PDA

View Full Version : Bed edger

ruffcutter24
02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
What is the best bed edger for price and quality? Does anyone use them? Only commercial properties? Thanks

Golden Boy
02-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Claw type edger works well for dry locations. Disk type works well when you need to remove the spoils. If the site is dry the claw type edger works great bc you can just blow out the edge to clean it up. Nothing is cheap or easy

bls47303
02-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Best bed edger ive used by far has been the Blue Bird bed bug and ive used them all.

grass-scapes
02-04-2012, 01:41 PM
For the price? Shovel with ash handle.

For quality? Brown Bed Edger

chips17
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
why only use them on commercial? thats dumb use it everywhere

living Green Property
02-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Bed shapers are amazing they will save your life. We have 2 we have a disk and a claw. The claw is more for redoing an edge. The disk we use for more new installs. If I had to buy one id get the claw. The disk style is from little wonder. It is a tank it takes 3 guys to lift it onto a pickup truck. The claw style is nice for just throwing on to truck and rolling. I can lift the claw style it myself. U can use the claw style to put in new edges it just bogs down a little. And the claw is from bantam I got it new for $1800 ware as I paid $4200 for the little wonder. The little wonder is self-propelled which is nice but itís hard to maneuver. And itís hard to train new guys on. Most the time new guys use the disk it looks like a drunk did it. The claw is not self-propelled but itís so light itís not a problem. The claw is so much more user friendly and its easier for new guys to get the hand of it. U can use the disk for redoing beds but it leaves a strip of sod that you have to pick up. Which is a pain but the claw grinds it up and no clean up so you can move faster which in the spring every hour counts. Like I said Iíd go with the claw style first. If you do almost all new installs id go disk otherwise claw all the way. This spring rent one of each and see which one you like the most.

living Green Property
02-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Oh yeah I use it for everything even like 30 feet of flower bed u can do about 60 feet a min. So think of it takes you 10 min to bed edge ware as using a hand edger takes 3 hours. U will be more efficient and beat out the guys who are charging $35 and hour to do it by hand. I charge by the foot for bed edging.

ruffcutter24
02-07-2012, 07:37 AM
It looks like the claw attaches to a weed eater? The gears inside the shaft don't strip? What Line trimmer are you running?

OneLineAtATime
02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Great Thread... I'm getting the popcorn..

I'm in the market for a bed edger as well.

I'm sold on the bed bug by blue bird. No clean up behind it, cuts like butter

ruffcutter24
02-07-2012, 07:57 AM
What's the price for that, upkeep? We should try and including pricing and maintance that will help make a decision on quality and price

living Green Property
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Well you can get one from echo that attaches to a weed eater but they are junk they donít do a good job there called redefines. We used one on time and it was hard to make a straight line. It would pry be fine if you only use it for a small property. But if u try to use it day in and out you just wound be happy with it. to be honest not much oild spark plug and air filter once or twice a year. so maybe $20 then every 5 or 6 seasons we replace the blad so thats $60 and we never have had to replace any belts on any of our units

Heres the Bantam
http://brownproducts.com/Products/BedEdger_Bantam.htm

Heres the little wonder
http://littlewonder.com/lw-bedshaper.asp