PDA

View Full Version : How do you track what work you did for the month.

THEGOLDPRO
02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
How do you guys go about marking down what was done for the day? I currently just write everything down i did for the day and have to go back and piece it all back together at the end of the month to bill it all out. This method was fine when i was smaller but now its becoming a hassle to say the least.

I need to try and find a form of sorts that has all my customers names on it with maybe some check boxes for services then i can just look at it at the end of the month and its all in one place.....

So how do you guys track what you did for the month?

Lefet2
02-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Software! LawnPro is a good one. You can bill with it too. I cant imagine how you keep track without software! It also keeps your weekly mowing schedule. I think they have a free download to try , but I think it only has room for 10 customers. I'm curious I see you been an LS member since 06 and you don't know how everyone does there bookkeeping? That seems odd.

Glenn Lawn Care
02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
I write everything down I do that day. I agree it is a hassle, I'm looking at getting a software so it will be easier for me.

THEGOLDPRO
02-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Software! LawnPro is a good one. You can bill with it too. I cant imagine how you keep track without software! It also keeps your weekly mowing schedule. I think they have a free download to try , but I think it only has room for 10 customers. I'm curious I see you been an LS member since 06 and you don't know how everyone does there bookkeeping? That seems odd.

I don't really pay attention to what other people do. I tend to do things the way i have been doing them for years until i get tired of it and decide to ask a question.

Lefet2
02-02-2012, 06:03 PM
You should try the free download of lawnpro. It does scheduling, billing, expense tracking, invoices, estimates, client info,you can e-mail from it and more. Click on the link below at the end on the left of the site is a free trial.

http://www.lawnprosoftware.com/

lawnkingforever
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree with you Goldpro, I could care less how other people do things. I have a similar system that you have. I have sheets for every customer in a 3 ring binder. It has 2 columns for dates of service and amount $. On the top of each sheet is customer contact info and any notes. Once a month I input all service dates and $ amounts into excel spreadsheets, which I have a tab on each customer. At that time I mail out my monthly invoices. I get custom invoices from an online printing company, which has my logo and info already on it. Very easy and does not take much time. My wife has tried to get me into quickbooks, but I would not use half of the features on it. As long as I am happy and my accountant is satisfied with my method that is all I care about. I try to keep things simple.

jsslawncare
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Same here. I use a date book. Every Monday morning I write down everything for the week. If I do anything extra, I just write it down. Plus I use Lemon and invoice's 2 go. What I do work's great for me. Mainly I don't want to pay $400 dollar's for that program.

xclusive
02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I have an excel spreadsheet with my mowing route. Since the route does not change I use it throughout the season. For the days I do not cut I use the same thing but it blank and fill it in with the work as I book it. At the end of the day or week I go and enter it into quickbooks on their invoice for that month. It works well for me.

gardenkeeper88
02-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Qxpress works great for me.

grass-scapes
02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Qxpress works great for me.

I use Qxpress as well. I can go back to the very first service and see what day, time, and what I billed them. Reports....yep. I can tell you when they are scheduled to be serviced during any month in the future too. The scheduling functions do well on Qxpress.

HRidgeLandscapes
02-04-2012, 07:05 PM
My crews get a notebook with a sheet for every customer in it. They can write down the dates they have mowed and write down anything extra they have done. It works well for us. I can also write down anything the customer wants done so the guys will know to do it when they are there.

Roger
02-04-2012, 10:11 PM
GOLD... What are you using for financial management software? Why isn't the software you use for managing your finances, tracking income and expenses, managing your credit cards and bank account, able to give you exactly what you have done for the month? If your present software is not doing these things, perhaps this should be a first step.

I see you are in CT. A current thread discusses the Sale Tax issues for your state. Your software to determine your Sales Tax collections are going to tell you indirectly the sales for any given period of time. You have to have records of Sales Tax collections for the state.

THEGOLDPRO
02-05-2012, 02:59 AM
GOLD... What are you using for financial management software? Why isn't the software you use for managing your finances, tracking income and expenses, managing your credit cards and bank account, able to give you exactly what you have done for the month? If your present software is not doing these things, perhaps this should be a first step.

I see you are in CT. A current thread discusses the Sale Tax issues for your state. Your software to determine your Sales Tax collections are going to tell you indirectly the sales for any given period of time. You have to have records of Sales Tax collections for the state.

I have a program that i do all my billing through and it covers the sales tax and what not, The software i use does not have what i am looking for. I know how much i make and track that no problem, My issue is trying to find an effective way to record what properties i have done that month with out just having a notebook with a bunch of dates and names in it.

I have since started working on a spread sheet with all my customers names as well a few check boxes for when service has been completed. im trying to get all the info in one place as opposed to having to back track through my day planner to piece it all together for the month.

lawnlandscape
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Employee job sheets... but then you must count on them to fill them out correctly, and I find myself having to look over them daily and I always find errors..

Software will be in the near future for us.

Lefet2
02-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Like I said before you should try LawnPro it does all of this. You can look at it and try it for free only the free verison will only allow you to keep 10 customers in it.

http://www.lawnprosoftware.com/

HRidgeLandscapes
02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Employee job sheets... but then you must count on them to fill them out correctly, and I find myself having to look over them daily and I always find errors..

Software will be in the near future for us.

I had the problem of my guys not filling everything out correctly but i made it clear to my crew that was part of his and thats why i pay him well

lawnlandscape
02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I had the problem of my guys not filling everything out correctly but i made it clear to my crew that was part of his and thats why i pay him well

Ya, I have used the whole, "This is the most important part of your job, if you dont do this right the customer does not get billed, and nothing else you do even matters."

blah blah blah...

Either they put in the wrong date, I can't read the hand writing, the address is wrong, they are not specific with what was completed, they dont write in their lunch, or .........

spazfam
02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
We developed a spreadsheet that has my maintenance schedule in it for weekly mowing etc and for each landscape service such as one time jobs I have another single work order sheet that I fill out and document what was completed for that job and all are printed to give the crew and returned to me at the completion of the job etc. At the end of the month they go together together in a month folder. Been doing it that way for 10 years works great for me.

GravelyGuy
02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Goldpro, if you are like me and you don't really like learning new computer stuff, then I would consider Groundskeeper. It is so easy to learn how to use.

HRidgeLandscapes
02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Ya, I have used the whole, "This is the most important part of your job, if you dont do this right the customer does not get billed, and nothing else you do even matters."

blah blah blah...

Either they put in the wrong date, I can't read the hand writing, the address is wrong, they are not specific with what was completed, they dont write in their lunch, or .........

Like i told my guys this is the easiest part of the job and if your not doing it.. it cost me money and if you dont care anymore then that you can find another job.. that usually gets their attention but i pay well and take care of my guys so i 99% of the time i dont have to worry about them

srl28
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Anyone care to share their spreadsheets theyve made up??

THEGOLDPRO
02-05-2012, 11:36 PM

lol i have found people on here dont like to share for some reason. Its supposed to be a site designed to help each other out. But for some reason people are real shady about sharing contracts and stuff like that.

If i had a good form i'd sent it to you, This is also why i didn't ask someone to send me what they use because i knew it would be worthless.

HRidgeLandscapes
02-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Once we get some new ones made up ill send ya a copy of what we use

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I use quickbooks pro for all my stuff. I have a spreadsheet I print out at the start of every month and the guys just right down the date they mowed the property. If they do anything extra they just jot it down off to the side. Each week or two I enter all the charges into quickbooks then at the end of each month it's as simple as hitting a single button to print ALL my bills out to my customers. I also use it for finances and reports and all KINDS of cool things. You can see the net worth of your business and a graph of how much you've grown over the last several years. Also easy to see who still has outstanding bills that they haven't paid you all on one list. It was a little difficult at first, but I took the tutorial that comes with it and now I don't know what I would do without it. Just take a little time and learn it, and it will free up so much time. At tax time, I just put a copy of the program on a thumb drive and drop it off at my accountants. Piece of cake.....I have some down time this time of year and would be glad to answer any questions or even have guys call me and I'll do my best to help.

Okay for some reason, it says "Invalid file" when I tried to attach a spreadsheet or word document. Who knows, but here is a picture of it - customer organized by towns on the left and then columns of weeks in the month to list the date/time mowed etc....

R&S Lawn Service
02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
We use index cards, we make an index card for each customer then organize them by the day we cut then on. Example we have a pile for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. We mark down all the dates we cut their lawn and any side work, at the end of the month we bill. It has worked flawlessly for 25 years for us. We switched one year to a spread sheet and all of our guys were messing up forgetting to mark sidework(shrub trimming, mulch ect) on the spreadsheed.

Try it..it works.

THEGOLDPRO
02-06-2012, 09:52 PM
We use index cards, we make an index card for each customer then organize them by the day we cut then on. Example we have a pile for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. We mark down all the dates we cut their lawn and any side work, at the end of the month we bill. It has worked flawlessly for 25 years for us. We switched one year to a spread sheet and all of our guys were messing up forgetting to mark sidework(shrub trimming, mulch ect) on the spreadsheed.

Try it..it works.

Thats not a bad idea, But I would def lose most if not all of the index cards lol

R&S Lawn Service
02-06-2012, 09:59 PM
haha we just rubber band them. one time we did spill a gatorade on then and had to rewrite them all but other then that i can't remember any problems lol

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
For my full service/multi service customers, I keep an electronic file for each one that includes dates and what was done. For app only customers, I let my app records (copies) do the talking for them and file them alphabetically.

mkarps
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Service Auto Pilot is awesome for scheduling.

Just reading through this...I have used groundskeeper and service auto pilot now. I don't use anything seperate to keep financial. These programs keep track of sales, sales tax, expenses of you choose to enter them.

I usually just print out a report at the end of the year, then go through my box of reciepts, business credit card and organize my expenses for the year for turbo tax.

Do most of you have a accountant? Or track bank account so detailed through through the year? I just try to keep a record of income/expenses. I feel my method works for what I do but just wondering.

ddmcintosh1
02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
I have been using Qxpress since 2007 and it's been great. It will do all scheduling/routing and it's not terribly expensive. You can even rent it for a few months to see if you like it. I link mine to Quickbooks but you can bill directly out of Qxpress. Check out their website for more info. I used to do everything the way you're doing it and spent way too much time. Now I can enter all work done in less than an hour each day, hit a button at the end of the month and I'm done.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
02-09-2012, 05:12 AM
The past three years I've used and excel worksheet that i created. I too find it cumbersome to sit down at the end of the week and enter into the computer all the work from the week. This past season I bought and ipad and upgraded to the iphone. I downloaded apples version of excel, call "Numbers". To say the least, it's amazing! very user friendly. Anyhow, for the past two weeks i've been working on a network of spreadsheets. With Icloud, whatever i do on my ipad/iphone will automatically sync with the other. I'm trying to develope something that once i finish a job, i pick up my iphone, check the box of service rendered, the date and time and to have it automatically enter in the info onto an invoice for each specific customer, automatically enter my P&L information. that way, at the end of each week i have no info to enter, and end of month just print off invoices. My point is to (after each job) pick up my phone, check a few boxes and let the technology do the rest. IDK, i'm pretty sure i just rambled to the affect that it's not going to help you at all,lol. I'll let you know a year form now how well it works, and if it does i'll be glad to send it your way...

kgserv
02-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Is there not an app llike lawnpro that does everthing you just said on apad.if not how do you make one?
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCityLawnCareLLC
02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Well I've downloaded trial programs but had so many difficulties getting them to do everything I want. How? Well lots of time ,YouTube videos ,and practice. In the numbers app for iPad you can make endless amounts of worksheet sync with each other. So when I enter in information on services rendered, it will update my p&l statements, and invoices. The only part I'm having difficult with is getting it all setup with a check box. When it's done I'll post a video. I'm close