PDA

View Full Version : Fold-up trailer

cibula11
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Anyone have experience using these? I just need to haul around one JD 318 and use it for various light duty task. Having to get rid of my truck for an SUV and need something that can be placed inside a garage as I don't have ton of spare room outside for a trailer.

KrayzKajun
02-02-2012, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't do it! Those are usually cheap a$$ trailers already, now yur adding folding points etc.. Just more weak points on the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

cibula11
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
any other options for a 4x8 trailer then?

could a trailer be flipped on it's side for storage? Don't want it in the front yard :)

32vld
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
You don't say how heavy your 318 weighs. You don't say what the trailer you are looking at is rated to carry.

Yet you seek an intelligent answer.

Well many people here are psycho but not many are psychic.

But I'll change gears and try to be psychic and divine an answer.

I am first going to make an ass out of you and me and assume you are looking at a trailer sold by Harbor Freight made buy Haul Master (think that's the brand name, made in China)

I have a 4x8 folding trailer. Mine is rated @ 1,450 lb capacity.
Floor is one sheet of 3/4"x4'x8' plywood. So I can't fold it.
Used it to carry JD 180 42" 500 lbs, 20" pusher, hand held blower, line trimmer, two gas cans. Total load 700 lbs estimate.
I have over loaded the trailer twice. 1 cubic yard of topsoil, and brought a 2,250 lb load of pebble size rock to the dump. Trailer survived.

Thing I heard is that the wheel bearings did not last and where metric and hard to find replacements.

What I surmised was that being most people have grown up post RWD, front drum brake cars so they don't know how to pack a wheel bearing (it's not smearing grease over the outside of the bearing) or know how to adjust wheeling bearing play (it's not tightening till you can't tighten the spindle castle nut anymore) so this is why the run on wheel bearings going bad.

My trailer is a 2006. Always parked outside uncovered. Used it this year since I went back to landscaping. A 7x12 trailer would be nicer.

So if you can't afford to spend $1,500 to 2,000 then a Harbor Freight trailer should do for you. They have a 1750 lb rated trailer that does not fold for about $350.

mowerbrad
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
How often do you plan on carrying your 318 around? If it is just going to be a couple times a year, then you may be able to get by with that folding trailer. If you plan on hauling the mower regulary, you will want a better trailer.

The folding trailers are geared toward the homeowner who needs to carry something a couple times a year but has minimal storage space. It'd be fine taking your mower to the dealer for service when needed or hauling firewood (or something similar). But usually they aren't built to survive daily use for long.

32vld
02-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Used my 2006 HF trailer 2 days a week all season long. No problems. Don't expect any next year.

Doing lawn maintenance my 4x8 trailer hauled a 500 lb JD 42" mower. 20" pusher, line trimmer, hand held blower and two gas cans.

How many people starting out will use more equipment then that? Not many.

I would not hesitate to recommend for someone to buy one if this was all they could afford when starting out.

People confuse need and want, along with what one can afford.

But I will add what one may spend to buy a sheet of plywood for the floor and wood for the side rails, stain, water proofing, hardware, one may find it cheaper to buy a 5x8 wood floor trailer with rear ramp for $799 from tractor supply.Or a mesh floor one for $699.

I will admit on some clean up jobs I wish I had a 6x12 trailer. Hold more means less trips to the dump.

luis@NJ
02-03-2012, 04:14 AM
you have to determine your needs first. That was my first trailer a 4x8 folding. Very quickly out-grew it. Try to buy something bigger if you need it and can afford it. I now have a 6.5 foot by 14 foot dual axle and love it, its big enough for three walk-behinds but i only keep two on it and can carry a lot of mulch,topsoil etc. Hope this helps

KS_Grasscutter
02-03-2012, 06:29 AM
I'm not sure I would trust one of those folding trailers to hold anything that weighed much more then a bag of potato chips, and especially not equipment I needed to make a living with. I'd go with like a 5x10, and if space is an issue you could rent a 10x20 storage unit to keep it in, probably around 70 a month. I started with a 6.5 x 12 trailer in a 10x20 storage unit, then moved to a 7x16 and got a 10x30 unit, then got a 13x55 that I could keep the truck in too, now both are outside in the yard behind my garage lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

cibula11
02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
My JD 318 weighs about 950 w/ deck. I only have one contract and the place is only 2 blocks from my house. I'd like to use it weekly, but since it is fairly close I could drive it over each week. It would be nice to bring my trimmer, blower and push mower along with it in one trip, but I could go back and forth if needed. The trailer's load limit is around 1200 lbs.

I'd be up for getting something else, but like I said, I don't have the space to keep it outside and it would need to be flipped up or folded up for storage in my garage.

32vld
02-03-2012, 12:00 PM
My JD 318 weighs about 950 w/ deck. I only have one contract and the place is only 2 blocks from my house. I'd like to use it weekly, but since it is fairly close I could drive it over each week. It would be nice to bring my trimmer, blower and push mower along with it in one trip, but I could go back and forth if needed. The trailer's load limit is around 1200 lbs.

I'd be up for getting something else, but like I said, I don't have the space to keep it outside and it would need to be flipped up or folded up for storage in my garage.

I thought it would be nice to fold up my trailer but decided a floor with one 4x8 sheet and no seam would be better then two 4x4 panels and a seam that would allow water and salt spray to splash up into trailer, and have a seam were mulch, soil, etc can fall through on to the road.

Also I forced myself to realise that with my garage therre was never going to be the space needed even if I had folded the trailer to store it inside.

You can always keep a tarp over the trailer.

Thing is you are already admitting you can't fit all your equipment.

Thing is you're not saying you can't afford to buy something as a 5/6x10/12 trailer from tractor supply.

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?p=Q&lbc=tractorsupply&uid=841887507&ts=custom&w=*&isort=price&method=and&view=grid&zone=16&stateid=s6-1_s6-3_s6-1%3aNWgp4lea&cnt=300

Also getting rid of a truck for an SUV?

Can you go with a crew cab instead of a SUV?

You would still have a bed to put the pusher, trimmer, blower and whatever else won't fit in the folding trailer.

cibula11
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
I thought it would be nice to fold up my trailer but decided a floor with one 4x8 sheet and no seam would be better then two 4x4 panels and a seam that would allow water and salt spray to splash up into trailer, and have a seam were mulch, soil, etc can fall through on to the road.

Also I forced myself to realise that with my garage therre was never going to be the space needed even if I had folded the trailer to store it inside.

You can always keep a tarp over the trailer.

Thing is you are already admitting you can't fit all your equipment.

Thing is you're not saying you can't afford to buy something as a 5/6x10/12 trailer from tractor supply.

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?p=Q&lbc=tractorsupply&uid=841887507&ts=custom&w=*&isort=price&method=and&view=grid&zone=16&stateid=s6-1_s6-3_s6-1%3aNWgp4lea&cnt=300

Also getting rid of a truck for an SUV?

Can you go with a crew cab instead of a SUV?

You would still have a bed to put the pusher, trimmer, blower and whatever else won't fit in the folding trailer.

Well we are currently selling my dakota and got a Tahoe. It was more of a growing family issue than don't need a truck at all. I don't use my truck but more than a few times a year, so we figured it was kind of a waste to have four vehicles that would not be driven very often.

orangemower
02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
If you can ride the mower a couple blocks, then get a small pull cart for the back.

Are you a homeowner just doing a favor or are you starting up a lawn service?

cibula11
02-03-2012, 12:57 PM
If you can ride the mower a couple blocks, then get a small pull cart for the back.

Are you a homeowner just doing a favor or are you starting up a lawn service?

I have thought about the pull cart idea...

I am basically a homeowner doing a favor, but because this 'favor' will pay over 3K I have to do it the right way and so I have a business license, but I don't plan on adding any more contracts unless someone in the area asks, then I'd look into it.

Lordtimothy
02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
If it is just a couple of blocks, pull cart would be plenty. If you are using it even a couple of times a week the trailer you get from Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply would be plenty. Remember if it is a part time thing you need much less than a full time Cutter.

You are asking a board where many are full time cutters and many have a hard time thinking small.

cibula11
02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
If it is just a couple of blocks, pull cart would be plenty. If you are using it even a couple of times a week the trailer you get from Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply would be plenty. Remember if it is a part time thing you need much less than a full time Cutter.

You are asking a board where many are full time cutters and many have a hard time thinking small.

Thanks. That helps. I know you guys are the big boys, so I appreciate you helping out the newbies.