PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

smallstripesnc
02-04-2012, 12:00 PM
I have a new client who asked me to clean out my mower deck so no weed seeds get in his grass and to have super sharp blades for his lawn. He has a well taken care of lawn so I kind of understand his concern.

He told me the last guy had dull blades and the grass had white tips and I did agree with him that the blade should always be sharp when cutting and I sharpen my blades every three days or so.

I've never heard of washing the deck to prevent weed seeds from other lawns getting in his lawn.

Lefet
02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I can understand the concern, we always blow off the machines after each property to reduce the opportunity of transferring weeds, but washing the deck BEFORE I cut your property? I don't think so.

And yes, ALWAYS sharp blades!!

weaver
02-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I have a new client who asked me to clean out my mower deck so no weed seeds get in his grass and to have super sharp blades for his lawn. He has a well taken care of lawn so I kind of understand his concern.

He told me the last guy had dull blades and the grass had white tips and I did agree with him that the blade should always be sharp when cutting and I sharpen my blades every three days or so.

I've never heard of washing the deck to prevent weed seeds from other lawns getting in his lawn.

Yes it sounds like he's a little picky but with a nice lawn i don't blame him. Yes you can carry disease from one lawn to another. Say you mow one lawn full of weeds you can carry it to the next lawn you mow. so it's always a good idea to clean out from under the deck, and your wright as far as the dull blades. Mow one week and it looks good and when you come back the next the tips of the grass are all white from tearing not cutting.

smallstripesnc
02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I have never thought about seeds transferring from a lawn full of weeds to a well taken care of lawn.

I did agree with him about it and he did seem to be a little picky but I don't blame him if he spent a lot of money on his lawn.

I always try to keep my blades sharp and I assured him of that. I actually have already cut a property that the guy he hired before me had super dull blades and left the white tips.

weaver
02-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I have never thought about seeds transferring from a lawn full of weeds to a well taken care of lawn.

I did agree with him about it and he did seem to be a little picky but I don't blame him if he spent a lot of money on his lawn.

I always try to keep my blades sharp and I assured him of that. I actually have already cut a property that the guy he hired before me had super dull blades and left the white tips.

Same here i just try to keep good sharp blades and i usally just blow the machines off before going to the next job.

ecurbthims
02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I had a customer ask me to wipe my blades with alcohol before starting her lawn ,she supplied everything and it only took a few seconds and she was happy to pay an extra $20.00 for this .

Ijustwantausername
02-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I completely understand his concerns for weed transfer, BUT make sure you figure that into the price. For me, he would get what I call the crazy price. Because you more than likely will have to cut his first in the day, unless you clean the deck out after doing some lawns, which isn't something I would ever do on a 90+ degree day, especially on the road.

Even then, weeds will get transferred into the lawn not caused by you, unless he spends top dollar on treatments, fert, and irrigation. Make sure he's mindful of that.

ReddensLawnCare
02-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I have 4 larger properties that are all weeds that I have had since I started. I try to get those done last during the week and I always clean out the deck afterwards. I also keep a 2 gallon weed sprayer in my truck during the summer so that if i mow a yard with a fungus, I will spray underneath really good before I go to the next property that does not have it. It may not do anything, but I feel it should, so I will keep doing it. Another thing I have done is made requirements for my customers. ALL of my customers except for those 4 mentioned at the beginning have a weed control program in place by me or another reputable company. (not Trugreen)

smallstripesnc
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I completely understand his concerns for weed transfer, BUT make sure you figure that into the price. For me, he would get what I call the crazy price. Because you more than likely will have to cut his first in the day, unless you clean the deck out after doing some lawns, which isn't something I would ever do on a 90+ degree day, especially on the road.

Even then, weeds will get transferred into the lawn not caused by you, unless he spends top dollar on treatments, fert, and irrigation. Make sure he's mindful of that.

Thanks for the heads up! I will try to cut his lawn first and remind him that weeds will still get into his lawn not caused by me. Just to cover my butt!

scotts lawn care
02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I had one high end customer ask for my deck and blades to be rinsed off before i would mow his lawn. I did it because he was a very nice, good customer. Thats the only one that ever asked for it.

unkownfl
02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
It is far more likely that wind alone will transfer more than your mower would. At least here. You Can get a small hose fitting to spray up into the deck and just turn the blades on.

smallstripesnc
02-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I have 4 larger properties that are all weeds that I have had since I started. I try to get those done last during the week and I always clean out the deck afterwards. I also keep a 2 gallon weed sprayer in my truck during the summer so that if i mow a yard with a fungus, I will spray underneath really good before I go to the next property that does not have it. It may not do anything, but I feel it should, so I will keep doing it. Another thing I have done is made requirements for my customers. ALL of my customers except for those 4 mentioned at the beginning have a weed control program in place by me or another reputable company. (not Trugreen)

Thats a good idea to spray the deck after cutting a lawn with a fungus. Is it hard to get clients to pay for a weed control program? My issue is I don't have a pesticide license so I can't do any weed control. It sucks not being able to spray some weed killer I can buy at home depot because I don't have a pesticide license =/.

I would be afraid to tell a client to go somewhere else for weed control because a lot of the company's that offer weed control programs also do lawn maintenance.

I wish there was a organic method to get rid of weeds. Something you can spray or spread on the lawn without killing the grass.

OneLineAtATime
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Wow.. i've never herd of anything like that. I would never work with a customer like that. Asking for many phone calls and issues..

Who has the time for dealing with crap like that

bel-nor
02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm with Reddens I do the services with more weed problems last according to the severity of the infestation. However weeds or not the blades are always sharp. Even a weed field looks better when serviced with sharp blades!

ReddensLawnCare
02-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Thats a good idea to spray the deck after cutting a lawn with a fungus. Is it hard to get clients to pay for a weed control program? My issue is I don't have a pesticide license so I can't do any weed control. It sucks not being able to spray some weed killer I can buy at home depot because I don't have a pesticide license =/.

I would be afraid to tell a client to go somewhere else for weed control because a lot of the company's that offer weed control programs also do lawn maintenance.

I wish there was a organic method to get rid of weeds. Something you can spray or spread on the lawn without killing the grass.

Why dont you go get your pesticide license? It is relatively cheap and worth every penny. Just charge accordingly. It is an easy sell for customers of mine because I dont take customers who are not willing to do do a squirt and fert program. It makes me look bad to prospective customers. I am not saying this to me mean, but I took a look at your website, and it says you start out at 20 bucks per yard full service visit. That is really really low, and with those prices you are most likely not getting high end customers, rather, cheap people who dont really care about their turf

Patriot Services
02-04-2012, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't even go there. It just sets you up for when a weed inevitably sprouts. You will be the fall guy. No yard is 100% pest free and nature always wins. Weed control is the pest guys job. Good cultural practices on your part will be sharp blades and proper height.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Im really considering gettiing the license. My hesitation is Ive heard its a time consuming process. Also I dont know anything about the process besides theres a exam. I have no idea where to start.

The reason I start at $20 is thats what a lot of my competition charges. Most of the clients I have dont want to pay much for mowing, edging, line trimming, and blowing everything off. I guess I could try starting at $25 at least.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Are you making money at 20
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
02-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Well not all my lawns are $20. Thats just my starting price. But im trying to get more clients and maybe my starting price is too low and turning clients off.
Posted via Mobile Device

jiggz
02-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Yea Ive had a guy ask me this..I power wash my decks every day we get back anyway.. SO i just put him first on the list or as close to it.. as long as you make the effort known they will be happy.. as far as seeds are concerned.. I can get why they think that, but in reality your gonna get alot more just from the world lol

I will say this, every new lawn we plant or sod job we do.. when its time to mow we always hit those properties first in the morning with clean decks and fresh blades

Wecutgrass
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
this sounds like a very picky customer and will probably complain often.

Groomer
02-04-2012, 04:13 PM
You'll have these clients from time to time. We refer to them as having OCLD (obsessive compulsive lawn disorder).

PROCUT1
02-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I think its more an old wives tale. Ill bet they use TGCL. They are famous for trying everything they can to blame the lawn cutter for their problems

orangemower
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
If they have a good fert and squirt company doing weed control it shouldn't matter.

smallstripesnc
02-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I guess I'll run into a few of these type of clients from time to time.

Ridin' Green
02-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I haven't had anyone else ask me to do that yet, but I do it for myself, and I understand your client completely. I am very fussy about my own lawn, and I clean my deck good, especially underneath, before mowing my yard.

It isn't just an old wives tale that you can spread disease, and/or weeds from one lawn to another either. You can. I used to cut several elderly neighbor ladies lawns that lived on my road for free because they were elderly and that was how I was raised. Every single one of their lawns were full of a couple certain types of weeds. At that time, I didn't cut for a living, so the only other lawn I cut was my own. I have always kept it weed free, but after I started cutting the neighbor ladies lawns for them, I noticed I had started getting those same exact weeds in my lawn. After that, I killed the weeds in my yard, and started scraping the underside of my decks clean, and have never had another weed flush again.

soloscaperman
02-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I think its more an old wives tale. Ill bet they use TGCL. They are famous for trying everything they can to blame the lawn cutter for their problems

So true! They tried blaming me and my customer tells them I do their lawn first and there is no chance of it happening. I told True Green that I am known as the OCD landscaper since I wax my mower and scrap and sharpen the blades every morning.

417lawncare
02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
If he actually wants you to wash your mower EVERYTIME then I would charge him 3-5 dollars more.

Roger
02-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I will try to cut his lawn first and remind him that weeds will still get into his lawn not caused by me. Just to cover my butt!

I think any reminder you give to him will cover nothing. It sounds like he knows more about these matters than you. If you had to come here to ask the question, he is several steps ahead of you already.

lawnprosteveo
02-05-2012, 02:23 PM
I cant see what good that would do...what does this guy thinks happens when the wind blows. Stuff will blow in his yard as much as come from your deck..

BCboy
02-05-2012, 04:34 PM
While this request may not be "normal", I can understand and appreciate his concern to take care of his yard. Im sure he has put a lot of money in to it and wants to protect his investment.
As you know, if you mow while the grass is wet it can and will stick to the underside of your deck. So weed/grass seeds can be transported from yard to yard.
If he insists upon the deck being washed, do it at the end of the day and cut his lawn first thing the next morning with a new blade. Just factor in the extra cost and add to his weekly price.

OneLineAtATime
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Im really considering gettiing the license. My hesitation is Ive heard its a time consuming process. Also I dont know anything about the process besides theres a exam. I have no idea where to start.

The reason I start at $20 is thats what a lot of my competition charges. Most of the clients I have dont want to pay much for mowing, edging, line trimming, and blowing everything off. I guess I could try starting at $25 at least.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Fert on the weekends- 10 years no problems

ReddensLawnCare
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Just Fert on the weekends- 10 years no problems

Huh?
Posted via Mobile Device