PDA

View Full Version : What workers comp. insurance company?

johnnybow
02-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Im looking for workers comp for a guy im picking up this year to work for me. It would be seasonal from april to nov. Any recomendations on which insurance company would give me a good price? And how much should i expect to pay? thanks john

lbmd1
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
You might want to check into an employee leasing company that handles all that including taxes and workers comp. You basically lease your employees from them and they take care of all the expenses. Cost a little more but no worries. Our comp is $3300 a year on a payroll based on 30k. Very important to tell them what exactly you do as the more stuff like using chainsaws, heavy equipment and factors like that raise your rates. Probably figure somewhere around $10-$16 per thousand payroll.

Mike

gene gls
02-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Im looking for workers comp for a guy im picking up this year to work for me. It would be seasonal from april to nov. Any recomendations on which insurance company would give me a good price? And how much should i expect to pay? thanks john

Talk with your present insurance rep to get the full facts. Its a persentage of payroll.

nepatsfan
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
we pay about 4 dollars per hundred. I'm not sure how to get 10-16 per thousand but you would be lucky to get that rate for an office job around here.
We use the hartford. I use paychex for payroll and they take out the exact amount we owe every week. No audit at the end of the year.

lbmd1
02-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Sorry meant per hundred.

VSeefeld
02-12-2012, 04:44 PM
I was contacted by a national property management firm about several properties in our service area. Fantastic! Then I read the contract. The client requires $2m liability AND workman's comp...so I increased the $1m liability no problem. With fingers crossed, I asked my agent to speak directly with the client. He's been able to get commercial clients to waive the WC in the past because we're so small (< 5 full time employees). No such luck. I go into full stress mode thinking we'll lose this opportunity because of the crazy cost of workman's comp. My agent referred me to his wife, an independent agent, who works through dozens of insurance companies. This woman came through in spades. We now have workman's comp with The Hartford for $2,365 a year! At less than $200 month its not a bad investment for $3k month increased revenue. The property management company is expanding and we're their supplier for everything in our service area. The client is even happier that we offer one stop shopping with landscaping, lawn care and licensed irrigation.
Now I'm spending my time reading contracts, inspecting properties and submitting work orders for jobs above and beyond the basic contract scope. If you need liability or WC coverage, I highly recommend calling Nancy Heaton, Vice President, Anderson Insurance Partners, L. P. 512.372.8311. After a dismal winter this has been a blessing!