PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Maple Pruning... lets teach some of you.

andyslawncare
02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
One of my biggest pet peves in this business is people that don't know how to care for a $2,000+ tree. I made a video for people to watch...lets see less nubs and less dead wood in these slow growing centerpieces of the landscape. Take pride in your work for God's sake! :drinkup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu0frsH2WYU&context=C3c7426cADOEgsToPDskIXvtAbGCrmAy7jnwGcwlKs

orangemower
02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
That tree looks pitiful and you're not teaching me anything I didn't already know. Now this might help the young kids just starting out. Is that a customers tree?

andyslawncare
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM
That tree looks pitiful and you're not teaching me anything I didn't already know. Now this might help the young kids just starting out. Is that a customers tree?

This tree is a new customer's tree. They bought the house at foreclosure. The reason for this post isn't to inform experienced people, but to help people that don't have a clue know what to look for. I'm tired of going to a job where branches have died back because of bad pruning cuts, and its important for people to know where to make the cuts, and what to look for. Yep, and the tree looks bad now, I know. It was 50% dead when we got there.

orangemower
02-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Hopefully it will bounce back. Good luck with the new customer.

Richard Martin
02-02-2012, 03:53 AM
That's pretty much the same way I do it. The problem I see with a lot of Japanese Maples isn't improper pruning, it's a lack of pruning. And when they do prune it's one branch here, one branch there, just like in your video. People are scared to death to touch these trees because of their cost. They're afraid if they cut the wrong branch the whole tree will just suddenly die off.

ralph02813
02-02-2012, 07:24 AM
That's pretty much the same way I do it. The problem I see with a lot of Japanese Maples isn't improper pruning, it's a lack of pruning. And when they do prune it's one branch here, one branch there, just like in your video. People are scared to death to touch these trees because of their cost. They're afraid if they cut the wrong branch the whole tree will just suddenly die off.

Richard, I think they are scared to death to touch almost any tree/bush. :waving:
I think two of the worse cases I have seen around here besides the J. Maples are boxwoods and rhododendrons.

OneLineAtATime
02-02-2012, 07:58 AM
I have a client that has two, one on each side of her pouch. She has shaped/trimmed them for years with hedge trimmers like shrubs. Know we have been trying to re-train them back to trees. It's been rough, i'll have to find some pics to post

orangemower
02-02-2012, 08:07 AM
This guy trims them with a hedge trimmer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gkm7gOZlCA&feature=related

grassman177
02-02-2012, 09:25 AM
good post, always nice to see someone help out teh guys that dont know.