PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wrangler Lawn Rig?

c2weech
02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
They make a mean residential plow vehicle but I can't get over letting a vehicle sit that long.

I was just wondering if any does or has used a Jeep wrangler as a lawn rig.

I know they have a low tow rating 2000#.

This is what I was thinking though. A jeep wrangler with a 4.0 six cylinder with an auto trans, add an aftermarket trans cooler.

Pulling a 5x8 enclosed trailer with trailer brakes, with a 52 inch stander, string trimmer, back pack blower, stick edger, and possibly a 21inch push.

What do you all think?

Thanks

G. Ramey
02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I occasionally pull a 12 foot v nose enclosed with a 2005 Wrangler. I pulled it about 500 miles to Florida last month. All together the Wrangler has 58000 miles on it with about 3000 pulling the trailer with a couple of big tool boxes and a golf cart in it. My concern would be the transmission. I dont know if it would hold up to everyday pulling. Mine has a loud whine in the transmission that wasn;t there before pulling the trailer.

knox gsl
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM
I know someone who used an older TJ wrangler to move a small tractor and bushhog around on. The jeep would pull it but didn't handle well with stopping or curves in the road. I have a WJ grand cherokee with similar drivetrain and suspension and it doesn't like more than 4K on a trailer, but does great with a smaller trailer. I have pulled a 6x12 enclosed with a couple of 21"s and 48" walker with no issue.

unkownfl
02-01-2012, 11:17 PM
You know if you're pulling anything over the rated amount you could end up paying if you hit anyone.

Valk
02-02-2012, 12:41 AM
When towing, especially with higher tongue weights, a Jeep's inherently short wheelbase will result in less weight on the front axle - making your front brakes less effective and your steering will be less responsive. Not good for evasive maneuvers.

c2weech
02-02-2012, 04:22 PM
When towing, especially with higher tongue weights, a Jeep's inherently short wheelbase will result in less weight on the front axle - making your front brakes less effective and your steering will be less responsive. Not good for evasive maneuvers.

Thats what I've heard, but with the set up I listed I would be right at the 2000# mark or a couple hundred pounds lighter and with trailer brakes.

Thanksman
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I just got rid of my jeep, what a cute hitch it had.:laugh:

32vld
02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
I post this response on plowsite but did some editing.

I have a 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited, 4.0, 6 speed. Pull a 4x8 harbor freight trailer rated 1450 lb, no trailer brakes.

Mowing I haul a 500 lb JD, 20" pusher, line trimmer, hand held blower, 2 gas cans. Handles well. Stops well. Plenty of power.

Once I had a 1 cubic yard of top soil, another time 2,250 lb of gravel size rock. Power was good. How ever I keep speed down for stopping.

Wranglers are rated low because the lawyers don't want a heavy load behind an open top vehicle. But when I bought mine in England they sold the wrangler with a higher tow rate then in the US.

I forgot that my jeep had a 3500lb tow rating. Regular TJ's are 2000 lb. I remember back then jeep Cherokee's had a higher tow rating with the same engine and a unit body where the wranglers have a full frame. This I believe was that lawyers don't want an open car pulling that much weight.

Can't rent a trailer from U Haul if you show up with a convertible because of the sue happy culture we live in.

Now if I had to replace my TJ it would leave me with a tough decision for I love having the doors and side curtains off during the summer.

Yes a new GM/Chevy 1500 has a 8,900 lb tow rating and the new 4dr jeeps are still 3,500 lb.

Thing is I have a 4x8 trailer. I thinking of moving up to a 6x10 with solid side trailer that has a 2990 gvwr that has a load cap of 2040 lb. Or a 7x12 with open side rails same gvwr and 2050 lb load cap.

Now my largest mower is 500 lb, 20" pusher I'll guess 100 lb, blower and trimmer and gas cans another 100 lb. I can still haul this set up with a TJ/JK unlimited.

Thing is if I went to the 7x12 trailer, and two larger mowers and still take everything else I would still be under the jeep wrangler maximum 3,500 tow rating at 1,200 lbs. Even if my estimates are under I have 650 lbs to play with.

I don't see my self expanding into hardscapes. Or running 4 man crews at this point.

So which will be more important 8,900 tow capacity that appears that I may never use or doors and side curtains off. Only time will tell. Lucky that I don't have to replace anything at this time.

But in the end have to consider if one is going to plow and other uses.

I do residential snow removal. I put my two blowers in my trailer and I'm good to go. But if I go to bigger blowers.....

As you can see everyone's needs and hence what is best for them can change.

Turfcutters Plus
04-11-2012, 09:12 PM
I have a gas hog 96 gmc 8 cylinder i have used since i was full time with 70-80 accounts . Now i am part time and would like to purchase a 4 or 6 cylinder Jeep wrangler . Is this ok ?? I only do 20-30 accounts in town within 6 miles of my house . I want to have some fun in this ....... I am a 50 year old solo mowing guy for 21 years now ....