PDA

View Full Version : propane weed control

sven1277
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Do any of you use a propane torch for post emergent weed control? I currently spot spray with roundup but have been thinking about trying it for a couple of years.

sven1277
02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Nobody!?!?

sven1277
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Anybody???

Dr.NewEarth
02-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Hello, we use a propane torch. You only have to heat the weed leaves and melt off the waxy coating. You don't need to fry them to a crisp.

Without the waxy coating, the sun takes care of the rest of the control.

Problems: This is time consuming. You have to continue to torch the weeds week after week. I've had problems with annual weeds bolting into crazy growth by the time I return the next week. They want to propensiate their species.

My company is eco-friendly and we have tried every-thing to control weeds...vinegars, fatty acids, burning, fiesta, hand weeding.I tell clients in their contracts and information packages that they have to accept some weeds in their lawns and gardens.

Eco-friendly is a good thing for the environment and our health, but it is alot more labor intensive. I miss the days when we could put down a pre-emergent here, or spot spray Killex (2,4-D Mecoprop and Dicamba) One spray and you're done quickly.

Now we have to return and redo the treatment on a weekly basis until, hopefully the energy is depleted from the weed roots.

Clients budgets haven't changed here with the bylaws preventing pesticide use. I know that using pesticide free methods is more time consuming and costs the company more.

You will never kill grass with a burner. You can't get down to the vascular meristem.