PDA

View Full Version : Installing Dropped Axles on a 14 ft Trailer....

Lawn Pawn
02-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Would like to lower the deck height on my 14ft. open trailer. It has stock/straight over the spring 3500# axles now.

Trailer is a couple years old, electric brakes both axels, seems like it should be no problem if I get all the measurements correct before I order axles. This would be swapping axels only, as I have only a few hundred miles on this unit.

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated... or if you think this is a waste of money, let me know. Thanks!

Trailer Parts Superstore
02-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Let us know what the dimensions are, we should have the drop axles you need. Also remember you are going to have change the ball mount on the truck to match the lower height of the trailer.

Lefet
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Why would you want to lower the deck?

Lawn Pawn
02-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Let us know what the dimensions are, we should have the drop axles you need. Also remember you are going to have change the ball mount on the truck to match the lower height of the trailer.

And fenders.... and rails to clear fenders... Plan to modify the trailers hitch.

The springs are 80" on center ... and the outside of the frame is 83". The distance I have now between spring center and backing plate flange is 4.25".

I figure I should have 2" or so clearance between the NEW AXLES drop leg INSIDE measurement to work. So that would be about 83 + 4 = 87 on the new axles. I have the standard 95 / 80 straight axles now.

I intend on using all my related existing components as the trailer is only about a year old.

You check and let me know what you come up with. Thanks.

Lawn Pawn
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Why would you want to lower the deck?

Lessen the approach angle for loading mowers and related equipment.

Easier to jump on and and off for 63 year old knees.