PDA

View Full Version : Bad back-Stand-on mowers?

integrityman
02-04-2012, 07:08 PM
If Im replicating a previous thread I profusely apologize. Repetitive "which Z mower is best" threads are becoming a real pet peeve.

Im having back issues- herniated lumbar disc to be precise.....

Any one else using stand on mowers with disc issues?

Any experiences to share????

task125
02-04-2012, 07:16 PM
I have had back surgery.the stander is way better on my back than a sit down type.my knees act like shocks.

Jason Rose
02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I have lower back issues as well, bottom disk was starting to push out to the side... I generally use sit down zero turns but also have a John Deere stander I use for lot mowing and last year used it for a couple weeks on most lawns. For me the standing didn't do my back any favors, and really wore on my knees and ankles. I have a bum knee and ankle as well (yeah I'm falling apart, have rhumetoid arthritis and am being treated, but the damage was already done). I found it's more comfortable to sit for my situation. I'm also pretty tall, 6'4" and the standers put me up in the trees, literally. All the leaning over, ducking and dodging, don't help.

Five Points
02-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I dont have anyreal back issues but after I bought my grandstand last yr I would get a sore back if on it for extended periods of time (hour or longer).

Not to big of deal, just found it odd as alot of fellas on here said they bought stand on's to help alleviate back issues caused from zero turns.

I find the key is job rotation. My employees probably ride or stand on mowers more than me.

Jason I'm tall as well 6'1", and bonk my melon fair bit also. I prefer my walker :hammerhead:

weeze
02-05-2012, 12:01 AM
get a scag cheetah or a ferris. those will prolly be your best bet.

grassman177
02-05-2012, 01:45 AM
i have herniated discs. gee, wonder why? all the years of rough ground before suspension seats, and then many years of sitting still. standing offers the lesser of the two evils as far as pain goes. we have had standers , and the new ones with springs. also,grandstands. the springs on the wright are more comfy, but the platform on the toro is nicer. either way, the new versions of stand on mowers are gonna be the best thing to use , if you can work at all. i know it gets hard. this work will wear you down.

Exact Rototilling
02-05-2012, 04:48 AM
I have a herniated lumbar disc, additional bulged lumbar disc and another disc injury just above my lumbar region that is far more worrisome than my initial injury and that burns on a constant basis. Not good at all.

I donít think anyone is going to like to hear this but instead of just running a stander mower [vastly better than sitting and mowing] you are frankly better off running a walk behind mower and actually walking your lawns. For many with disc herniation's putting pressure on the nerve roots, including myself, just standing is very irritating and hard on the back. Walking is much better for your back. I do use a sulky but only about 30% of the time.

For all the above reasons I market only to smaller lawns 1/3 acre or less. Iím okay fine with walking and the tiny lawns have better margins IMO anyhow for time spent.

Iíve been comparing notes with others with disc injuries and overall Iíd have to say the medical profession has been doing a piss poor job of getting their patients to avoid further injury. Most still have no clue what caused the initial injury and unknowingly many are going right back to improper lifting and loading of the spine causing more damage.

yardguy28
02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
my dad is a doctor and had a patient who actually hurt his back in this way using a stand on mower.

my dad was concerned when i purchased my first stand on. but it was discovered that the patient uses the mower roughly. going full speed in the worst of conditions (way to bumpy).

grassman177
02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
i hear ya exact, but i aint gonna give up the productivity. flat out, could not get half as much done with wb mowers!

Bunton Guy
02-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I've got a ruptured disc in my back and our wright stander is easier on me then our Z mowers.

Schuley
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
I can't sit on a mower all day. My back will kill, as well as pain shooting down my legs and up into my shoulders. I have a problem with a buldging disc, and I can use our standers with no problems. Although I would agree, if you will be mowing more than an hour at a time then you should invest in an air ride seat on a large Z, or something. I have 1 lawn that I mow with the stander that takes an hour to mow, but its tons of terraces, between beds, around this and that etc... by the time that hour is up i'm ready for a break, but not because my back or knees hurt, Its more of my ADHD kicking in and needing to let go of the grips for a bit. On our resi routes, 15 minutes on the stander, then 10-15 off it for trimming/blowing and drivetime is perfect. No problems with my back from that. My back problems are from hardscapes and tree work.... :)

integrityman
02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
. My back problems are from hardscapes and tree work.... :)

I here ya there!

integrityman
02-05-2012, 10:22 PM
get a scag cheetah or a ferris. those will prolly be your best bet.

I have a Toro Z with a really nice suspension seat & a Toro W/B.

I'm looking at disc surgery #2.....in the near future:cry::cry::cry:.

My back gets along well with the Z....but often doesnt feel so good after using the W/B. The Z though is just too big for certain lawns.

I suppose each back situation is a little different. I get horrendous sciatic pain in my a$$, calf and ankle....Recently Ive found walking causes serious pain.....

grassman177
02-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I have a Toro Z with a really nice suspension seat & a Toro W/B.

I'm looking at disc surgery #2.....in the near future:cry::cry::cry:.

My back gets along well with the Z....but often doesnt feel so good after using the W/B. The Z though is just too big for certain lawns.

I suppose each back situation is a little different. I get horrendous sciatic pain in my a$$, calf and ankle....Recently Ive found walking causes serious pain.....

i share your pain, if you will:weightlifter::cry:

grassman177
02-05-2012, 11:22 PM

weeze
02-06-2012, 01:17 AM
i had a bulging disc a few times but it went away. lifting alot of tree limbs and such is what made mine act up. sitting on the mower didn't seem to hurt it at all. i'm fine now. i just don't plan on doing anymore tree work if possible. dont' wanna do things that cause problems with my health. riding the mower doesn't hurt my back at all. i did have plantar fasciitus when i worked at my other job standing up all day. i quit that job and stopped standing so much and it went away. you just gotta find what works for you. i stand up while trimming, edging, and blowing and sit down while mowing. seems to work best for me when i balance it out. i don't sit all day yet i don't stand all day either.

integrityman
02-06-2012, 09:35 AM
i had a bulging disc a few times but it went away. lifting alot of tree limbs and such is what made mine act up. sitting on the mower didn't seem to hurt it at all. i'm fine now. i just don't plan on doing anymore tree work if possible. dont' wanna do things that cause problems with my health. riding the mower doesn't hurt my back at all. i did have plantar fasciitus when i worked at my other job standing up all day. i quit that job and stopped standing so much and it went away. you just gotta find what works for you. i stand up while trimming, edging, and blowing and sit down while mowing. seems to work best for me when i balance it out. i don't sit all day yet i don't stand all day either.

Thanks for the thoughts jason and all others. My heart goes out to my fellow disc troubled LS friends.

Exact Rototilling
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
So what are the other disc injury veterans doing to prevent further back injuries and often required surgery? In terms of exercise, PT, work restrictions etcetera.

The grass clipping drill with a side catcher is my disc injury agrivator. As much as I believe sitting down and mowing to be hard.on.the back....in my case running a Walker mower with a high lift dump system to avoid the side.catcher.struggle fest may just be less damaging in my situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

integrityman
02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
So what are the other disc injury veterans doing to prevent further back injuries and often required surgery? In terms of exercise, PT, work restrictions etcetera.

The grass clipping drill with a side catcher is my disc injury agrivator. As much as I believe sitting down and mowing to be hard.on.the back....in my case running a Walker mower with a high lift dump system to avoid the side.catcher.struggle fest may just be less damaging in my situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

I mulch or side discharge- never- ever bag...

Exact Rototilling
02-07-2012, 12:04 AM
I mulch or side discharge- never- ever bag...

Yes bagging sucks plain and simple. Most lawn get switched over to mulch mow after the spring growth burst. Side discharge would be very messy on most of my lawns. The reason why so many here run Walkers. At times.I side discharge my commercial since I mow it after hours or on the weekend. Clearing the parking lot of clippings takes more time.than bagging but is easier on my back.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
i hear ya exact, but i aint gonna give up the productivity. flat out, could not get half as much done with wb mowers!

And, if you completely blow your back your productivity would be what?

yardguy28
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
ralph has an EXCELLENT point.

if you push yourself too hard to get productivity up and get hurt or sick what would your productivity be then?

i have friends in the business all the time telling me they've been working 7 days a week from sun up to sun down for this many weeks or in the winter they've been awake this many hours doing snow removal.

if you push yourself to much and get hurt or come down with an illness and can't work then how will your productivity be?

i'm solo so if i don't work, nothing gets done. i'd rather pace myself and work slow and steady to avoid illness or injuries.

in the winter if i know i'm gonna have to be doing snow removal i will go to bed extremely early to get some sleep before i go out. for example if i woke up on a mon. at 6am and found out during the day a snow storm was coming and i'd have to be up around midnight to start doing snow, i'd go to bed around 8pm to get some sleep so i'm not running on no sleep.

Exact Rototilling
02-07-2012, 08:17 PM
And, if you completely blow your back your productivity would be what?

This is why being 100% solo is not such a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

lifetree
02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
I have had back surgery.the stander is way better on my back than a sit down type.my knees act like shocks.

Just wait until you have your knees replaced !!

Exact Rototilling
02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Knee and hip replacement surgery has come a very long way in the last 20 years. The problem with the back is those are also joints and they vastly more difficult to repair, fix etc.

My brother in law had to have back surgery or end up wearing a diaper and to prevent further neurological loss in his foot and leg. He has a state job and it was fully covered. I am in better shape than he is. He still seems clueless as to what causes injury the back or how to brace your self when lifting etc.

I hope I can avoid surgery. I have zero medical insurance away from my vehicles.

I'll post some helpful pointers here in a bit....I hope it will save many needless destruction. Etcetera
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
We got rid of all of our riders and got Wright standers. I have back problems and it only took me demoing a stander for an hour and i was sold. Now we have 12 standers. All my guys love them and producitity went up. My 2 cents.

Exact Rototilling
02-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Hope this helps someone....

033ogPH6NNE

Many of the big NO No's are listed here that are full throttle back thrashers that people do everyday totally unaware of pending damage:
http://www.yourbetterback.com/CoreStabilizationHealthyLowerBack.pdf

Dr. Stuart McGill's material is listed here. http://www.backfitpro.com/ I have all his material except the last DVD.

ralph02813
02-08-2012, 08:46 AM
This is why being 100% solo is not such a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Huh? I think the problem is closer related to truck color!

Show me a person running with a second that only does the work of one guy and the other guy in the truck is like a second lawn mower.
If you really are expandable then get your butt out from behind or off the mower and do other things that bring in more business or tighten up your boz practices especially if your back or knees are in trouble - otherwise run a lot more carefully.