was shipped yesterday. I am due to receive it Tuesday. I went with the 8000 over the 9000 for the larger HP motor and the ability to sharpen mulching blades. I am also planning on ordering the jig for the chipper blades when they redesign them because I own a Bearcat chipper and it gets a lot of use during crepe myrtle pruning season.

Dylan's Lawn Care
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM

I have mulching blades on my 21" mower and im going to try and make some money on the side with it so i need to be able to do mulching blades.

It is like a 500$ price difference between the two, I think the 500$ difference is a lot for the 1/4 bigger motor and a chunk of steel so you can do mulching blades. They give the prices on the magna-matic website.