PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot BEAST Power Equipment

Rick13
02-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Has anyone used or tried Home Depot's BEAST (Model 36FB)? Their website says, " Turf Beast 36 In. 22 HP 653 CC Subaru V-Twin Engine with Electric Start Hydro Finish Cut Mower".
Features:

22HP, 653cc Suburu EH65V engine
4.8 gallon fuel capacity
Electric start with battery included
Commercial duty sulky included as a bonus item
Quick adjust floating deck, no tools required (feature valued at $1000)
Dual Hydrostatic Drive
V-Bar E-Z hydro speed control
Soft start clutch and spindle brakes
High impact, long life spindles with grease fittings
Long life aramid fiber V-belt
High capacity deck for high speeds through tall grass
Converts in minutes to 36" Brush Beast mower with Brush Mower Conversion Kit part #M36BDB sold separately
Optional mulching kit sold separately (part #MK36)
Minimal assembly
1 year limited warranty on attachments
Engine and Transmission under manufacturer's warranty

For around $3,300.00

I know it's not Exmark, Scag, John Deere, etc...but Suburu 22 hp engine is huge for such a small deck.... I would think it could almost bail hay with an engine like that!

What do you think?

orangemower
02-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Isn't that made in China? You should try to support the USA made products as much as possible.

Rick13
02-01-2012, 10:45 PM
I understand the USA made products. I wondering why most 36" mowers have 13 to 16 hp engines and this mower has 22 hp.

Ridin' Green
02-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I can't answer the HP question, but do a search for a thread called "The Beast" or something very close to that. It'll make your head spin, but it has a lot of info from the rep for the beast, and opinions from all of us here.

I am another one who believes in supporting America whenever possible (which is getting ever harder to do).

Rick13
02-01-2012, 11:37 PM
The sad thing in America is the C.E.O.'s of these American Companies love to outsource their production overseas so they can have higher profits. They put the America worker out of work, and then in turn, return their product back to USA so the consumer has to buy it, and then get a higher profit for moving it outside the US. The C.E.O.'s of these Companies figure it doesn't effect them, then it's all good!

I try to buy US products too, but that is one factor. I won't buy something that won't last, doesn't have a know history, bad customer service, and overpriced.

I have no idea if this mower is made in China....usually Home Depot is big in supporting the USA and Olympic Athletes. They usually have the largest group of Athletes that participate in Summer and Winter Olympics. Granted Home Depot is very large company that is based in USA.

Most likely I will go with either a Scag, ExMark, or Lesco.... I just ran across this ad on Lawnsite and wondered if anyone used them, or if they were assembled by another lawn mowing company. So far I don't know where it's made....it just has a very large engine.

Richard Martin
02-02-2012, 03:41 AM
I have no idea if this mower is made in China....usually Home Depot is big in supporting the USA and Olympic Athletes. They usually have the largest group of Athletes that participate in Summer and Winter Olympics. Granted Home Depot is very large company that is based in USA.

Being Home Depot has nothing to do with it. Home Depot has plenty of Chinese products within their walls, particularly in the tool departments.

On these very pages of Lawnsite the owner of the company that makes the Beast admitted that virtually all of the steel in the mower is made in China and imported to their assembly plant in Clayton, NC.

ralph02813
02-02-2012, 07:09 AM
The sad thing in America is the C.E.O.'s of these American Companies love to outsource their production overseas so they can have higher profits. They put the America worker out of work, and then in turn, return their product back to USA so the consumer has to buy it, and then get a higher profit for moving it outside the US. The C.E.O.'s of these Companies figure it doesn't effect them, then it's all good!

I try to buy US products too, but that is one factor. I won't buy something that won't last, doesn't have a know history, bad customer service, and overpriced.

Most likely I will go with either a Scag, ExMark, or Lesco.... I just ran across this ad on Lawnsite and wondered if anyone used them, or if they were assembled by another lawn mowing company. So far I don't know where it's made....it just has a very large engine.

This is called advertising - more people care about sports than anything else.

MOturkey
02-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Where it is made aside, what is going to happen when you have a breakdown or need a part? Something tells me you can't run around back of the local Home Depot and expect someone to work on your mower, or come up with a part so you can do so. For this reason alone, I'd never buy a piece of equipment I depend on at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, or any other mass merchandiser, and I don't care how much cheaper it is.

grassman177
02-02-2012, 09:23 AM
good point from moturkey. but , as they said, cheap chinese crap HD is selling out like wallyworld has .

bls47303
02-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Bigger engine= more gas. on a 36 you dont really need much over an 8hp honestlly

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
As one who took a gamble on a new, non-mainstream mower, I will say STAY THE FREAK AWAY!!!!

I bought a machine that looked pretty sweet on paper and on the web - only to find out the hard way that no amount of horsepower can compensate for a $hittily designed deck. I spent thou$and$ on a machine that didn't cut grass worth a crap - AND left me high and dry when I needed parts. (BOP)

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-02-2012, 10:08 AM
As for the "buy American" clan: puh-lease. Would it be nice if we could? Sure.

But buying a machine made by Americans who make $17/hour vs. buying a machine from China where the employees make $17/day... quit blaming CEO's for their decisions to CATER TO THE WHIMS OF CHEAP-A$$ AMERICANS.

It's my own pet theory that Walmart has destroyed this country in a way. Every American is obsessed with pricing! (yes, this is a generalism. And, yes, we will all be skeptical when you reply to this comment claiming otherwise.) As a result, companies who want to make money and stay in business have to cater to the price-tag-obsessed purchasers that keep their doors open.

But don't take my word for it - read Limbaugh's explanation of how and why China manufactures everything (http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/02/01/the_new_york_times_turns_on_apple).

The fact is, 2 mowers made the same (one in China and one here) would cost vastly different amounts of your hard earned dollars. And when purchase time came around, the bulk of you would obviously make a similar BUSINESS decision and try to improve your bottom line with the cheaper machine.

ralph02813
02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Where it is made aside, what is going to happen when you have a breakdown or need a part? Something tells me you can't run around back of the local Home Depot and expect someone to work on your mower, or come up with a part so you can do so. For this reason alone, I'd never buy a piece of equipment I depend on at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, or any other mass merchandiser, and I don't care how much cheaper it is.

Neil, I couldn't agree with you more. It seems every time I bring this up I kind of get my head handed to me here.

Richard Martin
02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
And when purchase time came around, the bulk of you would obviously make a similar BUSINESS decision and try to improve your bottom line with the cheaper machine.

Well you can just call me a dumb ass then because I bought Dixie Chopper and Ferris instead of The Beast and Red Hawk.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Well you can just call me a dumb ass then because I bought Dixie Chopper and Ferris instead of The Beast and Red Hawk.

Apples and oranges. You bought quality machines. I am drawing a comparison to comparable manufacturing. Such does not (yet) exist for mowers.

orangemower
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Whoop, that's too bad you had bad luck with the BOP mower. I for one have not had anything at all go wrong. Sure it will clump and clog up but so does my 61" scag! EVERY mower will clump and clog in heavy growth. Every time you buy something made in China, where do you think the money is going? It sure as hell isn't staying in the states. This country owes China soooo much now that soon we'll be living in the United States of China! Same as the illegal immigrants flocking into the country and feeding off of our system, not paying taxes and wiring the money they do make back to their country. Our prez thinks making more money is the answer. I think we all know that's not going to help but only hurt us.

You say you blame Walmart. What makes them any different then buying from China? You support a China made product yet flame a company that does just what you are doing. No disrespect toward you, just saying :hammerhead:

djagusch
02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Back to the beast mower. The only reason to have 22hp on a w/b is marketing. I believe this model interchanges with a brushcutter deck also. Please note they used the subura which cost less than most others.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
02-02-2012, 12:54 PM

The fact is, 2 mowers made the same (one in China and one here) would cost vastly different amounts of your hard earned dollars. And when purchase time came around, the bulk of you would obviously make a similar BUSINESS decision and try to improve your bottom line with the cheaper machine.

First, we would be able to buy a lot more things made here, if people didn't take the same attitude that it seems you have, which is to just give up on buying American made things because it is inevitable that we will eventually have to buy all chinese crap sooner or later anyway. Every single time I am in HD, Lowe's, Walmart etc., I hear others complaining about all the chinese crap on the shelves, so it seems obvious to me that more Americans want to be able to buy American made products, but feel helpless to do anything about it, so they go along to get along so to speak.

There is something they can do though- vote this fall for someone who isn't already in the White House. Someone who isn't passing all the exreme EPA regulations that prevent this economy from moving forward, and from companies building new plants and hiring Americans to fill the job positions, or developing new products at more reasonable costs. All of that is possible if they had a corporate tax rate that was much more friendly here.

As far as two identical machines, one made here, and one made in china- that will never happen for one simple reason. chinese made steels are always inferior to ours, so their mowers etc are inferior and will always be until something major happens that makes them have step up to the plate and compete on an even playing field. Until then, they will continue to make inferior everything because they could care less about their own people, and it is more profitable to the chinese gov't to make crap and flood our markets with it.

Ridin' Green
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Back to the beast mower. The only reason to have 22hp on a w/b is marketing. I believe this model interchanges with a brushcutter deck also. Please note they used the subura which cost less than most others.Posted via Mobile Device

As far as the beast mower, this post is right on. They have taken the one size fits all attitude, which keeps inventory/costs down on top of the advertising angle.

orangemower
02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
As far as the beast mower, this post is right on. They have taken the one size fits all attitude, which keeps inventory/costs down on top of the advertising angle.

and profit up.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-02-2012, 01:59 PM
You say you blame Walmart. What makes them any different then buying from China? You support a China made product yet flame a company that does just what you are doing. No disrespect toward you, just saying :hammerhead:

Walmart began the 'lowest price at any cost' gig. That was their entire operation. Pricing, pricing, pricing. We, as consumers, all loved the concept and bought into the culture... not realizing til later the disastrous consequences we're now discussing.

First, we would be able to buy a lot more things made here, if people didn't take the same attitude that it seems you have, which is to just give up on buying American made things because it is inevitable that we will eventually have to buy all chinese crap sooner or later anyway.

I haven't given up. But with a family of 7 to care for, I'm in a position of buying the $20 harbor freight cordless drill instead of the $200 Milwaukee. It's just reality.

Every single time I am in HD, Lowe's, Walmart etc., I hear others complaining about all the chinese crap on the shelves, so it seems obvious to me that more Americans want to be able to buy American made products, but feel helpless to do anything about it, so they go along to get along so to speak.

This is an awful argument. You heard someone piss and moan? C'mon, man. You think if the market allowed for more high end, expensive tools that our capitalistic society would just turn its collective head the other way and shrug off a money making opportunity? THE PRODUCTS DON'T EXIST BECAUSE THERE'S INSUFFICIENT DEMAND FOR THEM. Why? Refer back to my initial pot-stirring post.

There is something they can do though- vote this fall for someone who isn't already in the White House. Someone who isn't passing all the exreme EPA regulations that prevent this economy from moving forward, and from companies building new plants and hiring Americans to fill the job positions, or developing new products at more reasonable costs. All of that is possible if they had a corporate tax rate that was much more friendly here.

I agree completely.

As far as two identical machines, one made here, and one made in china- that will never happen for one simple reason. chinese made steels are always inferior to ours, so their mowers etc are inferior and will always be until something major happens that makes them have step up to the plate and compete on an even playing field. Until then, they will continue to make inferior everything because they could care less about their own people, and it is more profitable to the chinese gov't to make crap and flood our markets with it.

Yes, I am aware. Apparently no one here grasps the concept of a hypothetical. The entire POINT of that was to expose the reality that we are driven by our wallets first. ESPECIALLY in business matters. It's that whole "business sense" thing...

Ridin' Green
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I haven't given up. But with a family of 7 to care for, I'm in a position of buying the $20 harbor freight cordless drill instead of the $200 Milwaukee. It's just reality.

This, I completely understand.

This is an awful argument. You heard someone piss and moan? C'mon, man. You think if the market allowed for more high end, expensive tools that our capitalistic society would just turn its collective head the other way and shrug off a money making opportunity? THE PRODUCTS DON'T EXIST BECAUSE THERE'S INSUFFICIENT DEMAND FOR THEM. Why? Refer back to my initial pot-stirring post.

Not really. My point was that if more people would simply not buy the crap that comes in from china whenever and where ever possible, instead of whining about not being ale to do something, then less of that crap would/could be sold here, which would open alternative markets, making it possible for more American made products to be sold here.

Yes, I am aware. Apparently no one here grasps the concept of a hypothetical. The entire POINT of that was to expose the reality that we are driven by our wallets first. ESPECIALLY in business matters. It's that whole "business sense" thing...

Yes, we are driven by our wallets, but by that same token, we want the best bang for our buck when we open those wallets, and crap from china is not the best bang for our buck, especially when you will eventually have to buy the same two or three times to equal one American made product in terms of quality and durability (not to mention down time caused by not having factory support handy for an inferior product).

Richard Martin
02-02-2012, 04:33 PM
It never occurs to me to buy Chinese because of the price. And this particular American made product wasn't cheap.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes, we are driven by our wallets, but by that same token, we want the best bang for our buck when we open those wallets, and crap from china is not the best bang for our buck, especially when you will eventually have to buy the same two or three times to equal one American made product in terms of quality and durability (not to mention down time caused by not having factory support handy for an inferior product).

This sounds good and wonderful - very pro American, but it's not accurate. As one example, Apple products - renowned for their quality and reliability - are Chinese made.

That Harbor Freight drill would have to die 10x's before I'd spend the same as the Milwaukee - and I'm no contractor, so that isn't gonna happen.

Chinese manufacturers use whatever the business running things dictates - cheap crap or nice.

Ridin' Green
02-02-2012, 05:35 PM
This sounds good and wonderful - very pro American, but it's not accurate. As one example, Apple products - renowned for their quality and reliability - are Chinese made.

That Harbor Freight drill would have to die 10x's before I'd spend the same as the Milwaukee - and I'm no contractor, so that isn't gonna happen.

Chinese manufacturers use whatever the business running things dictates - cheap crap or nice.

That's your opinion, and you're free to have it as a American, so I'll say this, then say no more here about it. We have already hi-jacked the OP's thread enough IMO.

My point was, and is is extremely accurate, whether we are talking about mowers or anything else made in china. However, the OP wasn't asking about drills from Harbor Freight or any other products like that. He was asking about a mower that is made in china, and is basically junk, with little to no support from the company selling it here. There have been a ton of posts here by guys who have been willing to give them a shot for the so called "savings" involved, and then they dropped their hard earned cash down on one, only to have non stop problems. They inevitably ended up taking it back for a refund, and having to go ahead and buy a more expensive, better quality machine to stay in business or take care of their own property. Almost all (if not all) said they wished they'd have done so to begin with.

hammmerhead
02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
China is pure Filth. However, it is impossible to not buy things that are imported from there. They oppress their people offering zero human rights and no wage laws just to keep their manufacturing up and to have so many US companies licking their chops to get CHEAP labor! To eat, live and raise a family there you basically have to be a slave in many cases working every day of the year. China copies all of our companies patents and steals EVERY idea out there that they can use their crappy steel or potmetal to manufacture with. Add crappy metals and penny labor and you come up with a product they can create, send it over here and then have some Joe Schmo sell it at a profit. This entire process is totally negative from the get go.

Once again, China is Filthy in every way.

ralph02813
02-02-2012, 06:11 PM
It never occurs to me to buy Chinese because of the price. And this particular American made product wasn't cheap.

You go Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-02-2012, 11:42 PM
China is pure Filth. However, it is impossible to not buy things that are imported from there. They oppress their people offering zero human rights and no wage laws just to keep their manufacturing up and to have so many US companies licking their chops to get CHEAP labor! To eat, live and raise a family there you basically have to be a slave in many cases working every day of the year. China copies all of our companies patents and steals EVERY idea out there that they can use their crappy steel or potmetal to manufacture with. Add crappy metals and penny labor and you come up with a product they can create, send it over here and then have some Joe Schmo sell it at a profit. This entire process is totally negative from the get go.

Once again, China is Filthy in every way.

I completely agree. That being said, America's manufacturing was built the very same way. It's easy to look down our noses at them now, but they're merely going through the same explosive growth we went through not all that long ago. We had sweat shops, child labor, merciless bosses, etc. I'm not saying it's right or giving it a pass - I'm just pointing out that they are following the same path to industrial prowess that We The People did.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-03-2012, 10:23 AM

But buying a machine made by Americans who make $17/hour vs. buying a machine from China where the employees make $17/day... quit blaming CEO's for their decisions to CATER TO THE WHIMS OF CHEAP-A$$ AMERICANS.

It's my own pet theory that Walmart has destroyed this country in a way. Every American is obsessed with pricing! (yes, this is a generalism. And, yes, we will all be skeptical when you reply to this comment claiming otherwise.) As a result, companies who want to make money and stay in business have to cater to the price-tag-obsessed purchasers that keep their doors open.

But don't take my word for it - read Limbaugh's explanation of how and why China manufactures everything (http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/02/01/the_new_york_times_turns_on_apple).

I know you are sour grapes on BOP and I have had the opposite experience with them, BUT..........
I agree with your assessment on the WalMarting of the US. That damn place has had more negative impact on the fiber of our nation than anything else I can think of.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I know you are sour grapes on BOP and I have had the opposite experience with them, BUT..........
I agree with your assessment on the WalMarting of the US. That damn place has had more negative impact on the fiber of our nation than anything else I can think of.

Thank you, DA. I was starting to feel like I was being painted as a commie here. :laugh:

Patriot Services
02-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I remember the last thread on these mowers. Gordon the rep would answer every question and criticism professionally. Then all of a sudden these machines disappeared and now they are back again. :usflag:

Ridin' Green
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I remember the last thread on these mowers. Gordon the rep would answer every question and criticism professionally. Then all of a sudden these machines disappeared and now they are back again. :usflag:

Yea,

He was very professional about it al. I have asked about him a few times since then, but no one seems to know where he went. I am wondering if he just got tired of all the hassles and phone calls and went and found himself another job?:confused:

Exact Rototilling
02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Much of the damage to our Country from Chinese products has already been done. There are HUGE tax incentives for US Co to set up shop over there as well as "most favored trade status". Without those key elements our shores would not be flooded with products from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
02-03-2012, 11:58 AM
The world is a circle - once China can afford to produce the junk they produce they won't produce it any more - look at Japan. I am not sure if this is legal or not but if your looking for quality stuff check these guys out: www.BullhideBelts.com I have no affilation except for the fact that I wear and love their stuff.

Patriot Services
02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
The world is a circle - once China can afford to produce the junk they produce they won't produce it any more - look at Japan. I am not sure if this is legal or not but if your looking for quality stuff check these guys out: www.BullhideBelts.com I have no affilation except for the fact that I wear and love their stuff.

China is already realizing they are on a huge bubble. It didn't take long for their new middle class to start demanding higher wages and better conditions. Soon they will start outsourcing to undeveloped nations.
Posted via Mobile Device

rockenlawn
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
I just got a Gravley 36" with a 15 horse Kawi with pro stance grips for 3500. I would much rather have that than a home depo pos for 200 less.

Has anyone used or tried Home Depot's BEAST (Model 36FB)? Their website says, " Turf Beast 36 In. 22 HP 653 CC Subaru V-Twin Engine with Electric Start Hydro Finish Cut Mower".
Features:

22HP, 653cc Suburu EH65V engine
4.8 gallon fuel capacity
Electric start with battery included
Commercial duty sulky included as a bonus item
Quick adjust floating deck, no tools required (feature valued at $1000)
Dual Hydrostatic Drive
V-Bar E-Z hydro speed control
Soft start clutch and spindle brakes
High impact, long life spindles with grease fittings
Long life aramid fiber V-belt
High capacity deck for high speeds through tall grass
Converts in minutes to 36" Brush Beast mower with Brush Mower Conversion Kit part #M36BDB sold separately
Optional mulching kit sold separately (part #MK36)
Minimal assembly
1 year limited warranty on attachments
Engine and Transmission under manufacturer's warranty

For around $3,300.00

I know it's not Exmark, Scag, John Deere, etc...but Suburu 22 hp engine is huge for such a small deck.... I would think it could almost bail hay with an engine like that!

What do you think?

welldone2523
02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
When I have more time I will explain...Dont buy there ZERO TURN MOWER! They have great service and support but still, they cant fix a machine that breaks down twice....AND THE KICKER....it only had 5 hours on it...and they were legitimate breakdowns with extremely poor design...

dbear
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
...I haven't given up. But with a family of 7 to care for, I'm in a position of buying the $20 harbor freight cordless drill instead of the $200 Milwaukee. It's just reality...
Sad part is, that $200 Milwaukee stands a good chance of having been made in China, on the same line as many "Chinese crap" ones:

"Milwaukee Electric Tool is headquartered in the Milwaukee suburb of Brookfield, Wis., with research, new product development, manufacturing, manufacturing support, marketing and sales and information systems operations in the U.S., China and Europe."
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/About/MilwaukeeStory/Headquarters.aspx

Additional Info:
"Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. is a world-class leader in quality consumer and professional products marketed to the home improvement and construction industries. An unrelenting strategic focus on powerful brands, innovative products and exceptional people drives our success.

TTI's powerful brand portfolio includes Milwaukee®, AEG® and Ryobi® power tools and accessories, Ryobi® and Homelite® outdoor products, and Hoover®, Dirt Devil® and Vax® floor care appliances...."
http://www.ryobitools.com/community/about_us

Landscraper1
02-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Bigger engine= more gas. on a 36 you dont really need much over an 8hp honestlly

The 22hp is overkill for a 36". In my experience, a 15hp is plenty good for a 36" hydro. 8hp is too weak. Maybe ok for a belt drive but, not a hydro.

The 22hp is a gimmick. Don't forget they call the mower a "beast".

ralph02813
02-03-2012, 05:49 PM
The 22hp is overkill for a 36". In my experience, a 15hp is plenty good for a 36" hydro. 8hp is too weak. Maybe ok for a belt drive but, not a hydro.

The 22hp is a gimmick. Don't forget they call the mower a "beast".

my 36 has 13, there are many a day I wish it had 4 or 5 more

orangemower
02-03-2012, 07:14 PM
My 36 has a 16 on it.

Landscraper1
02-04-2012, 09:46 AM
my 36 has 13, there are many a day I wish it had 4 or 5 more

I have 4, 15hp Kaw, 36" Wright Standers. These mowers carry a man and always have a catcher on them, never had a problem with power. I could easily buy with more HP but, see no reason. In the long run I would spend more on fuel, for the same amount of production.

nepatsfan
02-04-2012, 09:52 AM

The US would have an easier time competing if we could use 10 year old girls in sweat shops for 16 hours a day at 5 bucks for the day. It isn't apples to apples with quality or the help

Thanksman
02-04-2012, 09:55 AM
:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

grassman177
02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
only scrubs will buy cheap knock off mowers built andor designed in china. period. like worldlawn. screw that, just a cheaply made obvious copy of exmark, and nothing is being done about it either.

that being said, if you needed a cheap, seldom used machine , well, you thought i was going to say get the beast.......no, get a used american made quality machine instead.

Richard Martin
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Just in case ya'll missed it the first time...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=238804&stc=1&d=1328218349

ralph02813
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
I have 4, 15hp Kaw, 36" Wright Standers. These mowers carry a man and always have a catcher on them, never had a problem with power. I could easily buy with more HP but, see no reason. In the long run I would spend more on fuel, for the same amount of production.

I hear you, but I have seen my mower in operation with the 15 Kawi instead of the 13. All I can say is gimme!

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
that being said, if you needed a cheap, seldom used machine , well, you thought i was going to say get the beast.......no, get a used american made quality machine instead.

I concur. Even my American made (Chinese quality) BOP sucked. I ended up buying an oooooold Exmark @ auction for $500 - and it mows circles around every other mower I've owned.

Richard Martin
02-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I concur. Even my American made (Chinese quality) BOP sucked. I ended up buying an oooooold Exmark @ auction for $500 - and it mows circles around every other mower I've owned.

Eventually everyone figures out that there really isn't a whole lot of difference from one commercial mower to the next. Sure they may have different creature comforts but the main item is "will it cut grass?" Everything else is fluff and B.S. The key is being a true commercial mower. You could have gotten an old Bobcat, Gravely, Ferris or whatever and been just as happy.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Eventually everyone figures out that there really isn't a whole lot of difference from one commercial mower to the next. Sure they may have different creature comforts but the main item is "will it cut grass?" Everything else is fluff and B.S. The key is being a true commercial mower. You could have gotten an old Bobcat, Gravely, Ferris or whatever and been just as happy.

Maybe. My experience is somewhat limited, but I've been disappointed by 2 Toros and a Lesco w/b as well. Lesco one could argue isn't quality enough to count (though it was actually built well and cut great - I just don't have wrists for the friggin' pistol grips). Toro, on the other hand, should have been acceptable (one SFS deck and one TurboForce) - but both let me down.

Perhaps it's something about smaller w/b's. My 3x36" and 1x44" were all letdowns. My 52" Exmark TT is a tank and I am happier with an almost-20-year-old mower than I am/was with any of my other 4 brand new ones.

grassman177
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
maybe, our turbo force decks have been the best we have had so far.

Richard Martin
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I am happier with an almost-20-year-old mower than I am/was with any of my other 4 brand new ones.

Maybe I'm just different. I've had 7 different commercial mowers. In chronological order, Woods 36 SD, Gravely 50, Exmark 36, Dixie XW2500, Dixie XT2800, Ferris SD 36 and a Ferris 36 GD. Of those I've only had 2 that I just couldn't make work out. The Exmark 36... It seemed like there was constantly something wrong with this mower. Whether it was the electrics or the greaseless spindles, I just couldn't make this mower not break down. My Ferris 36 SD. When it threw the belt for the timed blades and ultimately destroyed 2 blades and 2 spindles with less than 150 hours on the mower, I just can't handle that. I'm going to mount an electric spreader to the front of the Ferris and make it into a $3,000 spreader.

The rest of my mowers I've been able to make my own. I did considerable work to my Gravely, enough to make it into a grass cutting monster. And my current Dixie has had a ton of mods done to it.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
maybe, our turbo force decks have been the best we have had so far.

I love the TurboForce deck. It's just the rest of the mower that was garbage. I plan to put the TurboForce on the BOP hydros before spring.

grassman177
02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
that woudl be a great frankenmower

Ridin' Green
02-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Just in case ya'll missed it the first time...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=238804&stc=1&d=1328218349

There's no such thing as seeing this to much IMO!

Rick13
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Here's the guy who started it all....lol.

1st off...it's great to see the American Spirit is still alive!!! I only asked the question for some insight on the "beast" because #1...Lawnsite had an ad at the bottom of their webpage. #2... I wasn't sure about this mower and figured that the fellow Lawnsite members would know the best...which after reading everyone thoughts I've came to my next conclusion. #3... Going to spend a little more money and buy a Scag from my local dealer. It's a 36" Pro-V, hydro, 16 hp Kawasaki engine, and will come with a warranty. From their walk behind belt driven to their higher end Pro-V is about $600 to $800 difference....but I think buying new and a warranty will be the best option for me. But thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Good-luck to everyone on a good cutting season!!!

osmann_lawn
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I work at The Home Depot part time on the freight team. Pretty much everything the Home Depot stocks is from CHINA or Taiwan.

osmann_lawn
02-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I do support ECHO products for the lawn care industry. All of there products are made to last a long time. The Home Depot that i work at does sell the more expensive ECHO's .