PDA

View Full Version : toro 223d

pete edwards
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I have a 3cyl. mitsubishi diesel that is giving me hot restart problems. When it's cold engine cranks and fires on first attempt. Motor runs strong with plenty of power for as long as you want to cut but if you shut it down you have to let it sit for 15 minutes before it will restart unless you are cranking within 15 seconds of shut down. Oil is manufacturer spec., fuel is fresh, and I even ran some injector cleaner thru it. My glow plug switch does not work so I've just been jumping glow plugs directly off the battery for 10 to 20 seconds. Could this have anything to do with it? Also on hot restart attempts motor turn sluggishly but starter is good and battery is new. Service manual gives nothing on this issue. Thanks for any input.

integrityman
02-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Pete-
Im pretty sure thats a 23 horse Kubota diesel on the toro.....not a Mitsubishi....

You said it cranks slowly. Im wondering if the alternator is not getting a good charge. Closely check the belt tension between the engine and the alternator. It could be that when the engine gets warm, the belt gets slack and doesnt charge the battery. Make sure that the alternator bracket is good and tight too, not cracked & all the bolts are good & tight.

Thoroughly clean all your wiring and all your connections.

Last year had a similar problem with my Toro w/ the 25hp diesel. like a dam ghost to figure it out too. The clutch went south on me.....Then found the alternator bracket had failed. I also cleaned each and every electrical connection. Was a real headachefor a while..... So frustrating.

How many hours are on the machine?

pete edwards
02-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info. It's definitely a mitsubishi. Model is L3E-61tg. Wish I had the kubota motor but I've only seen them on the 228's. I have'nt checked alternator output but I will and belt is worn but staying tight and what I thought was useable. I've seen a few similiar posts on here that are suggesting a valve adjustment which I will look into tomorrow. I'm hesitant though. The service manual says to rotate crank until timing mark on pulley and gear case line up to find TDC on no. 1 cylinder but there is no mark on the pulley only the gear case. Hours on unit are a little over 3000 and I've never adjusted the valves.

ricky86
02-05-2012, 04:57 AM
Checking the charging system is easy enough. I'd also check for a parasitic load (PTO)
I'd do a starter draw test, cold then hot. I would imagine it puffs black smoke when it's
experiencing the cranking issue?

pete edwards
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Black like I was tryin to fire it with coal but once it's up and runnin it clears out. If you have injector issues could it make it difficult to start when hot but run smooth? I check alternator output today both unloaded and under load and everything and it kept right up with no problems. Valves were way out when I checked so that's been corrected. It has definitely helped but Throttle needs to be in perfect position to fire. So I think I've got more than one cause. Guess I'll start lookin in to fuel delivery next.

ricky86
02-07-2012, 12:47 AM
You have anywhere that can check the injectors? With 3000 it's a good place to check. And yes, it can be running rice and still run smooth.

Swampy
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
I expirenced a similar issue at my former job, they had a 96 or 98 223D. If I can remember, the hot start was from people not letting the machine idle down before shutting it down. I want to say it was from the "themrostat" (I know its not called that by toro but acts the same way) was staying closed thus temps staying high and the safety mech tripping and stopping the machine from starting but would still crank.

pete edwards
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I by passed high temp shut down a while back. Not because temp was hot but safety mech was bad and toro was crushing me on the replace. As far as injectors I'm a 100% with you. Don't have a tester for nozzle spray and the cheapest one I can find on ebay is $200. Called today and toro wants 286 an injector to replace. I'll find someone around here to test current nozzles but I hope there not bad but I have a bad feelin. Toro Is killin it. I had a starter silenoid that I got from my starter guy for 28.00 and toro wanted 221.00. He rebuilt a starter this week for a scag I had for 90.00 when I had just bought a new one plus silenoid 2 years ago for 280.00. from my scag dealer. Not tryin to complain but how much money do they think were makin? Anyway if there bad service manual says to replace but can I clean them with any success? I'm the only operater on this machine If I know perfect throttle position on this thing to restart can I continue to run with bad injectors?

ricky86
02-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Pete, you have to check them first.(Time for the "Great God Google"). And yes, they can be cleaned. You're looking to see if they drip. That will cause a hot restart. Sort of like a leaky carb. Also, if you can get a Mitsubishi part number, you may be able to get the parts through a car or truck dealer. We were a Mitsubishi tractor dealer. A lot of the engine parts came in a Mazda package.:dizzy: Mitsubishi parts are extremely expensive. So are Groundmaster parts. Their base is municipalities and golf courses. Both have very deep pockets. BUT...... the injectors might be fine.

jrsavoie
10-12-2014, 11:59 PM
You can get Mitsubishi part, Mahindra parts or several others cheaper than Toro. Mahindra uses the Mitsubishi part numbers

jrsavoie
10-13-2014, 12:00 AM
I am assuming the round holes in the precups for my mitsubishi L3E engine in the Toro are NOT supposed to be through holes.

Looks to me like they probably somehow hold the precups. Is that right or a friend thought that the hole was supposed to be below the glow plugs and there was supposed to be access to the cylinders.

Thanks