PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Scag Turf Tiger, model STT61A-27KA Questions???

snow4me
02-02-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm looking to possibly buy one of these units with approximately 1,300 hours on it and it has the advantage deck. When I tested it on asphalt yesterday the hydros felt really sensitive and jerky. No matter how slowly I tried to move the sticks the machine would either accelerate really quickly lifting the wheels off the ground if I was too quick or locking up the wheels coming to a stop.

Is this a sign of worn out hydro pumps or something else?

The machine also tracked unevenly...this I believe can be adjusted to correct using the threaded linkage right?

What is everyone's overall opinion on these units?

Is the 27hp L/C Kawasaki engine strong enough for this machine?

I mow 3-5 acre estates so I need a reliable large deck unit.

My Exmark Lazer Z 60" with a 35hp B&S VanGuard kept going through mule belts last season so I'm thinking about giving the Turf Tiger a try due to the shaft drive to the deck.

piston slapper
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Dampners are probably shot.
Put a magnet in the hydrotank to check for metal fragments.
Posted via Mobile Device

snow4me
02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
The right side dampener was shot. I will put a clean big fat magnet in the hydro reservoir to see if it gets any metal shavings stuck to it anyway...thanks for this tip.

I also noticed that one of the spindle bearing felt rough and the other two looked like originals but spun smoothly. I can get Oregon replacement spindles for $39.95 each so I was thinking for peace of mind I should just replace all 3 at the same time. I have read and heard from dealers in my area that the Oregon spindles are very good quality and should last just as long as OEM as long as they get greased regularly. Anyone have a differing opinion on these spindles part#82-325?

Along the same line of thinking and trying to reduce maintenance costs on this mower would you guys consider using the Oregon OEM Equivalent Deck Belt or just stick with the OEM parts for belts?

xc2010
02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
on a related note at what hr mark will they not warranty a damper because of natural wear?

djagusch
02-19-2012, 08:47 PM
on a related note at what hr mark will they not warranty a damper because of natural wear?

The earliest I have one go bad was 1600 hrs. The other one on that mower is somewhere in the 2500hr range. Both way over the 2 yr warranty mark. I think they go bad due to the seals drying up most of the time (aka age)

djagusch
02-19-2012, 08:54 PM
The right side dampener was shot. I will put a clean big fat magnet in the hydro reservoir to see if it gets any metal shavings stuck to it anyway...thanks for this tip.

I also noticed that one of the spindle bearing felt rough and the other two looked like originals but spun smoothly. I can get Oregon replacement spindles for $39.95 each so I was thinking for peace of mind I should just replace all 3 at the same time. I have read and heard from dealers in my area that the Oregon spindles are very good quality and should last just as long as OEM as long as they get greased regularly. Anyone have a differing opinion on these spindles part#82-325?

Along the same line of thinking and trying to reduce maintenance costs on this mower would you guys consider using the Oregon OEM Equivalent Deck Belt or just stick with the OEM parts for belts?

I have had the scag spindles rebuilt in the past. I have not ran a oregon one but at the price point it's worth a shot.

On the belts I've used scag belts and they last a long time. I have spare belts over 4 yrs old because the ones on the mower last and look so good.