PDA

View Full Version : for those using straight trucks

crazymike
02-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Just a question for those of you using straight/box trucks.

I'm bidding a large property this year that will require its own crew for the better part of the week.

If I get this property I'm going to put together a box truck for that crew. That way everything is locked up at night but ready to go for the next day. No loading/unloading. Harder to steal than a trailer. I don't need a way for them to haul material or mulch or whatever, that's what dump trucks are for.

In the winter time however, it will make an ideal walkway truck. Can carry snowblowers, UTV, whatever I need. However, I want an easy way to put salt in the thing.

Has anyone installed double man doors on the side so they can load a skid or one tonne bag of salt in? I would imagine using the back door would be a hassle because of the ramps.

The problem is, I see it as a good spot for people to break into the trailer at night. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid; if they want in, they will get in. But it's a lot easier to cut a padlock on the side doors, then figure out how to lower the ramps, then cut the padlock on the rollup.

Unless I had a bar go across the inside of the barn doors to hold them shut?

Thoughts? Ideas?

ecurbthims
02-02-2012, 01:58 AM
There are many trucks and transport trailers running around with a set-up like that ,usually only a single door on the side though which is big enough for a pallet .I see your from Ontario ,if you ever see any Manitoulin transport supertrucks [the real long buggers ] around ,many of them have a roll-up door on the side of their drone boxes .
Security will always be an issue ,but if you back the truck up tight to a building ,or with a side door into a corner of a building then they wont be getting anything out of the box ,at least untill after they have stolen the whole truck .

crazymike
02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
There are many trucks and transport trailers running around with a set-up like that ,usually only a single door on the side though which is big enough for a pallet .I see your from Ontario ,if you ever see any Manitoulin transport supertrucks [the real long buggers ] around ,many of them have a roll-up door on the side of their drone boxes .
Security will always be an issue ,but if you back the truck up tight to a building ,or with a side door into a corner of a building then they wont be getting anything out of the box ,at least untill after they have stolen the whole truck .

alright thanks for the reassurance.

Honestly, I'd prefer they stole the entire vehicle.

If they steal two string trimmers and a blower. I'm out $1000.

If they steal everything, it's worth an insurance claim.

BrandonV
02-04-2012, 02:48 PM
superlawntrucks.com will hook you up.

crazymike
02-04-2012, 05:30 PM
superlawntrucks.com will hook you up.

I have seen them, and been inspired by their designs. However, they're an American company and far from here.

I will be going the used route then having a dove tail fabbed up.

I'm debating whether I should have a dove tail fabbed on the end with a 4' gap or the dove tail fabbed inside the box and go with a longer truck.

BrandonV
02-05-2012, 04:34 AM
I sometimes think a large liftgate instead of a ramp would be quite nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

appalachianoutdoors
02-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Just a question for those of you using straight/box trucks.

I'm bidding a large property this year that will require its own crew for the better part of the week.

If I get this property I'm going to put together a box truck for that crew. That way everything is locked up at night but ready to go for the next day. No loading/unloading. Harder to steal than a trailer. I don't need a way for them to haul material or mulch or whatever, that's what dump trucks are for.

In the winter time however, it will make an ideal walkway truck. Can carry snowblowers, UTV, whatever I need. However, I want an easy way to put salt in the thing.

Has anyone installed double man doors on the side so they can load a skid or one tonne bag of salt in? I would imagine using the back door would be a hassle because of the ramps.

The problem is, I see it as a good spot for people to break into the trailer at night. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid; if they want in, they will get in. But it's a lot easier to cut a padlock on the side doors, then figure out how to lower the ramps, then cut the padlock on the rollup.

Unless I had a bar go across the inside of the barn doors to hold them shut?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Can you find ankle pallet jack on craigslist or through a business auction and put it Ianthe box during the winter. You could load salt through the rear door with your loader and then move the pallet around in the truck with the jack.

appalachianoutdoors
02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Can you find a pallet jack on craigslist or through a business auction and put it in the box during the winter. You could load salt through the rear door with your loader and then move the pallet around in the truck with the jack.

Excuse the grammar on previous post, my kindle tries to finish words and sentences for me, and i forget to check before submitting a post.

crazymike
02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
With such a long ramp, I'm not sure the loader can get close enough to load a pallet. Especially if I'm loading the pallet with the skid steer.

Also with a double door the loader can reach inside the truck and dump the bucket right into a box.

Also, assuming a get a ramp welded up. Is it feasible to transfer the system to another truck when the old one becomes uneconomical to maintain?