PDA

View Full Version : Utility company sending me a bill...need advice

Florida Gardener
02-02-2012, 12:36 AM
So we broke a gas line oct 31, the utility company comes out and fixes. I get a bill today for $300. Guy never told me about a bill nor did I sign anything. He was there for an hour and the labor charge was $200....is this a load of crap or am I going to be forced to pay?
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
02-02-2012, 01:08 AM
If it wasn't marked, then no assuming you hand dug 30" on either side of the mark. If it was, then I do not know. Most likely though. You negligence, assuming it was your fault, causes the break and someone had to fix it, so you or someone has to pay
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
02-02-2012, 07:46 AM
You are liable unless you called and had it located and it was not where it was supposed to be. In my area I call 811, (Call Sunshine) before I do any hardscape, landscape or irrigation. They locate for cable, telephone and FPL. You have to have the gas company locate seperately.Call Sunshine is free.

jvanvliet
02-02-2012, 07:58 AM
So we broke a gas line oct 31, the utility company comes out and fixes. I get a bill today for $300. Guy never told me about a bill nor did I sign anything. He was there for an hour and the labor charge was $200....is this a load of crap or am I going to be forced to pay?
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamond; did you dig? If you did, and didn't call "No Cuts" @811 you are probably responsible.

jvanvliet
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
You are liable unless you called and had it located and it was not where it was supposed to be. In my area I call 811, (Call Sunshine) before I do any hardscape, landscape or irrigation. They locate for cable, telephone and FPL. You have to have the gas company locate seperately.Call Sunshine is free.

Didn't know you had to call the gas company separately, good to know. They are just starting to pull gas lines in my area. I never thought of it, I figured Sunshine/No Cuts (whatever) would do the location.

clydebusa
02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
In Tulsa you are liable, unless you called for markings. 300 isn't bad either. I have heard of charges in the 1k, and some phone lines into the several k's.

unkownfl
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Not enough information here. No you don't have to call anyone but 811 unless 811 tells you too. I wouldn't pay anything. Let them contact you by phone and if you feel the need to pay it should be able to get it down to like $100

Ric
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
In Tulsa you are liable, unless you called for markings. 300 isn't bad either. I have heard of charges in the 1k, and some phone lines into the several k's.

Chris

Yep you got off lucky. Pay the Bill and quit crying, it is the cost of a Business Education. You won't be digging again without calling for underground marking service.

Florida Gardener
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Chris

Yep you got off lucky. Pay the Bill and quit crying, it is the cost of a Business Education. You won't be digging again without calling for underground marking service.

Ric I like crying though
Posted via Mobile Device

Tri-City Outdoors
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
We call 811 before we dig 90% of the time. One property we have located several times. So if we know were not in the area with utility's we wont. One job we put in a bed area around a pool. 3 gas lines total (pool heater,generator,BBQ) leading to a underground tank. 811 did not locate for us.

We were informed gas lines should be 4' deep with a tape 2' down/above the gas line. Well the line arrived from 6" to a 1 1/2' deep. The tape resting on the line to just above. We also had a wire for the pool that cost several hundred just for the wire and no labor. We ended up removal/prep the area by hand. Then instead of a nice landscaped area around there pool. They now have an annual garden.
Loooooooooong story short.
No call to 811. I think you are responsible. If the line is marked wrong (tape), not deep enough, or not located properly. I'd stand my ground and not pay a dime. The installer or locator is responsible in our opinion.
Also got a friend that works at 811. Utility's are miss-marked often. Always take pics of the of the location before digging.
good luck!

silverado212
02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Like above posters stated if you called (here it is called "call before you dig") and had all utilities marked you are off the hook. If not you have to pony up.

A couple years back a buddy and I were putting a new electrical service in for his sister. Drove a 1/2" ground rod straight through the middle of a 3/4" gas line. I got lucky for one that I am still standing. When the utility came out first thing they did after shutting off the gas they called the utility locators. The locator told us it is law before breaking the surface of the earth to call and have utilities marked. $800 bill if I remember correctly.

jvanvliet
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Not enough information here. No you don't have to call anyone but 811 unless 811 tells you too. I wouldn't pay anything. Let them contact you by phone and if you feel the need to pay it should be able to get it down to like $100

When you say you don't have to call anyone, do you mean like the gas company?

You're right about negotiating the price; Tri-City has some good points too.

unkownfl
02-02-2012, 06:58 PM
You call 811. They will tell you who they contact and who they don't.

unkownfl
02-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Gas is only 18inches and they don't have to use caution tape. It all depends where you're on depth too. Electrical is 36inches if it's direct buried or 24 if in conduit. Many companies go deeper it all depends on their specs. Those are the minimum depths when I did work for teco and FPL only a few years ago. Gas can be in cooper or poly lines too so be very careful.

Ric
02-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Ric I like crying though
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what I am thinking. But if I post it, it will be deleted.

Florida Gardener
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Chris

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what I am thinking. But if I post it, it will be deleted.

Do it
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Gas is only 18inches and they don't have to use caution tape. It all depends where you're on depth too. Electrical is 36inches if it's direct buried or 24 if in conduit. Many companies go deeper it all depends on their specs. Those are the minimum depths when I did work for teco and FPL only a few years ago. Gas can be in cooper or poly lines too so be very careful.

I don't trust builders as far as I can throw them. Too many recent developments where I've found the electric barely covered by the sod. Cable tv gets pushed into a 2" deep slice made with an edging tool. All my sod jobs get marked now. I hate breaking crap.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
02-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I doubt you've found utility power cables laid under the sod. That would be just about impossible. If you did it would have been hit and pulled up by someone else before you. Just an fyi anywhere were the cable comes out of the ground into the home/utility boxes is considered a legal locate and if they paint a circle around it that extends the locate.

Tri-City Outdoors
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
My neighbor 2 houses down has the power line exposed in the yard. It was installed just below the sod. You never know!

jvanvliet
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I doubt you've found utility power cables laid under the sod. That would be just about impossible. If you did it would have been hit and pulled up by someone else before you. Just an fyi anywhere were the cable comes out of the ground into the home/utility boxes is considered a legal locate and if they paint a circle around it that extends the locate.

I've found power line, telephone trunk line & cable all buried right next to a 3" irrigation main I had to dig out and re-route. 811 advised us ATT & FPL ran along to front of the property, my dig was in the rear. Looked like they droped their cable right into the irrigation trench.

Good thing we dig careful.

unkownfl
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I was being sarcastic. I was just quoting what FPL or PE would say happened.