PDA

View Full Version : John Deer 21" Commercial mower... Anyone use this???

Jlawnmow
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I know John Deer came out with a 21" commercial mower last year and I'm thinking about getting a few of them this summer. I was wanting to know though if any of you have used this mower and if so what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Mowingman
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
You will have to change your plans. JD has canned the production of commercail 21" mowers. They are no longer available. If you are determined to buy one, or more, you might be able to have your dealer do a search to see if other dealers have any leftovers.

Jimslawncareservice
02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Last summer i went to buy one. Dealer said there was a lot of problems with them, and he wasn't convinced that they were worth the money. Looked at Deeres residential 21 when I was there, then called my exmark dealer. I got a great deal on an x series 21 and a new echo 770 h blower. Never regretted it. I think deere could make a good 21 in house instead of subbing it out, and also if they didn't need such huge profit margins on thier smaller landscape/ mower item stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
John Deere is now contracted with Honda for their small equipment. Deere dealers will be stocking Honda mowers, power washers, snowblowers, etc., instead of the John Deere branded ones.

It is news to me that Deere has stopped production of the commercial 21" models. I was just thinking about a new 21" the other day. My John Deere sz14 21" is from 1994 so I know that when it does go, it shouldn't really be a surprise since it has been used regularly since new. I really liked the features on the new commercial 21" models from Deere and was curious as to weather or not they would still produce them after the contract with Honda.

I would bet that if you wanted a 21" commercial from JD, your dealer could find you one. They seemed to have their fair share of problems. I hadn't heard too much about them, but the problems didn't seem to be significant, just seemed like a lot of little things (like problems with the wheels).

burnsyscapes
02-03-2012, 09:54 PM
yes deere is now with honda for their small equipment, but, they will still be making js26 36 mowers for lowes, home depot and other department stores, as far as commercial they are with honda, just like how they canned their wee eaters and such and came on with stihl.

weeze
02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
that's cool with me. when the time comes i'll buy a honda commercial mower if needed. they are the best anyways. noone around me sells honda commercial mowers so if deere starts i'll have somewhere to buy one. home depot doesn't sell the commercial ones.

lawnboy dan
02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
not suprized to hear its gone allready. wasnt a good value for the $. just a eastman painted green. jd needs to bring back the jx85

scotts lawn care
02-04-2012, 10:43 AM
My paperwork is with my cpa, so i dont know the model #. I bought the home owners 21" J.D. last spring from my dealer. I like it. I only use it on the crazy steep hills on a couple lake properties, so it should last quite a few years for us. I can use my ztraks on the not so steep properties if im careful.

yardsmart
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/commercial_walk_and_stand_on_mowers/commercial_walk_behind_mowers_series/we85/we85.page

retrodog
02-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Briggs had deere's contract on the 21" mowers. Good little mowers, although they are $100 more than the other brands that have the same mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/commercial_walk_and_stand_on_mowers/commercial_walk_behind_mowers_series/we85/we85.page

that looks basically the same as an exmark 21". it has the same kawasaki engine on it. exmark also comes with a honda engine. really i think it's kindof dumb that every company has the same mower almost. why can't kawasaki, briggs, and honda just make the 21" mowers and the other companies just stay out of it? i understand on the ztr mowers and such they just provide engines. they don't actually make ztrs. they do however make 21" mowers.

Roger
02-04-2012, 09:48 PM
The JD WE85 and the Exmark X may have a similar motor, but a major difference is the JD has a three speed transmission, the Exmark has a single speed. The height adjustments look to be different as well.

Chevy z71
02-04-2012, 10:32 PM
I have a 1994 john deere silver deck 14sx its been a great mower it still starts up frist pull but other things on it are wore out so im going to get a new honda HRC this spring.

weeze
02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
The JD WE85 and the Exmark X may have a similar motor, but a major difference is the JD has a three speed transmission, the Exmark has a single speed. The height adjustments look to be different as well.

meh variable speed is best. or simply no transmission at all. just push it. that way you dont' have to worry about the transmission going out down the road. shouldn't be using a 21" to mow very much grass anyways so why do you need self-propelled?

Razorblades
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
meh variable speed is best. or simply no transmission at all. just push it. that way you dont' have to worry about the transmission going out down the road. shouldn't be using a 21" to mow very much grass anyways so why do you need self-propelled?

You are just kidding with those statements...Right?

weeze
02-06-2012, 12:37 AM
no i'm not but then again the most i ever use a pushmower is 15min or less on a yard. :laugh:

mowerbrad
02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
But you have to realize that just becuse you only use a 21" mower for 15 minutes or less, doesn't mean that other people won't be using it for over 30 minutes at a time and use it multiple times during the day. Heck, there are plenty of companies who use only 21" mowers and nothing else.

I have done accounts where I have to use the 21" for 30 minutes and others for only 10 minutes. I wouldn't want to actually push the mower, especially when I have had a long day, so a self propelled model is my only option (which I'm sure is the same with most other people).

Jimslawncareservice
02-06-2012, 08:44 PM
I put atleast 5-6 hours a week on my 21. I have some really steep hills and couldn't imagine no self propel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I just rebuilt a JS63 and a JS63c today.(Carb. Kits and lube jobs) I've had both machines for about twelve years. They mulch really well, but weigh too much.

The transmissions only last about a year or two, but that's using them forty hours a week for 40 weeks (9months)

I use them for back up right now.

weeze
02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
But you have to realize that just becuse you only use a 21" mower for 15 minutes or less, doesn't mean that other people won't be using it for over 30 minutes at a time and use it multiple times during the day. Heck, there are plenty of companies who use only 21" mowers and nothing else.

I have done accounts where I have to use the 21" for 30 minutes and others for only 10 minutes. I wouldn't want to actually push the mower, especially when I have had a long day, so a self propelled model is my only option (which I'm sure is the same with most other people).

yeah i guess. i just figured guys that mowed more than 15min or so would just use a walkbehind mower or something. i had a 1/2 acre yard at my old house i lived at and all i had was a pushmower. i mowed it but it took 2hrs. :laugh: i'd mow the front yard in the morning and the back in the evening. i can't imagine anyone would use a pushmower to mow that much or more everyday in a business. why would you not have a walkbehind or something bigger? using a 21" is hardly productive unless it's a tiny yard or those island things at malls. actually most around here have done away with grass islands and just made them all mulch.

living Green Property
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah my buddy had one and had nothing but problems with it. Im not sure what model you have but I know it cost him $1800 it was one of the commercial models. It was in the shop non stop for clutch springs. Then it was striping gears out and then the motor froze and then they had to shimmy the motor because it was kicking belts. Not what I would expect for a $1800 lawn mower.lol to be hones go to homedepo and get a 150 mower run it hard for a couple years then sell it for $75 and get a new one.lol

Razorblades
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
yeah i guess. i just figured guys that mowed more than 15min or so would just use a walkbehind mower or something. i had a 1/2 acre yard at my old house i lived at and all i had was a pushmower. i mowed it but it took 2hrs. :laugh: i'd mow the front yard in the morning and the back in the evening. i can't imagine anyone would use a pushmower to mow that much or more everyday in a business. why would you not have a walkbehind or something bigger? using a 21" is hardly productive unless it's a tiny yard or those island things at malls. actually most around here have done away with grass islands and just made them all mulch.

I also use a 21" mower as little as possible, but I do have to use one on a few small areas and a couple of long ditches when it is too spongy to get a rider or ZT in them, which is usually until about late June. I would hate to mow that with a push mower that wasn't self propelled.

Like a couple of previous posters said, there are alot of companies that mainly use 21" self propelled mowers and quite a few that use them on small commercial businesses (Banks...etc) where they have sodded turfgrass that gets watered regularly in the summer and would probably rut with heavier mowers on them.

Stating your opinion about whether you would use a push/self propelled mower over 15 minutes is fine, but to say that no one should use a self propelled mower over 15 minutes is a little presumptuous and maybe overstepping the intent of giving advice and opinions on this topic.

weeze
02-06-2012, 11:15 PM
i'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I'm just stating what i do and what i would do if i was in the same situation. why can't you mow a bank using a walkbehind instead of a 21"?
i'm just trying to help here. don't take me the wrong way. here where i am if the ditches are spongy then it's too wet to cut the yard. i wait until the ditches and the yards are dry before i cut.

Razorblades
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
i'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I'm just stating what i do and what i would do if i was in the same situation. why can't you mow a bank using a walkbehind instead of a 21"?
i'm just trying to help here. don't take me the wrong way. here where i am if the ditches are spongy then it's too wet to cut the yard. i wait until the ditches and the yards are dry before i cut.

It wouldn't make much sense for me to buy a walk behind to mow15 minutes worth of ditches, now would it?? If it was cost effective for me to use a walk behind for my amount of push( self propelled) mowing, then I would already have one.

Here where I am..., this road ditch is 3-5 feet lower than the highway on one side, and about 5 -8 ft lower than the Church Parking lot on the other side. That means runoff water and general seepage into the bottom of the ditches in the spring and into the early summer when we have avg. rainfall. When it's really wet, I have to weed eat it and as it drys out I will use the 21" mower. Later on in the year I switch to a 48" rider (Ingersoll) with ag tread tires on the rear and late in the summer when it gets dry, I can do the bottom with one of my Zero turns. It works out fine for me.

The rest of the church property is higher ground that is not soft or spongy when the ditches are wet, so it is not too wet to mow the rest of the property in those conditions.

Most of the other few places that I use the 21" are too tight for a 30+" walk behind.

Your reply in post #14 said that "shouldn't be using a push mower to mow very much grass, so why do you need a self propelled?" That sounds to me like you're telling other people what they should and shouldn't use.... or maybe second guessing their implied use of a self propelled mower, not what you would do. If that's not what you mean't, that's the way I, and a couple of others evidently took it.

Not trying to argue over this, just trying to get you to see that some people need different types/sizes of mowers for specialty jobs than others and just because it is not what you would use on your accounts doesn't make it wrong for them. Remember, there are quite a few of us on this forum with serveral years of experience at this, also.:)

jbell36
02-07-2012, 01:21 AM
wait, so john deere has already stopped production on the we85? not to be confused with the jx85?

ralph02813
02-07-2012, 06:54 AM

But Jason, if we all had the ability to wait until everything is nice and dry for most of my client base my season would not start until June and end in Sept. So one of the big lesson I have learned here to make sure I state in my circumstance and or for me - there is another thread here that started a couple of days ago about 21" mowers, someone suggest the hivac snapper if you are bagging - I think both you and I have commented in numerous threads about clogging!!
Every Wed. (in season) I put my 21 on the truck, I have one half acre property which doesn't come out of the shade until noon. I have multiply areas with gardens 3 feet apart - I have to run my 21 ferris hi vac up these rows/hills and then back again, I fill the bag on each run, without the hivac (and the amount of grass it packs into the bag) and being self propelled, I would have to have my barrell staged along the way to empty grass catcher on just about any non self propelled 21 inch.
When you consider, that I have already done 5 properties with my 36 and have 4 more to go after that one - pick anyone of the 90 degree days with 90 percent humidity and someone would be calling 911:dancing:

lawnboy dan
02-07-2012, 07:44 AM
deere never built the we85-it is built by eastman-just painted green

weeze
02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
:laugh: i understand that people's needs are different than mine. i was trying to say that I don't have a need for a self propelled mower and i wouldn't understand why someone would use a pushmower to cut longer than 15min or so. i was basing this on my experience and where i live. i'm sure alot of you have different experience and that's ok. if it were me i wouldn't use a pushmower for an hour i would just invest in a walkbehind mower that would cut the time down to 30min or less. i realize certain situations that's not possible. it's ok really. i've come to understand that everything i say on here gets taken out of context and taken the wrong way so i'm kindof used to it. it's kindof ironic because it seems most of the time people on here are trying to tell me how to do things. i simply try to offer advice. take it or leave it. if you don't agree with me that's fine. just say you don't agree and let it be.

ralph02813
02-08-2012, 07:58 AM
:laugh: i understand that people's needs are different than mine. i was trying to say that I don't have a need for a self propelled mower and i wouldn't understand why someone would use a pushmower to cut longer than 15min or so. i was basing this on my experience and where i live. i'm sure alot of you have different experience and that's ok. if it were me i wouldn't use a pushmower for an hour i would just invest in a walkbehind mower that would cut the time down to 30min or less. i realize certain situations that's not possible. it's ok really. i've come to understand that everything i say on here gets taken out of context and taken the wrong way so i'm kindof used to it. it's kindof ironic because it seems most of the time people on here are trying to tell me how to do things. i simply try to offer advice. take it or leave it. if you don't agree with me that's fine. just say you don't agree and let it be.

Jason, sometimes when you say things you remind me of my ex. :hammerhead: it may not be what you say, but the context in way has a tendancy to put the other person down, not directly - like you don't say your and idiot buddy, but you do say I couldn't imagine anyone doing that - different words, same statement.

I don't mean to single you out, but you kind of ask the question. I think many of us don't take the necessary time to completely frame our answer before we through it out there.

Not to go on, but I feel the need to clarify. How many threads have we seen in that last month that talk about the best mower. Generally buried in all the response someone tries to ask the question about grass type, ground type, lot size and hilliness.

weeze
02-08-2012, 10:54 PM
i tried telling people they were idiots and such but the posts just got deleted. :laugh: i never try to put people down or at least that's not my intent. i think that's just a forum for you. every post i read it seems like people are putting me down. it's something about text that makes it seem that way. not sure what it is. theres no emotion in text. no body language. etc.

it doesn't bother me if someone wants to use a 21" mower to cut 10 acres. if that's what they wanna do then so be it. i just state my opinion on the matter. it's not what i would do. all i can post on here is what i would personally do, my opinions, my thoughts, my experience, and my situation. i have no idea about everyone else's. we are all different. none of us do things the exact same way. it's up to the OP of each thread to take all the opinions and then decide for themselves what would work best for them in their situation. i may never do snow removal but i could still have an opinion about it. it doesn't mean the poster has to accept it, agree with it, or use it in their business. it's their choice and their decision to make. i think there are 100 different opinions about any topic on here. you can't just ask a question and get a simple, straight, totally right answer. things just don't work that way anymore. there's alot more grey area now than there used to be. it used to be if someone said this is a good product it was. now you can say that and it will be true for you but then someone else will go buy it and have troubles out of it so it's false for them. so who is right? both of them are. :laugh:

i can only speak of my own experience. i never use a pushmower for more than 15min or so and i can't see any reason to. as of right now i don't use a pushmower at all. the one customer's yard i used it on has moved and i no longer mow their yard. i've never used a 21" just to mow ditches so i can't relate to that. there may come a time down the road where i have to use it for a different task. at that time i would have experience in using it in that manner and might agree with the other poster.

it's pretty simple. what is right for me isn't right for everyone else and what is right for everyone else isn't right for me. you and i may have things in common but we also are gonna have things that are different. no two people or companies are alike. so we all will never totally think exactly the same about everything. it's ok. :D

when someone asks a question on here they are gonna get 100 different answers. it's up to them to choose what they think would work best for them in their situation. noone on here no matter how experienced can tell you what will work for you in your situation. only you can decide for yourself what is best for you.

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Ybravo 25. Honda gxv 160 engine. Mows wet grass really well plus a wider cut over a 21".
Posted via Mobile Device

yardmanlee
02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
not suprized to hear its gone allready. wasnt a good value for the $. just a eastman painted green. jd needs to bring back the jx85

Still have a JX85 one of the best of all time!!!

All_Toro_4ME
02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I also use a 21" mower as little as possible, but I do have to use one on a few small areas and a couple of long ditches when it is too spongy to get a rider or ZT in them, which is usually until about late June. I would hate to mow that with a push mower that wasn't self propelled.

Like a couple of previous posters said, there are alot of companies that mainly use 21" self propelled mowers and quite a few that use them on small commercial businesses (Banks...etc) where they have sodded turfgrass that gets watered regularly in the summer and would probably rut with heavier mowers on them.

Stating your opinion about whether you would use a push/self propelled mower over 15 minutes is fine, but to say that no one should use a self propelled mower over 15 minutes is a little presumptuous and maybe overstepping the intent of giving advice and opinions on this topic.

Jason: You should ask this guy to be your mentor. He along with many others have a very valid use for 21's. Larger decks aren't the best tool for ditches, especially if they're soggy and pretty steep. You'll either bottom out your machine, rut it up like crazy or make one hell of a mess. And agreeing with another poster on this thread, you do seem to make a lot of statements that generalize a majority of the members on this forum as "idiots"

weeze
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
i use my ztr on every ditch i cut. larger decks like 60-72" are not good for ditches but i have a 54" which works great. if the ditch is soggy then i don't cut the yard. i wait a few days until it's dry and then cut it. the ditch's here don't stay wet all of the time. if they are wet it has rained and the yard is wet as well. if the ditches are wet a 21" will make marks in the ditch as well so i don't see how that would make any difference. i've never seen one lawn care owner or even a howeowner here pull out a 21" just to mow their ditch so in my experience that is nonsense. things may be different elsewhere in the world but that is not of my concern since i don't live there. why use a 21" when you can cut the ditch with your ztr mower? that just doesn't make any sense to me. i'm sorry but i don't agree with that way of doing things. why make 5 passes with a 21" when i can cut all the ditches in 2 passes on the ztr and get the same result?

you guys simply comment about "your" situation and what works for "you". YOUR situation has nothing to do with me and my situation. i'm sorry you fail to see that but for me and my situation i disagree with that method of cutting a ditch. :D

rmslawns
02-16-2012, 12:20 AM
I was talking to my JD dealer today about a new push mower. I have always had one, usually basic ones that give me a few years. I do not use them much now but still need one for a few small areas inside gates etc. Looking at a js36. I actually like the deck height adjuster and they are 22". One lever beats doing all four. Dealer has about 12 in stock. Not commercial ones so to speak, but will fit my need. 399.00. Hustler commercial push mower is 1100.00 and heavy as heck.

professional
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
I have a js46. Fantastic for mulching, great side discharge, terrible for bagging. Not at all heavy duty, but what I use it for, it's good. This is season 3 and only replaced wheel after hitting some sort of metal item that cut one front wheel in half. Be careful when 'resting' the front end on a curb to raise (jocky) it up onto the next level. The blade is slightly lower than the deck in front and will hit it before the deck.

lawnboy dan
02-16-2012, 08:40 AM
the low preiced deere 21 used to be decent mowers and could handle light comm duty. i have several and they preform very well but deere has gone to a personal pace type drive and no longer offers the 3 speed models. keep this in mind

dvgross
02-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I bought a couple jx75's a few years ago, and I believe they stopped making them that year (09?) I bought them from a friend who owns a Deere dealership here in Colorado, and he said at the time he would not buy any other 21" mower Deere sold. Actually said they are junk. I'm going w a Honda 21" when this one kicks the bucket.

lawnboy dan
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
they wernt junk till they went personal pace. they were far better for the $ than other low priced mowers

cgaengineer
02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I looked at the JD 21" at our local store and thought to myself why in the hell did they make it so dang heavy...my Snapper works great, lightweight, powerful, infinite variable speeds and inexpensive.
Posted via Mobile Device

joed
08-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Any updates on the John Deere WE85? I saw one at my local dealer today. Very impressive looking machine but it was heavy...136 lbs was its listed weight.

mowerbrad
08-01-2012, 10:45 PM
John Deere has since stopped offering the commercial 21" mowers as well as residential 21" mowers. In addition to taking out the 21's from the line-up they have also taken out the majority (if not all) of their small engine machines (powerwashers, generators, etc). John Deere has teamed up with Honda to offer their lines in John Deere dealerships. You may still see some remaining/leftover model John Deere equipment but Honda has replaced those machines.

Per John Deere, they stopped offering the smaller equipment to focus more on some of their other current products and improve those. I'm not sure if John Deere will ever come back out with their own 21" mower, but for now and the foreseeable future, Honda will be offered in most of their dealerships.

Tennesseepowerstroke
08-03-2012, 12:25 AM
I would run from the John Deere WE85. I would make you a terrific deal on a slightly used one.

Tennesseepowerstroke
08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I have been trying to get my WE85 bought back or replaced for a year. It has been in the shop for weeks at a time on numerous occasions. The Kawasaki engine has used 11 oz of oil in the last 33 hours. This is after the rings were replaced. There have been numberous problems with the mower and it has 140 hours on it. The John Deere rep has offered a new engine or a $500 buy back. I have owned John Deere products for the last 30 years but would not even consider a new product from them. For $500 I might just take it to the dealer, open the gas cap and drop a match in it. Piss poor product and piss poor service to back it up.

Go with a Honda or an Xmark.