PDA

View Full Version : Just got paid from a deadbeat

chesterlawn
02-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I cut this guys two lawns last year, one was $100 per cut and the other was $55 a cut. From the beginning something seemed a little off, real casual attitude about prices for cuttings and cleanups at both places and he didn't seem to work. It's hard to explain but after many years of doing this you get a feel for people. After the first month I billed him he was late paying, I called him a month after I billed and went to his house and got a check. Then he was late again and fell two months behind then started making partial payments. I know it's partially my fault because I was aware what was going on and still he got to owing $1100 before I stopped cutting and threatened a lawsuit. Still didn't pay so I went to court and won, still no payment after a month. Then I paid for a sheriff sale on his property, they went and tagged all his poolside lawn furniture and statues for a sale. Well he came to my house two days ago with a cashiers check for $1440 for what was owed plus court costs. I have done these sheriff sale about 5 times before and they always work.

nepatsfan
02-03-2012, 08:34 AM
HAHA....I love it. How does the sheriff sale work? You are ruthless, in a good way though.

Did you have a signed contract? Just curious because we don't do contracts for residential.

MOturkey
02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Congratulations. I'm only out $300 for the season. Worst part is, $210 of that is a guy I had problems with the year before. He owed me $125 or so at the end of 2010, but called me and paid up before mowing started. Like a dummy, I agreed to mow for him again. Well, the same old stuff. Partial payments, catch you next week, etc, so I eventually cut him off. I should have known better, but after him paying me the first time, I thought I could trust him. Who knows, he may eventually pay this balance as well, but I'm sure not going to mow for him again.

meets1
02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
I hate people like that. Get it no matter what. Even if it cost you to do something - its the principle of the deal.

Jimslawncareservice
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Moturkey, if he calls in the spring, take his money and run far far away.
Posted via Mobile Device

BestImpressions99
02-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Well at least you got paid, dead beat or not. We were about 600 in the hole until last week. Season's been over for the past 2 months... and one was a business no less. Oh well, again, they at least paid.

landscaper22
02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't know anything about a sheriff sale, but that sounds cool. Must be a state thing. Here in SC, all you can do if you win and the person does not pay, or if they fail to show for court, is receive a judgment lien to file with the clerk of court. Then, if they ever go to sale their home, you have a right to be paid out of the sale of the debtor's property. But, it only works for real estate in my state.

mowerman41
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
A customer owed my friend $600 and flat out refused to pay. So my friend didn't want to go the court route. So he saw an ad for free fill delievered minium 20 yards, so he had 20 yards dropped in the guys driveway, and then drove by 2 days later he said it was more enjoyable then the money!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

MOturkey
02-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Moturkey, if he calls in the spring, take his money and run far far away.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hear you, man. That is what I should have done last year.

mowerman87
02-03-2012, 07:30 PM
HAHA....I love it. How does the sheriff sale work? You are ruthless, in a good way though.

Did you have a signed contract? Just curious because we don't do contracts for residential.

I'm also curious about this sheriff sale thing. Do you need to have a signed contract? Did you first file a mechanic's lien?

chips17
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
im interested in finding out about that sheriffs sale. im in Montgomery county and it would be nice to know how to do that.

rollman
02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Glad you got paid , I would like to hear more about this Sheriffs Sale too .

Richard Martin
02-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Then I paid for a sheriff sale on his property, they went and tagged all his poolside lawn furniture and statues for a sale. Well he came to my house two days ago with a cashiers check for $1440 for what was owed plus court costs. I have done these sheriff sale about 5 times before and they always work.

I'm a little confused. First, a sheriff's sale is normally done auction style. The sheriff shows up with an auctioneer and then they start the bidding. They don't normally put price tags on lawn furniture. And they darn sure don't show up ahead of time (apparently days) to put price tags on items.

I'm afraid that without further explantion I'm going to have to throw the http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/smilies/bs.gif flag on this story....

chesterlawn
02-04-2012, 06:33 AM
First I know it doesn't seem like he was behind in paying me, but we had a drought in late June and July so he was two and a half months behind. And how the sheriff sale works, first you have to file a claim for money owed and go to small claims court and win. Then he has a month to pay, if he doesn't pay then you can pay for a sheriff sale it cost me $233. A sheriff goes out to his house and knocks on his door if he answers the sheriff tags property in the house, if no answer he tags property outside of the house. The tags are not price tags, they are tags for property to be sold and cannot be removed by the owner. Then if you are not paid by the date of the sale, the sale with the list of property to be sold is posted in the district court, his property is auctioned off. I have always been paid before the auction so I'm not sure how that goes, but if the debt is not settled by the first auction you can have another sale until the debt has been satisifed.

chesterlawn
02-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Also I did not have a written contract just a verbal contract. And there is a 5 year limit on sheriffs sales, which means you can have as many sales in 5 years until you are paid, and home owner pays for cost of the sales. Also there is one weird thing, the home owner gets the first $300 if it goes to sale, it doesn't affect the amount that you get just he gets first $300. And they don't tag cars or anything that has to do with his work.

nepatsfan
02-04-2012, 07:36 AM
That's awesome. I wonder if that is legal around here.

OneLineAtATime
02-04-2012, 07:37 AM
I always wait till the big snow storm, stack a 10' high pile in their drive. Some body is not going to work today:waving:

Thats after we went to small claims court and won

chesterlawn
02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Back when I was younger and didn't know about sheriff sales, I had a property manager that owed me like $2200 for plowing some commercial properties. Well I went to court and won and still never saw the money. So one night I scooped up a bloated road kill raccoon and stuffed it in her mailbox with the face facing out, stupid but made me feel better. Well the next day I got a message from her lawyer to call him and the first thing I thought was oh crap. He wanted to know if I would accept $1750 as total payment and I said yes. I mean it was funny but it's much safer to go the legal route, I found out it can work.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Glad it worked out for you! Most times it takes the extreme to ever get paid when the customer simply just doesnt want to pay :/

Been in court all this last month it seems, people dont show up, argue about things i've never heard about prior, offer to pay half as much "or worse" like ill pay you $250 to leave us alone for a $1000+ bill. Been offered $350 for an original bill $1500 late TWO years now, total suit in small claims is $2300 ish and they offer $350.. sorry that doesnt even pay the attorney fees by now.

chesterlawn
02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I know what you mean, it's one big hassle but I refuse let it slide when a customer owes me money. I had called the property manager that owed me, I forget if it was before or after I took her to court, and talked to her secretary about getting paid. Her words to me were " You will get paid when we get our money, landscapers get paid last". That I am sorry to say is what alot of customers think of us.