PDA

View Full Version : Multching vs Bagging??

jrsimpson77
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
This spring will be my first year offering lawn mowing to my snow removal customers. Have many already signed up so We're excited.....With mutching obviously you don't have to take time to empty the bag so it would be faster to mow a yard....Do you offer a discount if they mulch it over bagging? Does multching work good enough that there won't be piles of grass left every where? Sorry dumb questions I know.....I'm new what can I say. Never multched my lawn always bagged it so just didn't know.

Thank You.

R&S Lawn Service
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
We bag everything unless the customers prefer us not to ( and yes there are some that do not want their lawn bagged ), and no we do not give those customers a discount because honestly it does not take much longer to complete a lawn if you mulch over bag if you have the right equiptment. When you bag there is less clean-up so you save time not having to blow a big mess off the walks/driveway.

jrsimpson77
02-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Makes perfect sense....thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
i never do either. i always side discharge. if you cut weekly or even bi-weekly it will not leave clippings laying on the lawn at least not where i live. on leaves i have to go over them a few times but it does the job just the same without having to dump bags (bagging) and without risk of clogging up the deck if it gets too thick (mulching).

jrsimpson77
02-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah all my accounts are once a week....so far anyways. So it doesn't leave many clippings when you do side discharge huh? Guess I could try that.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
every week there will not be even a hint of clippings on the lawn. not in my experience anyways. you can always try it out on your own yard first or someone's yard you know just to test it out. the grasses here are probably different than those where you live. i just bought some oregon g6 gator blades but havent' tried them out yet. they basically mulch the clippings up before they are side discharged which would give you the same effect as mulching almost. all i've used up to this point is regular high lift blades and i haven't had any trouble with clippings on the lawn unless i'm cutting more than 5" off the lawn such as a first time cut or a one time cut deal. if it rains alot then some of my bi-weekly yards might have a few clippings on them when i get done. nothing major. weekly cuts however never have a problem with clippings.

H & M Yard Improvements
02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Mulching saves time yes. I charge about another 5-10 bucks more just in case I have to bag which isn't that often. Only time I really bag in in the spring or in the fall. Summertime it's start up and git er done! In July or August in the hot sun who wants to stop to empty a bag? If I can help it, not me. Do what I gotta do and get the hell out of there. Not only that but time = money!
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
02-03-2012, 10:02 PM
You have to look at what your customers want because in the end the customer is always right.

Bagging is an easy way to ensure that the lawn always looks good when you are done. You won't have to go around blowing away clumps or blowing tons of debris off the driveway/walkway. The issue with bagging comes when it is time to dispose of the clippings. Sure, it is easy to spread the clippings in the woods at the customer's house or throwing them in the back of the truck or on the trailer. But you will need to put all that grass somewhere, and a full pile of grass takes time to unload from your trailer at the end of the day, plus finding a place to dispose of the grass should you have to haul it away (which is usually the case). So for bagging, it is typically an extra charge for many customers. I know some people who have increased their bagging surcharge so new customers are less likely to have them bag.

Mulching is a pretty easy thing to do, no big expensive bagging systems needed, just a simple and relatively cheap mulching kit. Mulching is actually the healthiest for a lawn, returning nutrients to the soil. It has to be done right (with mulching kit). There are a couple issues that may result from mulching though. With mulching it is very easy to splatter grass all over a driveway and make it hard to clean the concrete off. Also if your mower doesn't have sufficient power, it can make it quite difficult to power through heavier grass. And lastly, when it is wet or the grass is longer than normal (if you mow every other week) you will notice clumps and an overall decrease in the quality of cut. You will find that with mulching does make you have to slow down when mowing in order to maintain a quality cut. But in the end, you don't have to worry about emptying your trailer full of grass at the end of the day.

Side discharging is the absolute easiest thing to do. And yes, for the most part as long as you maintain your lawns regularly, side discharging will be fine. But in the end, this can still leave clumps depending on the grass you cut, conditions you cut in and the mowing deck you have. I don't care if you have a Scag Velocity deck, Toro Turboforce deck or John Deere 7iron deck...any deck will clump in the right conditions. Some decks clump easier than others. But side discharging is easy, you don't need anything extra to do it. But you do risk shooting clippings into planting beds and then you will need to clean out those beds.

I don't care what anyone says, you can NOT get a lawn as clean as you do when you bag. Yes, mulching and side discharging can leave a lawn looking very nice and clean, but there is absolutely no way to get mulching or discharging to leave a lawn as clean as when you bag. I've been doing this for several years and can vouch for that.

jrsimpson77
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Thank you I really appreciate all the helpful info. We have the dump with the green waist in my area to take all lawn clippings...Not to far of a drive but does of course take time when I could be out on the mower making money. And you're right on the money there....the customer is always right. Guess I could always put in my suggestion to mulch or side discharge but of course I'll do whatever they want.

Thanks again all.

Florida Gardener
02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Bagging is NONEXISTENT in Florida. I have never ever had a customer ask me to bag. Mulching and SD are common practice here. Our main grasses dont need bagging. St Augustine is easy to mulch and if SDing, gators will chop it up nice. On sports turf(zoysia and Bermuda) a reel with grass catcher is common practice.
Posted via Mobile Device