PDA

View Full Version : Redhawk Mower Review? and Advice!!

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey, i need advice and a review. I might get a 36in Red Hawk Hydro Mower for $2,150. For me that's a good price, and that's in my range of money i can spend. I will have 20-30 customers, and cut about 10-15 yards a week. I know the mower will last, but i need reviews and advice if you think it's sh** what's another good mower in that price range? Also please don't say the mower is sh**, tell me why if that's your opinion.

normanm4
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
This is the standard answer for brands without a dealer network. When it stops working can you get parts easily/quickly/reasonable price? If you can't figure it out, who is going to fix it? Is there a dealer that will let you try it out...

I don't know that it's bad, it's just more of a mystery. If I can't answer 2 of those three questions above then I am S.O.L. when it breaks down (if I don't have a backup)...

This is where dealer support comes in as well. Can they put a machine under your butt and keep you going in the inevitable moment of breakdown? That's worth quite a bit.

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
So pretty much i need to see if there's a dealer that can service this and get parts? I'm ordering it, and it's being shipped.

normanm4
02-04-2012, 05:59 PM
With a new mower you should be good to go for a while. Not trying to discourage you. Breakdowns just don't announce themselves, have a plan in advance and you'll be good. Can you borrow a mower from someone if you break down? You know, just have a plan B.

Hope its a great mower for you. Good luck!

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
With a new mower you should be good to go for a while. Not trying to discourage you. Breakdowns just don't announce themselves, have a plan in advance and you'll be good. Can you borrow a mower from someone if you break down? You know, just have a plan B.

Hope its a great mower for you. Good luck!

Thanks man! I need to find out if my local dealer services these mowers, and if partsd are easy to get.

lawns Etc
02-04-2012, 06:26 PM
For the same reason I just bought my son a new quad. I looked at the generic ones for ALOT less than name brands but whos going to tell my son Im waiting 3 months for parts to the cheapo quad your daddy bought you. I bit the bullet and bought a Yamaha. Spent double but I can get it worked on easily and parts are readily available. Think of my son and your customers on the same level!!!! Just saying

integrityman
02-04-2012, 06:58 PM
May be made by a Chinese manufacturer??? Not saying as fact though. Id be very hesitant to buy one of these. Do a thread search on it. I know there have been some very contentious threads about Redhawk mowers on LS.

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Yah its chnese i have read threades and half say the mower is good others say no, but more people say it's good the reason its cheaper is not as many features.

jfoxtrot9
02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
A 48" redhawk was one of my first mowers. It was a good mower and gave me no problems. I used it for about 3 years. It is no frills and is quite easy to maintain. Parts seem like they would be easy to get, although I never needed any because it is such a simple machine. Mine had a Kohler Pro Command and Peerless tranny built like 1000's of mowers before it. I think I only replaced a few belts in the time I ran it. Has a pretty decent cut too. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with this mower for the price if you are on a budget. Better than getting in over your head over paying for something that you really don't need!

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
A 48" redhawk was one of my first mowers. It was a good mower and gave me no problems. I used it for about 3 years. It is no frills and is quite easy to maintain. Parts seem like they would be easy to get, although I never needed any because it is such a simple machine. Mine had a Kohler Pro Command and Peerless tranny built like 1000's of mowers before it. I think I only replaced a few belts in the time I ran it. Has a pretty decent cut too. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with this mower for the price if you are on a budget. Better than getting in over your head over paying for something that you really don't need!

Thanks man, this really helped :)

I MOW ALONE
02-04-2012, 10:23 PM
i think the key ? here is how long do you plan on keeping the mower. just know that if you decide to sell it you will have a very hard time selling it. i would say if you decided to sell in 1 year you would lose well over 50%. but if you plan on keeping it for a long time and can get parts then go ahead and try it.

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Okay, thanks. Yah i plan on keeping this for atlead 4 years.

I MOW ALONE
02-04-2012, 10:37 PM
just remember if you buy it and it cuts like poopoo or you just think it is a pos in general. you will lose a lot of $ good luck in your decision

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Do you think it cuts like shi$? i mean its only a residential mower.

jfoxtrot9
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
i think the key ? here is how long do you plan on keeping the mower. just know that if you decide to sell it you will have a very hard time selling it. i would say if you decided to sell in 1 year you would lose well over 50%. but if you plan on keeping it for a long time and can get parts then go ahead and try it.

I would recommend always keeping a mower for at least a couple years. The sole purpose is for you to make money. I know I can make my money on a mower in a couple years easy, so I am not overly concerned with what I can sell it for when I am purchasing a new mower, although it is nice to have some value in your used mower. There is ALWAYS a market for used mowers. I sold my 3 or 4 year old Redhawk in what I would call decent/good condition for $500. I believe that was about a quarter of what I had paid for it.

jfoxtrot9
02-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Do you think it cuts like shi$? i mean its only a residential mower.

This may not be anywhere near top of the line, but it is not a residential mower. It does have a good cut.

CareFreeLawns
02-04-2012, 10:45 PM
This may not be anywhere near top of the line, but it is not a residential mower. It does have a good cut.

Okay, yah i don't need an exmark viking or anything right now, but yah its not the best, but it's up there. Just because it's not name brand doesnt mean its bad.

jfoxtrot9
02-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Okay, yah i don't need an exmark viking or anything right now, but yah its not the best, but it's up there. Just because it's not name brand doesnt mean its bad.

I suspect that I would love an exmark mower, but have never been able to get over the price tag. I still run Ferris and Snapper Pro because they are priced well and I get good service on them around here.

normanm4
02-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I think this has turned out to be a pretty helpful thread. You got a lot of good advice/feedback.

I think the thing a lot of guys worry about is buying something that's not the cadillac of the industry (exmark, scag seem to be the most popular). But remember that the equipment isn't the job (it can help you, it can increase your efficiency) but the operator controls their job quality.

Think of it this way, I could face off with Tiger Woods on the golf course. No doubt, to try and be competitive I will feel pressure to buy the best clubs and balls I can buy so that I "have a chance" of being competitive [insert hilarious laughter here].

Tiger on the other hand decides to give me a sporting chance says that he'll use the cheapest set of beginner clubs he can buy. We all know how this will end... Tiger will kick my ass so bad by the 3rd hole that he'll have extra time to go hit on waitresses in the clubhouse while I finish my round.

A great player with basic equipment can beat the pants off of someone with money and the "right set up" who isn't skilled.

That's what it boils down too. Don't take the people on this board who are "equipment snobs" to heart. They all started somewhere and quite frankly, guys like you take business from guys like that every day of the season. Really.

Thanksman
02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
May be made by a Chinese manufacturer??? Not saying as fact though. Id be very hesitant to buy one of these. Do a thread search on it. I know there have been some very contentious threads about Redhawk mowers on LS.

It is a china job. saw them on ebay. as im starting out i thought about one of these as well. i decided nope. There were a few reviews on you tube on this machine. I believe it does have a honda engine. Good luck my friend.:usflag:

CareFreeLawns
02-05-2012, 11:03 AM
It is a china job. saw them on ebay. as im starting out i thought about one of these as well. i decided nope. There were a few reviews on you tube on this machine. I believe it does have a honda engine. Good luck my friend.:usflag:

It actually has a Kohler engine.

Thanksman
02-05-2012, 11:07 AM
It actually has a Kohler engine.

Listen there are a few on the wise sales website here you will see an ad. Not affiliated in anyway to me, just was looking too. Check the you tube reviews. There is a kid ranting about his redhawk. I did not buy the best equipment. nor did i buy the cheapest. I bought what i could afford as Im the only one using the equipment and im careful.

Thanksman
02-05-2012, 11:10 AM
The ones on wise sales are called reaal lawn. 33in for 1800 with a kawasaki engine. look into it. seems to me they would be better then an ebay mower. you might get some backing from them.