PDA

View Full Version : Pulled The Trigger Today

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Starting my fourth season in the Lawn and Landscape Business and will officially full time in 2 weeks. Turned in my resignation today. :waving:

Everyone at the department was very encouraging and wished me well. Several said they wished they could do the same thing, and others said; "you have a lawn business"? Sure wish I did this 10 years ago.

Just bought a new 2011 Grandstand 52", had to pay for it, the dealer wouldn't't take my 2011 Police Cruiser in on trade, guess I'll have to turn it in. Don't know what his problem was, the thing only has 16,000 miles on it :laugh: Anyway, just happy to join the ranks of full time. See ya'll out there.

lawnkingforever
02-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Good luck. You are starting out with a sweet mower. I have a 48" Grandstand, very productive machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Ok, I gotta ask. First Krazy Kajun turned in his badge, now you. Are PD's getting that bad? I've had friends wait years to get PD/FD/EMS jobs. I know money could be better but usually the benefits and retirement are good. That's why I stuck out my 20 in the military and made both work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daily Lawn/Landscape
02-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Starting my fourth season in the Lawn and Landscape Business and will officially full time in 2 weeks. Turned in my resignation today. :waving:

Everyone at the department was very encouraging and wished me well. Several said they wished they could do the same thing, and others said; "you have a lawn business"? Sure wish I did this 10 years ago.

Just bought a new 2011 Grandstand 52", had to pay for it, the dealer wouldn't't take my 2011 Police Cruiser in on trade, guess I'll have to turn it in. Don't know what his problem was, the thing only has 16,000 miles on it :laugh: Anyway, just happy to join the ranks of full time. See ya'll out there.

Congrats on taking the big step. Funny thing is 10 years ago today, I did the same thing. I'm sure you will be enjoying the decreased stress level from this point forward. :drinkup:

James

KrayzKajun
02-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Congrats!! Like Patriot said, I. Turned my badge in last October & haven't looked back!
Posted via Mobile Device

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Thank you LawnKing, I regretted not buying last year and didn't want another year to get by without one.

Hello Patriot, I can actually answer your question; I lived in Tampa for 20 years and was with the Sheriff's Dept. down there for 8 of those years. Military before that (USMC). No, PD's are not getting bad. I've been very happy with both agencies. It's a quality of life thing. A properly run business is a reward not a headache, shift work, holidays, missing the childrens outings with church and scouts, missing church etc. I've always done pretty good with investments, so retirement is no issue. The call to help people doesn't end when you turn in your badge. I'll still be the 1st person to assist anyone in need while wearing my lawn shirt. I'm sure Kajun would also. So, no reason for concern, there are plenty of young guys in line, just as you said.

You're right Daily, the stress went away as soon as I turned in my notice. And Kajun, I've been meaning to pm you about how it's going, I guess now I know.

Thanks guys,

HLM HustlerZ
02-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Yeah, congrats on the the big step of going out on your own full time! I've been full time since May 10, 2010, and it's something I enjoy doing everyday, kind of slow this time of year but I sell firewood in the winter so it makes ends meet.

nepatsfan
02-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Giving up a job playing hide and seek for 2 grand a week must be tough.....especially to get into this field.

Lefet
02-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Sounds like you've thought it through and made a sound decision. Congratulations and good luck! You too Krayz, I didn't know you turned yours in too!!

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah, congrats on the the big step of going out on your own full time! I've been full time since May 10, 2010, and it's something I enjoy doing everyday, kind of slow this time of year but I sell firewood in the winter so it makes ends meet.

Thanks HustlerZ, I thought about that whole winter thing. I started floating the 12 month contract thing with my existing customers last year, and they were very receptive; I kept all of my customers, reduced their monthly amount, and spread it over 12 months. That got me to thinking, so, the new customers I got so far are also 12 month. So that's my winter plan. Winters here are mild, so I can still do a lot of the extra work my clients want done.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Good luck to you. And for that fact everyone for the upcoming season. We are getting hungry in the northeast with no snow!
Posted via Mobile Device

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Midnight Shift is in the BAG! Just got home, and I'll never work midnights again. Wonder what that's going to be like?

jsslawncare
02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Good Luck, hope all goes well.

sjessen
02-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Midnight Shift is in the BAG! Just got home, and I'll never work midnights again. Wonder what that's going to be like?

Where did you get your Grandstand?

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Kubota of Knoxville on Clinton Hwy. Used to be East Tennessee Equipment off of Inskip. They deal in Kubota, Toro, Shindiawa. See Joe Abbott, real easy to work with.

sjessen
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Kubota of Knoxville on Clinton Hwy. Used to be East Tennessee Equipment off of Inskip. They deal in Kubota, Toro, Shindiawa. See Joe Abbott, real easy to work with.

Thanks. Wasn't sure they still sold Toro. Am looking at a 60"Vantage myself.

Do you think the frosts will slow down the grass?

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Good Luck, hope all goes well.

Thanks JS, Hey, if you wore out your equipment you made some serious money...Good Job. I bought a 2011 Ferris ZTR in March of last year. Love it, the 4 wheel independent suspension makes for a great ride. Had to go 45 minutes south to get it, but the value was worth it.

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks. Wasn't sure they still sold Toro. Am looking at a 60"Vantage myself.

Do you think the frosts will slow down the grass?

Looked at that myself, but when I bought a used, inexpensive mower from Kubota last year from Joe, the service was impecible. That's what brought me back this year. The Frost, who knows, just going to play it by ear.
By the way, contacted my customers and they're all for it, so I'm working :)

sjessen
02-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Looked at that myself, but when I bought a used, inexpensive mower from Kubota last year from Joe, the service was impecible. That's what brought me back this year. The Frost, who knows, just going to play it by ear.
By the way, contacted my customers and they're all for it, so I'm working :)

Good for you! I am doing mostly mulching and pruning right now. Will watch the lawns and start as needed.

Btw, what part of town do you operate in?

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Good for you! I am doing mostly mulching and pruning right now. Will watch the lawns and start as needed.

Btw, what part of town do you operate in?

I have a really tight route in West Knoxville, but that's only because I was able to build it slowly while working my other job. Now that I'm full time, I'm sure I'll expand westward. Because of my previous employment, I know every neighborhood that exists, so I'll target the ones I can use existing equipment on. Send me a PM, we'll bounce some ideas around and see if we can benefit our companies.